View Poll Results: Did you ever own a VW Beetle?

Voters
332. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, sure did.

246 74.10%
  • Nope

52 15.66%
  • I've got a New Beetle does that count?

7 2.11%
  • I had some other kind of aircooled boxer motor like a Porsche or a Bus

27 8.13%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

userw5
    In the early 1979 I purchased a '66 Beetle for $50. It had been sitting in this lady's driveway for about a year, but I was able to get it started and air in the tires. As I was backing it out of the driveway, I stepped on the brakes and the pedal went right to the floor. I drove it home, about 50 miles, with no brakes (well only a hand brake). I was following my dad in his pick-up, he said if I had to stop in an emergency to hit him. Stepping back a minute; the lady I brought it from felt kind of bad that the car had no brakes and no gas that she followed us to the gas station down the street and filled up the tank. (about $10) After I got the car home I was cleaning it up and I found all sorts of change, tools, and maps under the seats and floor mats. The joke in our family was that car only cost me $34.50. Here's the kicker. I put Continental radial ($75 each in 1979) tires on it and drove the car 30k+ miles over the next three years. If any of you are familiar with that vintage Bug, will know that was before they got heavy with all the safety and emissions stuff. That car was so light the tires barely wore. The guy I eventually sold the car to thought the tires were brand new. I told him how old they were, but he didn't believe me. Sold it for $600. Wish I could find a couple more deals like that.
    Jeff

tjc9680
    My first car was a 63 VW with a slider sun roof. My wifes first car 1969 VW. Latter on in our marriage we had a 73 Super Beetle with a sun roof. I restored a 68 convertible, a 57 oval window, a 69 Camper Van and a 67 Beetle . We lovde them all . Loads of fun and easy to work on.

Blocking the slow lane
    My father bought a new 1971 Beetle for $1800, in the worst shade of light yellow. The dealer also had a red one for sale, but my dad thought the black interior would be too hot in the eastern Washington summer, so he bought the ugly yellow one. We still tease him about that.

He drove it 14 miles a day to work for over a decade, and eventually taught both my sister and I how to drive with it. I took it over full-time in 1982, and then my sister took it from me in 1984. I spent hours keeping the ugly paint looking beautiful (back when you could wax a car and actually see results), and it never let us down. I remember being small enough to actually ride in the parcel shelf behind the rear seats!

When my sister graduated from HS in 1986 and headed to college, my father took a job overseas. We decided to sell the Beetle and keep the more modern Mazda GLC, and the first person who showed up to look drove off with it. It might still be in Spokane for all we know. My sister drove the Mazda for two months before it expired in a heap of flames, and ended up with a brand new VW Golf. Dammit.

Now we have a bay-window Westy that is even older than the Beetle. I was thinking fondly of the old days last Saturday afternoon........while my wife was towing me and the bus back home after the fuel pump expired.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

My fellow Americans (or not) may I say to you that I love this thread. Thanks to Kbasa for starting it and to whomever had the bright idea to re-start it.
    When I have to drive something with 4 wheels I bought a snappy '87 Ford Ranger with the really baaaaad salmon/green paint job, BUT what I really wanted was a Bug. They are mighty hard to find around here. I found one but it was beyond my ability to make workable. It had a Fred Flintstone floor and electrical problems and the seats were doo-doo. Dang.
    My wife told me about one that was for sale by the road last week about 2 miles from the house and by the time I went to look at it........gone!
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

When I hit 40, I decided I needed to bump up my student loan balance a bit, and started back at night to school at CSU working on a degree.

Somehow I acquired a VW bus about 84-85 model I forget?, but with all the bells and whistles, everything from the little cab heater that ran on gasoline (Scary) to the fridge and sink and cook stove topped off with the raise and lower topper! All canvas was included, and I loved my little study hall on wheels!

Gutless? Absolute! Required fixing? 84 bus in 95 yep needs parts all the time!

I had more fun with that thing! Wish I had a picture!

Why yes I did! It fell and broke its leg though, so I had to shoot it!
    Avatars_Star-Wars_Stormtrooper_buggy.gif
    Mark Evans
    1974 R 75/6
    "Life is a state of mind"

My project this Christmas is to scan the old family photos and compile them onto CD's for everyone, and eventually (I won't get them ALL scanned before this Christmas) produce a DVD with background music. While scanning, I ran across a photo of my earliest experience with a Beetle and recalled this thread, I think I was 1 (2 more likely?) year old...

Last edited by wmubrown; 12-18-2007 at 01:09 PM.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

lets see the face now! see how much ya changed!

http://www.monksvoice.com

I could be the voice you're hearing.

My first car was a 1969 Bug convertible - my Dad had bought it new and rarely used it so it was in pretty good shape for sitting around collecting dust for 15 years. Still miss that car.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

love those bugs

My first car was a 60 Bug. I started driving in 1974 so it was well used by then. It even had a sunroof. No fuel gauge, just flip a lever with my foot when it started to run out of gas and wait for the engine to start running again. We gave it to someone who made a dune buggy out of it. Second car was a 70 VW bus. Lots of room but no power. Third car was a 74 Super Beetle. I wish I still had that one. Those were the last cars I ever worked on myself.

Mark
    04 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywork View Post
    lets see the face now! see how much ya changed!

Then & Now (I'm taller now):
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

sfdave
    No Beetle, just crazy enough to own four buses.... 69, 70, 71 and finally a 80 Vanagon. Fun, but just not reliable for an unabashed speeder.

Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

My first was a '68 that I bought my senior year in college. I paid $1,850 for it and traded it in four year later on a Mercedes 220D and got $1,450 on the trade in.

I had a '73 Super Beetle in 1984-86. My daughter was in high school at the time and was ashamed for me to pick her up in it in her friends' presence. Her friends proclaimed it cool and after that it was OK for me to drive it.

They were great cars that provide basic transportation with low operating costs. I would buy another one, if the made them in the same style as the old ones. I don't care much for the New Beetle.

wsteinborn
    Well, I didn't own it but my Dad did. When we went to Hawaii, our car ended up staying on the boat and going to Turkey.

Dad bought the last of the 6-volt beetles (1965? possibly early 1966)

It was becomming mine until when I was 18 a woman ran a red light and cut the beetle in half and slammed it into a third car.. My Dad was standing 100 feet away and figured he lost his #2 son, but it only cost me a broken nose, a busted up hand from going theough the radiom, some bruises, and new glasses. And a traffic ticket. (Totally wrong and unfair.)

In 1987 I came close to buying a reconditioned beetle until I looked at the engine.

IRONMAN

The old Beetle Smile?

Remember the old Beetle smile? The front bumpers were always bent down in the middle so they looked like they were smiling at you.

Man I Loved that old 65.