View Poll Results: Did you ever own a VW Beetle?

Voters
332. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, sure did.

246 74.10%
  • Nope

52 15.66%
  • I've got a New Beetle does that count?

7 2.11%
  • I had some other kind of aircooled boxer motor like a Porsche or a Bus

27 8.13%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

first car was a 1953 Chevy Coupe. but my dad had a Super Beetle.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Rally Rat
    Yep, back in the 60's in Germany. Also had an air-cooled Porsche in the 80's. The engine caught fire on a very hot day in IN. The rebuild was injection.

We had a '73 Super Beetle Sport, bright yellow, my Mom had a '74 Sun Bug, and my Mother-in-law had a Karmann Ghia way back in the 50's. My new car is a '13 Beetle TDI.

At our club meeting last Sunday, I asked how many in attendance owned a VW, almost every single person raised their hand.

Something about those boxer engines, I guess.

Nice to see this old thread continue.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    At our club meeting last Sunday, I asked how many in attendance owned a VW, almost every single person raised their hand.

Something about those boxer engines, I guess.

Nice to see this old thread continue.
    Toyota (SCION) and Subaru are both making variants of a Boxer sports car which getting nice press..
    http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/
    http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Owned a VW

Yes, there is something about those Boxer engines. My wife and I each owned a Beetle when we got married in 1981, we took my 73 on the honeymoon. Since then, have gone to Toyota for daily, high mile, use, but still keep some sort of old VW around for fun. After restoring and winning many VW shows with our cars, we now have a 73 Thing in better than new condition. My grandfather started this obsession in me when I was just a kid, he had a 1957, and thought it was the best engineered vehicle on the road.

By far the worst car I've owned but it would run in a state of mechanical degadation that would stop most stuff- once drove it 1500 miles with only 1 bank of cylinders working- talk about underpowered..
    The broken kingpins get annoying as did the complete lack of reesisitance to rusting out- but at least hole finally rusted through by the rear seat so that water that ran in under the gas pedal and had a tendency to freeze and stick the pedal to the floor could just run out that back..
    No heat, no defogging, learning to shift with one hand, wipe the inside of the windshiled with the other while steering with a knee..

When I was young and dirt poor it was OK. Today I wouldn't take one for free...

LOL! I remember those days well! My '73 left me stranded in some of the worst areas. In addition to the no heat (in winter I'd wear a snowmobile suit if I had to drive very far), I remember scraping ice off the inside of the windshield to see where I was going. The fuel gage gave out and I had to keep a mileage log and a careful eye on the odometer. Even still, I 'd run out of gas on occasion, usually in a scary area with no help nearby. I took to keeping a full jerry can in the trunk. We also suffered a broken crank shaft and a broken torsion bar. We ended up giving our mechanic a key. He'd get to the shop on Monday morning to find the bug parked out front and give us a call to see what was wrong with it now. When we finally couldn't take it any more, one of his staff bought it from us, probably for parts.

Oddly enough, I ADORED that car!

I used a Coleman catalytic heater in our VW van during the winter. Of course it put out tremendous amounts of water vapor so you had to drive with the windows down.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

1st car I actually bought was a 6yr-old 1964 40hp beetle for $400. Really not a very good car, but it ran and I learned how to shift and wrench on it. Last year I bought a brand new 40hp boxer Ural for about 40 time more $$$! The 2 are pretty similar in top speed, acceleration, strange handling, 1930ish-engineering, I must be reliving my childhood.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

What a crack up. I loved our Beetle and our Karman Gia, our VW camper van?.. not so much.

Radwife and I were flat broke college students with that Beatle. The heater boxes were rusted and too stuck to be moved by the old heater cable so two times a year I went under the car to either open the boxes by hand or close them. That meant each fall we had to decide when we wanted full heat all the time for the winter and each spring we decided when we wanted no heat until next fall. Of course right after changing the heater we would get an Indian summer or a cold spell and we would subsequently roast or freeze. To be young.
    Last edited by rad; 04-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.

1 beetle (64), 1 Karman Ghia (69), 1 Porsche Super 90 (62). Great memories from all of them. I forgot the 72 KG.

RIDE SAFE
    Last edited by Rpbump; 04-24-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

My fist car was a 1970 Bug. Then I picked up a 66 Bus. How I wish i still had the bus. Thought about getting another one. Then I saw how much they're going for. Found a decent looking one.....$15,000. 20 years ago, I couldn't get rid of the thing for more than 1500.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Had a 1970 VW Beetle. Lived in Cadillac, Michigan where the average snowfall was 12 feet a year...it never melted until mid April. I carried a big shovel and used it to lever the Bug through snowdrifts....you put the car in gear, use the shovel to lever it forward and if it takes off run and catch up to the car and jump inside. My pregnant wife hated the car. I drove the snot out of it and thought it was great fun. On a really good day it got 20 mpg and that was supposed to be a fuel efficient car.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

A 1965 red beetle that was my Dad's and given to me as my high school driver that I turned into a Baja Bug with fiberglass fenders and crash bars front and rear. Also had dual headers with glass packs with skinny tires up font and really gnarly off road tires on the back. I was chased all over the hills of southern Orange County CA by the OC Sheriffs.....man to be sixteen again. Not to mention the 1968 blue bug that I lowerered and bored out the 1600 to an 1800 with dual port heads.... Now we were chased all over San Clemente ,CA by the local PD sliding the little car all over town. I remember ordering all kinds of interior items for it right out of the J.C. Whitney catalog. Oh but my favorite was the 1968 baby blue Squareback that was my surfmobile. I woud but the boards on top and all my gear in the back with the seat down. Made a nice little space to cuddle with my beach babe when we would camp out at Doheny or San Onofre. And last but not least was my Dad's 1970 Van that was passed on to me when I took a road trip up the coast of California all the way up from So Cal to Bodega Bay, camping out at State Parks all the way up. I guess the best things about those cars were the memories that were made with them. The only survivor is the VW van that one of my brothers has now and is slowly bringing it back to life.

My most recent boxers are my 2006 Cayman S and 2010 911 Carrerra 4S. A far cry from the bugs and van. And of course the boxer that brings me here my 2011 RT. Thanks for asking the question and making me recall those fond memories.