Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: motorcycle trailer

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Is there some shame attached to having a BMW on a trailer?

I trailered mine to Elizabeth, Illinois two weekends ago. Went to spend some time with friends. Nancy doesn't ride on the back of the bike. I wanted to do the Slimey Crud Run. A win, win. I got to have my wife with me for most of the trip (which I enjoy) and also got to do the Run.

In August, a riding buddy and I are going to spend a week in Ouray, Colorado riding some of the best mountain roads in Colorado. To get there, the bike is going to be on a trailer. Why, because my buddy doesn't want to ride a over a thousand miles on his bike. He is taking a trailer and I will split gas with him.

I trailer and am not ashamed to admit it.

So if you see a trailer with a R 1100 RT on it in Kansas during August, honk and wave.

PS If some how, in your mind, it makes me not a "real" BMW rider, I don't care.
    AMEN!

I trailer my bike all the time and I always get a good chuckle out of militants who rant and rage against trailering. I find this especially entertaining when they are reaching for a beer out of the cooler that arrived in the trailer. Not that anyone in this thread has every benefited from the Toy Box.

I have a Kendon Dual Rail that I purchased used from a MOA member over the winter. I couldn't be happier. For a rental I suggest you get a landscape trailer from u-haul on a one way out and back. I don't know if they do one way rentals on the landscape models, every time I have rented I returned to the point of origin for a daily rate of $10.

I will be using my Kendon in August to take my bike out to St. Louis for the Iron Butt Rally. Yup, trailer for 1,200, ride 11,000 and trailer it home. I guess that makes my RTP a "trailer queen".

I have TWO trailers...a single flatbed w/ a Bike-pro wheel chock...it's used for rescues and hauling ANY bike anywhere...I don't care if I catch noise over having a bike on a trailer...it has held BMW's,Hondas,HD's and one old Yamaha. I lend it out if I do not get convinced to pull it for someone who cannot.

I also have a 16' enclosed with spots for 4 road bikes/ more if you got them cozy!...bought it from a fellow with 6 dirtbikes and needed to downsize... Was going to use it for a family ride to Sturgis from TX...not everyone wanted to ride the whole way. I was told on that trip I have to leave the beemers at home...I think NOT!it may be in the trailer while I have to drive the truck. but I think it will fit!

Then you have the awesome house on wheels of Motor31 and the one I saw in Branson...NO SHAME in "trailering" with those set-ups!!
    Hey, if it saves some tires for another run...pull away!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Trailers get a bad rap from the 'ride everywhere' crowd but I'm sure it's in jest. There are some great benefits to a trailer. I live in the boring flats of Raleigh, NC. It is a long, boring, 3 hour interstate ride to get to the good mountain roads (Deal's Gap, Cherohala Skyway, etc.): some of the best roads in the country. Using a trailer allows me to leave early in the AM when I'm a bit sleepy, drink a coffee in the truck, and cross the 3 hours of flatlands. Then, I ride 10 to 14 hours in the great roads until dark. At that point, it's dark and I'm beaten and tired, and my butt is sore (Corbin seat not withstanding). It is a great feeling, as the Sun sets, to put the bike on the trailer and just set the truck cruise control and relax for the boring 3 hours home.

Previously, I'd ride home, and it either ate up my time leaving early or I'd be riding exhausted, and that's not safe.

Trailer does not equal bad; sometimes, it equals smart!

Robo

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    AMEN!

I trailer my bike all the time and I always get a good chuckle out of militants who rant and rage against trailering. I find this especially entertaining when they are reaching for a beer out of the cooler that arrived in the trailer. Not that anyone in this thread has every benefited from the Toy Box.

I have a Kendon Dual Rail that I purchased used from a MOA member over the winter. I couldn't be happier. For a rental I suggest you get a landscape trailer from u-haul on a one way out and back. I don't know if they do one way rentals on the landscape models, every time I have rented I returned to the point of origin for a daily rate of $10.

