View Poll Results: Did you ever own a VW Beetle?

Voters
332. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, sure did.

246 74.10%
  • Nope

52 15.66%
  • I've got a New Beetle does that count?

7 2.11%
  • I had some other kind of aircooled boxer motor like a Porsche or a Bus

27 8.13%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

Re: VW Reminiscing

Originally posted by GS Tom
    My first VW was a 1967 dark blue beetle I bought in 1970.
    Woah. My first car was exactly like that: dark blue '67 VW beetle.

Mine had a Holley BugSpray, hi lift rockers, a quietpack exhaust and the Bosch .009 exhaust.

That crappy old fuel line gave up on me and the car caught fire and burned. I was heartbroken.

Super Beetles, to answer the question above, were an evolution of the standard beetle (or Type 1 as VW called them). VW ditched the torsion bar front end and went with a McPherson strut. They're easy to recognize by their curved windshields.

They still had lousy heat.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

YESSIR I Did

I see quite a few of us have had a beetle or Volkswagon at some time. I have had a 63 bug and a 74 beetle, but most of my VW memories were from the fact that my Dad was the Parts Manager of a Volkswagon Dealership for a good number of years. During that time our family had about every model offered because the Dealership furnished him with a car. I can remember even the pickup truck model and camper we used on vacations. I really liked the fastbacks and squarebacks but the Ghia's were fun as well. What I liked the most was when he would be allowed to keep one of the new Porsche's for a while! To bad I wasn't old enough to drive. Anyway I still have the memories.

dlearl476
    My lifelong love of "German things mechanical" started with a '60 "Kombi"* 21 (?) window, sunroof bus that my family picked up at the factory on Euro delivery prior to touring Europe in it when I was 8.

We kept it til 72. We added a '68 bug (New $1700, IIRC) in which I learned to drive and once I graduated High School, I had four throughout college. '71, '68, '64, and '72.

With me, it's far from over. Currently own a R60/5, a '69 912, and my daily driver, a '79 911SC. My brother has it bad as well. Currently owns a R75/5, and four buses including a rare crew cab truck and an extemely rare double door Westfalia.

*"Kombi" was a rare Euro bus with a special removable camping outfit by Westfalia that could be interchanged with a "9 passenger" seating arrangement.

More thoughts

The old beetle, or Type 1, or 'sedan' as I've seen some literature refer to it as, was never officially called the Beetle or Bug except for the Super Beetle. Sedan BTW does not mean four doors, but rather is a body-style type that most four-door cars just happen to be. But of course the modern usage has changed the definition a bit.

The heaters were indeed bad. I recall my stepmother's bug, a '72 I think, in which I was driven to school many times and I found that I was comfortable with my foot resting against the floor vent. It melted vent-grill marks into my shoe but I still froze above the knee. J.C. Whitney used to offer an electric fan kit that could be retrofitted to move the heat through the pipes. It was on my shopping list of dream stuff for that car until I totalled it in a hydroplaning accident at the beginning of 12th grade.

I also remember the time I locked my keys in it at school. Our security guy kept his Slim Jim at home and I had to wait 45 minutes for him to go get it. From then on I left the vent windows unlocked just in case. I was the only person in my high school with long enough forearms to reach in through the vent window, make the 90-degree elbow bend and be able to reach the door lock knob. I have of course learned since then not to leave my keys in the car. With many modern types you can't unless you really try to.

I've heard that English is not the only language in which the car is made fun of. In Germany they call it the Kaefer, which means beetle or bug. I heard a German refer to a soft-topped Karmann Ghia as a Kafer Karmann Cabrio once. In Norway the car was referred to as the Elk's Lip. I don't know why or how to say that in Norwegian.

And only Freud would understand the odd fascination people had with the car's back end.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Sitting?? Who mentioned sitting?

