Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you pack your tent?

josephlrobinson
    I have a TBag that came with a cylinder-shaped top bag. I'm able to fit my REI Taj 3 tent in that - poles & all. Then I just strap it to the top of the TBag with the included straps.

Ian
    I like getting an early start, which means packing the tent wet even when it doesn't rain.

My usual tent is 12 years old, made before they had those fancy fitted ground sheets, so I made my own out of that thick painters drop cloth. (Tip: I rolled the edges and taped them, which helps keep water beneath the sheet should you have the misfortune to camp in a flood!)

So when morning comes, I get out of the tent, remove the poles (which have their own perfect little spot in my Jesse bags...), fold the tent, groundcloth andn rainfly all at one time, lengthwise into thirds, roll it up and stuff it into the bag that it came with. The plastic ground sheet serves to keep the wet tent to itself... and I can pack dry stuff on top of it (in their own seal bag).

Then, when reaching my destination for the evening, I just roll out the whole shebang and it's set up in just minutes.

Yes, this means your tent can be wet when you set it up that night, but it dries quickly... definitely before you go to bed, especially when you hang the candle lantern in it for a while. If you packed it wet only from dew, it usually dries during the day when you're riding.

Of course, none of this works if you take a tent that is too damn big, like I did when Mully and I rode to Alaska.

If you're interested in other information about how to pack your bike, be sure to check out the
    BMW MOA Campsite

Thumbs up

How about the Amazingly slick, trick "Tent with no poles" written up on page 52 of this months (April 03') Owners News.
    A bit pricey at $299 to $495 but what a great concept!
    See more info at: www.airzonerecreation.com
    Wish I could afford one.
    Savant
    YB/VP
    Sled Dog Touring Team
    F650GSA

Originally posted by YBNews
    How about the Amazingly slick, trick "Tent with no poles" written up on page 52 of this months (April 03') Owners News.
    A bit pricey at $299 to $495 but what a great concept!
    See more info at: www.airzonerecreation.com
    Wish I could afford one.
    It is a nice idea and a LOT of dough. Since it's still "add to cart" season in MA, I'll be interested in hearing how the Sheepshagger likes his purchase of one.

Ian
    I'd wait and see, too.

Their site says it will hold up a 53-lb kayak... but how gently did they set it on top?

Their site says nothing about wind.

Hard to say... it could work.

Ian

Here is an interesting article about how to choose a tent.

Originally posted by Ian
    I'd wait and see, too.

Their site says it will hold up a 53-lb kayak... but how gently did they set it on top?

Their site says nothing about wind.

Ian
    Nor does it make any claims about resistance to wind pressure generated from inside the tent..........

mully

Originally posted by gsmullins
    Nor does it make any claims about resistance to wind pressure generated from inside the tent..........

mully
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Re: Tent Packing

Originally posted by magwa
    I pack mine in the hotel room.
    Hey Magwa I just saw this post with the picture of the Lund Hotel;bike parking on the heli pad was allowed then,but they have now fenced it off.

You were at the northern terminus of Hwy 101-in my town!!

Give us a heads up next time!

Will Do!

Not surprised that they roped that area off. It was usable and a pleasant place to park. Why should bikes be allowed!! 8^)

Hey! I also met an interesting guy with , I think, a /6. He was a shrimp fisherman from Powell River.

I think he hated the American Government and shared with me several examples of issues that reasonably supported why he should.

I think his first name was Brian, but I'm not sure on that one. He and I shared a common malady. I sent him an extra seat, since his was "holy".

You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I'd love to meet you for dinner at one of the restaurants on Powell Lake some time.

Thanks for the note.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Somehow, I lived through this ...

How I pack

I learned this from an Airhead buddy about 5 years ago.

I use a large dufflebag with outside pockets.

I put everything I need for the campsite in the dufflebag. I roll my 7x7 Sundome up like a sleeping bag and tie it with a small bungy. My ground cover is a sheet of disposable plastic I throw away.

I use my saddle bags for food and clothing.

Inbetween camping I empty the duffle and check everything and put it back.

This is a highly efficient way for me to stay organized with most everything in one place all the time.

It's worked well for maybe 15 trips so far.

Here's my tent...(shown next to the most photographed cat in the world-Toby for scaling). As you can see, it packs nice and small into it's own stuff sack. It weighs 2.5 lbs (hence the Expedition 2.5 name) and can be purchased from Hennessyhammock.com....here's a pic of it set up, too.
    Chris
    Scotch Plains, NJ

'02 R1100SA

Guess I can't put more than one picture in a post.....there is also a camo fly included but it's not set up in this picture. By the way..the hammock tents are available in other colors besides camo.
    Chris
    Scotch Plains, NJ

'02 R1100SA

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I want to see that baby set up out in the desert
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

As Hellen2Wheels said, "keep the dirty from the clean".
    I packed my bag poles first, the fly, the tent, footprint(drop cloth), last. Goes in the order it will be needed. I put it in a duffle and strapped it to the rack for sitting on the rear seat. 1 inch x 68" straps. I ran the straps through the slots in the rack, used a 'slip ring' (I call it a "M" buckle) to hold it to the rack. Two snap buckles hold the bag to the bike. The duffle was a gym bag so I used the side pockets for water, camera and extra snacks.
    Just finished 3400 miles with NO problems.
    Great Rally, even in the sun.