Thread: Zumo causing ABS faults

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite518 View Post
    It's the weirdest thing, but when I start my bike with the Zumo on, the ABS faults. At first I thought it was a low battery, and even replaced it after only 3 years. Same thing with new battery. Finally yesterday after repeated occurrences I was able to isolate it to the Zumo. It's definitely repeatable. Zumo on, start bike, ABS fault. Zumo off, start bike, no ABS fault. It's a headscratcher.

Bike is a 96 R1100 RS with multiple electrical farkles and two AP-1 fuse blocks, one switched, the other direct. I thought by moving the Zumo to the switched block, it would shut off when I press the starter button, but no. Odd, because my V1 recycles on starter thumb. Zumo stays on. I guess it switches to the internal battery during the short interval when it loses bike power.

Help!
    Yes! Wierd!

The only thing I can think of is that the GPS receiver is emitting RF which is messing up the ABS self test. That seems really remote - but I don't know what else to think.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

If the battery was not completely charged on my '97 R11R, when I started the bike it would show an ABS fault. From what I've read it was a flaw with the early ABS systems. You might want to try charging the bike for several hours to make sure it has a complete charge and then start it.

Just because the battery is new does not mean it has a full charge.

You might want to try starting it with another device plugged into the system instead of the Zumo.

Easy

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."
    Dave Barry

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite518 View Post
    It's the weirdest thing, but when I start my bike with the Zumo on, the ABS faults.

Help!
    Wire it directly to the battery. It draws mere milliamps, and it will remain on and usable when you shut off the bike.