My method of driving with my head out the sunroof did not involve sitting. It was more holding the steering wheel with both hands and a half standing/crouching position.
    The seat was in the back of my calves. Worked great and as a young man I could hold that position for long periods of time.
    Funny, I don't remember being unhappy with the heat situation in the car. I had always heard they had lousy heat, maybe I had a defective one....
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

BMWRich58
    My first car was a Red '66 Bug. My older brother was next to inherit this car for commuting downtown to college. His girlfriend crashed it into a telephone pole while learning to drive,so the story goes....
    Next was a dark green '68 Bug,which I used as a "guinea pig" to learn bodywork on. I sold that car back n forth between family members,(brother and sister,brother-in-law,etc.) and friends at least 4-6 times. When they would screw it up bad,engine,brakes, or body,I'd buy it back and fix it and drive it.
    Last time it was sold to a friend who moved to Arkansas in 1981.
    Next was a '76 VW Rabbit,I traded a Jeep for. I again sold it to a family member,my Dad. I bought my first "Touring Motorcycle" with the money,a 1981 Moto Guzzi G-5 1000. Dad broke the cam in the Rabbit,I got it back and repaired it. Kept it for a year or two and sold it to someone I don't remember.
    Now I currently own a '98 Golf,#1 son drives it more than I now. So, now the hunt is on to find a VW TDI.

1970 Beetle

One of the greatest cars I ever owned. Number 1 son posing next to it just after we bought it in the winter of 1970 in Michigan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dlearl476
    >The heaters were indeed bad.

True, but the fan ended all that. The difference is unbelievable. At some point Porsches all came with them and if I lived in a cold climate I wouldn't drive anything else. Idle the cold car for 2-3 minutes and the heat exchangers are piping hot and blowing out hair-dryer-hot air.
    The only thing that ever came close was the BMW 2002 that I installed a circulating AC water heater when I lived in Denver and lived two miles from work. In the winter the car never warmed up and fouled plug every other week. With the water heater, you started the car and it was already warm, even on the coldest winter mornings.

I think Spider started a trend. How many of us have PICTURES with their bugs or busses? I'll have to dig, but I'm sure I have doozy somewhere. Somewhere in a box I have the original, in german, factory brochure of our Combi.

Other airheads

Never had a VW but had a Corvair and a Greenbriar van. Same type of heater as the VW. Air passes over exhaust manifold and is routed in to cab. A bad valve cover gasket would allow oil to leak on to manifold, making for a very smokey drive.
    One night we picked up a hitch hiker and for kicks, we opened up the heat vent. He rode with us about two blocks and begged to be let out. We obliged, shut the vent and proceeded to laugh like hell the rest of the night.
    A good buddy was a veedub man. We always had a good time driving all night on a bucks worth of gas.
    A former work partner had a 30 mile commute in a VW. In the winter, he'd burn a hibachi in the morning warm to keep warm.
    I had almost forgotten what no heater was like. Temps. been in the single digits every morning for the last 2 weeks here in Michigan. I love my Tacoma and it's wonderful heat.
    Ron R

Don't forget your towel
    My first VW was a 1967 Single Cab Pickup, followed by a '63 sunroof sedan with traffic signs for floors. Current 4 wheeled vehicle is a Westy Vanagon with a 2.2l subaru motor in place of the waterleaker.

My wifes drives the Jetta

Steve

BMWRich58
    Everyone's talking about the "lack of heat" these little cars had.
    I remember "oh so well", to literally having to scrape the Frost off the inside of the windshield from your breath freezing up.

Thanks Rich, I'd forgotten that!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

My first car was a 1966 VW bug. I purchased it in 1972 with 189,000 miles on it and sold it in 1975 with 275,000 miles on it. When I bought it , it had an engine tranplant /rebuild at about 175,000 miles.

My girlfriend at the time called it "mooky Blue" Kinda of a faded dark blue.

I purchased that car after comuting to High School on my 1971 Honda CL 350 in the winter of 71 and 72.

Back then I allways wanted a BMW 2002 Tii.
    Craig Cleasby
    South Windsor, CT
    1996 K1100LT
    2004 R1150GS
    Yankee Beemers

ian408
    I never owned one but I learned to drive a stick in one!

A buddy of mine and I were driving down the road when he
    pulls over and asks "do you know how to drive a stick?" of
    course, I said no. And from that day until I bought my truck,
    I drove manual transmission cars.

ian

P.S. It was a bright blue '67 with an ass-kickin' stereo in it

My first ever car in 1971 was a 1962 beetle,black.I bought really cool white leather bucket seats for it.I lived in Winnipeg-it had no gas heater.I had it for about 3 years!!I was determined to keep it running and developed a fierce protective loyalty to it.Gold plated that sucker by the time i traded .