Thread: Car Ferry

Rally Rat

Car Ferry

Just a question about crossing a body of water on a Car Ferry. Has anyone done it? Would there be any concerns? Conditions would have to be right, but if the cycle was on the center stand it seems like it should work. I know I've cossed the Wisconsin River at Merrimac on route 113 just North of Lodi w/ my jeep before, wondered about doing it w/ the motorcycle. State Road 60 then takes you back to the Interstate. So either heading to or from W. Bend this might be a diversion.

Quote Originally Posted by swbell View Post
    I've cossed the Wisconsin River at Merrimac on route 113 just North of Lodi w/ my jeep before, wondered about doing it w/ the motorcycle. State Road 60 then takes you back to the Interstate. So either heading to or from W. Bend this might be a diversion.
    No problem with your motorcycle. Smooth crossing. Price is right. Free

Quote Originally Posted by swbell View Post
    Just a question about crossing a body of water on a Car Ferry. Has anyone done it? Would there be any concerns? Conditions would have to be right, but if the cycle was on the center stand it seems like it should work.
    Don't even think about putting the bike on the center stand. Side stand only and depending on the body of water your crossing and the ferry they will tie your bike to the deck or the bulkhead. They may give you the straps and let you do it yourself. If your bike drops it's your loss either way.
    Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife.

Groucho Marx

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    You might consider bringing along your own set of tie-downs, and use theirs as extra's.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Just about every year when I go to the Dells rally I take the Ferry on the Wisconsin. It has always been sunny when we went and my bike was always on it's center stand. Everyone I ride with uses their center stand.
    No bike has ever fallen over in our group. We often leave them unattended but it's a short trip. I am not saying anybody else is wrong, that has just been my experience on that Ferry If you are talking about the Lake Michigan Ferry, I have never gone but I hear tie downs would be a good idea. They may even be required.

If you are interested, there is an scenic overlook near the Ferry, called Gibralter Rock. There is about a .3 of a mile hike, up steep switchbacks to the top, with a beautiful view of the river and area. There are detailed maps on the page but it is on Hwy V, west of 113 between Lodi and the Ferry. You used to be able to ride up *sigh*
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 05-24-2007 at 02:41 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Just so everybody is clear, the Merrimac ferry is only a couple-minutes ride and you can stay with the bike. Same with the Door County/Washington Island ferry. On the Badger and the Express, once your bike is placed, you'll be above-decks with no access to the bike until you disembark. I do know that the Badger can "rumble" when maneuvering in the harbor. Plan accordingly.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Like so many of the attractions around Wisconsin. I would not plan a trip around this one but if your route takes you close ... its worth the stop ... or a ride.
    http://www.tn.merrimac.wi.gov/ferry.htm
    '05 K1200LT Gold
    MOA Member #125415

Car Ferry Info

Anyone thinking of taking either of the Lake Michigan ferries should look at these websites.

http://www.ssbadger.com/

http://www.lake-express.com/

They give the requirements for motorcycles. Keep in mind that a large number of bikes will probably be aboard so I suggest everyone have their own tie downs.

LR

SS Badger

SO & I booked passage on the Badger for July. They required that we bring 2 tie downs each. Not riding through Chicago - priceless.
    Gar