View Poll Results: Did you ever own a VW Beetle?

Voters
332. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, sure did.

246 74.10%
  • Nope

52 15.66%
  • I've got a New Beetle does that count?

7 2.11%
  • I had some other kind of aircooled boxer motor like a Porsche or a Bus

27 8.13%
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

Hybrid View

Have you ever owned a VW Beetle?

OK, Cliffy made me do it. There's a discussion going on about tools and it turns out a bunch of folks have owned Beetles. The question was posted, "I wonder how many BMW riders have owned a Beetle?"

So, have you?

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

brooksie
    I owned a couple- a '62 and a '71
    Both were a blast! The old one got turned into a buggy and died in the middle of a river. The '71 got wrapped around a telephone pole (my fault)

Hello; My first new car was a 68 beetle deluxe, in 78 I had a 61 beetle that served us well for a year. I have had a lot of VW vans too, in fact I still have one.
    I was always fasinated with the horiZontally opposed engine design.
    That is waht drew me to BMW motorcycles.

Yep.
    1973 Superbeetle, in that oh so special kelly green w/tan interior. It was a hoot to drive for a crazed 16 year old. I learned that if you connected various dangling wires hanging around the fan belt the car might sometimes start. She died a slow death in our hands.

My first car was a '73 super as well. Mine way that sky-blue colour, ar at least was inside the doors. The P.O. had painted it a really RIPPING shade of dark metallic blue, quite similar to a shade you can get on the new beetle oddly enough. Mine had a few problems here and there, but the last week of its life it ran REALLY well! Then I hydroplaned it into the ass-end of a '76 Monte Carlo at 40 mph. Long story how it all happened but I wated until the last minute and flicked the wheel to the left and put the empty passenger side into the impact. The passenger door was right next to my face and the passenger seat was behind the one I was sitting in!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Gary99
    Had a '73 Super. It was a major dog. They changed the motor, or emissions gear that year, and it wouldn't get out of it's own way. Kept it one year, but did sell it for $100 less than I paid for it.

Back in 1976

my folks gave me the down payment on a 75 Super Beetle for graduation. It was gold, with the de-luxe interior including cocoa matts on the floor. Loved that car. I could drive with most of my head sticking out of the sunroof (I'm 6'3") and did so much of the time.
    Had an 8 track player and I went to Remes Auto and bought some two way box speakers and lots of extra wire - I was popular at parties cuz I could put the speaks on the top of the car and play our jams.
    My step-mom used to screw up the fuel injection every time she drove it ("No, you don't have to pump the pedal when you start it - really!") and it would cost me $35 bucks to get it fixed.
    That was big money for an 18 year old in 1976.
    Car was sold when I got a wild hair and took off for Arizona the next year on my Honda 750.

ps - thanks kbasa for meddling and putting this up!
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Subzero Scooter Idiot oldcarkook's Avatar

I'm in the bug club!

My second car was a '49 VW split window beetle. It had semifores for turn signals, and a whopping 30 hp motor that would get into 3rd going downhill with a tailwind.

I have regretted many times that I don't still have it. I didn't realize at the time ('69) how rare it was; I think it was the first year that the VW was imported into the US.

Coulda shoulda woulda
    Experience is the comb that mother nature gives us when we are bald

gulfcoastbeemer
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcarkook View Post
    My second car was a '49 VW split window beetle. It had semifores for turn signals, and a whopping 30 hp motor that would get into 3rd going downhill with a tailwind.

I have regretted many times that I don't still have it. I didn't realize at the time ('69) how rare it was; I think it was the first year that the VW was imported into the US.

Coulda shoulda woulda
    Charles Lindbergh, the aviator, lived in my hometown in the '60s. He had that exact year VW. Obviously, he could have owned and driven any automobile -- he loved his Bugs and continued to own them through the years.

He is a link to a historical site and one of Lindbergh's later Bugs. http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conserv...gh_beetle.html
    Last edited by gulfcoastbeemer; 11-06-2007 at 02:26 PM.

USERNAME
    i still have my 1973 bus. (3rd owner.) nothing quite like it really. spacious inside, nice and slow, and when it gets cold, the exhaust can be vented into the cabin to warm me up! mmmm, im warm....and sleepy.

I had a 66 bug. The engine was punched out to over 1800cc. The heads were worked, a Judson supercharger and a Holly Bug spray. It went 110 MPH and got 12 MPG.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mogu83 View Post
    I had a 66 bug. The engine was punched out to over 1800cc. The heads were worked, a Judson supercharger and a Holly Bug spray. It went 110 MPH and got 12 MPG.
    I had a 67 square back that had about 12 hp and got about 110 MPG

I had a 74 Super Beetle, loved that car, could drift it through an exit ramp using just the throttle.

Then had a 74 Bus, converted that to full electric.

Now I have a 2000 Beetle TDI and a 1986 Vanagon Syncro.

So, ya. I like VW.
    http://www.monksvoice.com

I could be the voice you're hearing.

HONDARIDER
    When I was still in high school, I saw a book in the book store...something like VW Bugs for Dummies...great book...the book got me interested in spinning wrenches long before I ever even owned a car...I knew every page...I still have a pristine copy on the shelf and a greasy copy in the shop...that book led me to own a 73 Super Beetle (sucky), a 62 Beetle, a 67 Beetle, a 72 Bus, and a Meyers Manx on a 57 tub. I drove Bugs all through my time in the Army. Still a fan of the mechanical simplicity, durable design, and the sound of an air cooled motor

have you ever owned a VW bettle

My first post.

The first one was a 66 then I moved onto a 68. My first van was a 72. Boy, I loved those vehicles. I spoted this one in lower SC, a 90 camper. If it could talk, the fun I had in that van. I went many years without a VW and just 3mo's ago. I found a the new style bettle 98 TDI, with less than 18k on it. It is a joy to ride, I call it my poor man's "Porsche". I love riding my LT but nothing beats the fun of driving a VW in heavy traffic. Tk's for the chance of re-living the past and good times. MK