I will be using my Kendon in August to take my bike out to St. Louis for the Iron Butt Rally. Yup, trailer for 1,200, ride 11,000 and trailer it home. I guess that makes my RTP a "trailer queen".

Another vote for Kendon.....I have a single rail which stands up in a distant corner of my garage when not in use. I have also used the small U-Haul variety from time to time. In addition to being able to rescue a disabled bike, it also allows my family to travel to remote areas with the chuck wagon along when we get there, but to still be able to ride. Don't care who likes it or not ( I get a real kick out of some of the real biker/rider/motorcyclist/beemer owner rants).....if I want to trailer, I will do so.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    ... sad but true. Spline breakdown and Penske rental became home for a couple of days. -Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I'm in the trailering crowd, too. We trailer the bike behind the motorhome. When we get where we're going, we have our two dogs with us, and all the comforts of home. Trailered to VT, and we weren't the only ones.
    Dan

mrich12000

Exclamation oops

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    My true confession:

My first bike came home on the back of a friend's pick up truck. I'd had my license all of a week when I landed the K75 and could not imagine riding that bike all the way home...all 40 straight miles. My friend test rode it for me! Why do they give licenses to people who have not been out of second gear on a 250 Nighthawk?
    YOU MAKE ME LAUGH Put my foot down last week in Wingham, Ontario. at a red light (right foot) into a pot hole,did the fall down in slow motion thing: there I was traped under a K75 laughing, got out picked it up with thoughts of trailer rental. No damage just embarased. checked her over started all ok . so the thoughts of the nasty trailer is in the back of most.
    Why do they give licenses to people who have not been out of second gear on a 250 so funny see ya Michael..

Thumbs up

I have never had to trailer a bike before... over 100,000 miles on my current RS, I want to take the 2 kayaks as well as the bike on vacation, but the truck is full and boats go on the roof, so I need to haul the RS this time. I tried to talk my wife into driving the truck, but no dice ! It is a 15 hour drive for us to Nova Scotia from CT. Thanks for the input though, I am still considering options.
    Steve
    steve now in CT
    moved from Toronto
    92 R100RS

MrB

Trailers are great when you need them

I was one of those "I never trailer" people. Then one winter I needed to get my bike from Minnesota to Texas so I could ride it to Guatemala. I've seen the light.

kitze2
    Geez everbody is a comedian.
    Steve, Micky Finns used to rent trailers. Don't know if they do any more. Some U-Hauls also have bike trailers. And lastly...Call the local Harley shop. Guy at work rents one from them every year. He claims it's pretty common for them to be able to rent you one or hook you up with a shop that can/will. Look into renting a van. It might be cheaper. Worth a try at least.
    Good Luck
    Damien

Herleman
    Well gents, my bike has finally reached the point in life where it can afford to be chauffeur driven over long distances in the comfort to which it has become accustomed. No need to collect bugs from 11 states on its way to Aspen you know. Besides, it is not fair to the domestic help to have to clean road slime off the windscreen from travel through some lesser desireable areas.

Ever caught a wad of SKOAL on an interstate in eastern Wyoming?

Actually, my Dad (97 years old) often accompanies me on longer trips. The trailer makes it possible for his little electric wheel chair to go along -- its wonderful for him to be able to wander around in the various villages in Colorado while the motorbike is wandering through the mountain passes. Last year, heavy snow came the third week in September in central Colorado. I would not have liked the salt and sand getting into the nether reaches of the fairing on that trip.

The trailer also makes it possible to take along lots of other stuff which has never been and probably never will be needed or used -- unless, of course, I don't take it.

The other thing that the trailer is useful for is keeping the bike out of view at motels along the interstates where small lightweight, valuable, and hard earned bikes have been known to go missing.

Signed,

John
    Indentured Servant to the Bimmer

bluebiker

Motorcycle towing

If you join the American Motorcyclists Association (which I recommend to anyone who rides) they offer "AMA MoTow" service which is sorta like triple A for bikes.

A slight deviation from topic. There are several trailers for sale over on e-bay for bikes currently. I only mention this as there is often somebody on here looking for one.