Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Playing Music

Playing Music

I know that I've seen (but it may have been on Chromeheads) discussions of using portable mp3 players or other portable systems, mounted in tank bags for music, but I can't find'em. Can anyone point me to an old discussion or maybe start a new one?

Re: Playing Music

Originally posted by helliott
    Can anyone point me to an old discussion or maybe start a new one?
    I think you just did!

There was one going on over here.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Thanks, Dave. I'll check it out.

REBECCAV
    I've actually been shopping for an MP3 player. A fellow WI Club member suggested the Archos www.archos.com - he has a 20GB 'Jukebox' model. He paid over $200. It may be discontinued though - I can't seem to find it online.

On the Best Buy site I found a couple of 40GB models but they were over $500. :yow

iRiver seems to have some good smaller memory/less expensive models for around $200.

There has to be someone else out there who has dabbled with this already. Can anyone offer advice/suggestions?

SweetT
    Before I started on my 5K mi trip last summer I spent about a $130 and bought a satelite radio system and a little FM transmitter that I tune in my walkman to. It was great! I would've been tired of my own music about three days into the trip. Now I have 100 channels of music to choose from so there is always something I like to listen to.

Tarren Shaw

There's a good reason why the iPod still rules the mp3 player market. yummmm....

REBECCAV
    Can you use the ipod if you have Windows?

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Ipod has a non replaceable battery. and yes, you can use the Ipod if you have windows.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    When my brother's Ipod died last year, he was told by Apple that he had to buy a new one, that there were no replacement batteries. Guess they have changed that policy.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Originally posted by lorazepam
    When my brother's Ipod died last year, he was told by Apple that he had to buy a new one, that there were no replacement batteries. Guess they have changed that policy.
    Yes, they have. It seems like Apple didn't think through their usual service policies in regards to a small electronic device. Their standard starting fee to service a computer that's out of warranty isn't much less than the cost of an ipod. If you apply that fee to servicing an ipod, you quickly decide to just buy a new one.

They now have an ipod battery replacement program. I believe it's $99 (includes labor). There are also aftermarket alternatives such as at the link Eric provided.

Yes, I'm one of those mildly rabid mac users.

Head/ear thinga-ma-jiggys

So I have a Chatterbox hjc90. Speakers mounted in helmet, kit mounted to bars. Currently I use my MD player out-into Chatterbox-out to head speakers. This allows me and the warm backrest/wife to listen to music and converse on a long trip(not that we talk much, but hey-its there).

Question: helmet speaker upgrade-if there is such a thing possible-or earplug headphones?

I never really liked the sound outta the headset spkrs. I want a little bit of bass.
    Rumor has it my loving wife has bought me an IPOD for my anniversary gift. I want to go full throttle on a completly new package.

Any opinions?

There are fantastic ones out there, I just don't remember their name right now.

Ertynomics or something? I think Darryl has a pair.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Shure E3 or E4

http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e5c.asp

Sure they are $500 but from the reviews I have heard, they are freaking incredible. They actually have two transducers, one for HF and one for LF. They are actually competition to my employeer so you can tell I have no interest....

Me, I am looking at getting some custom mold plugs as they should have transfer tactile frequency resonance. (They should physically vibrate my bones to produce bass.) Mike Weiss has ones for about $120.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

14. 01-14-2004, 12:25 PM

Close K man!

Originally posted by KBasa
    There are fantastic ones out there, I just don't remember their name right now.

Ertynomics or something? I think Darryl has a pair.
    They're called Etymotic ER-6 earplugs and they're great!
    That said, I still have to take them out on long rides due to some discomfort (only if they're in more than four hours). I have a pair of Bass Monster speaker mounted in the helmet as backups. I'm waiting for a clean Blue Tooth solution that will allow me to ditch the wires on the ER-6s.
    As for MP3 players. iPods rock. Their new mini-iPod looks pretty cool and seems to do the job well. I have a Nike/Philips 256Mb MP3 player that works well enough but it's no IPod.
    Cheers,
    Jorge
    MOA- mostly overbearing antagonists

And remember folks, when riding a GS off road, you cannot go over obstacles only through them.-Me

1flyer
    Last night on Screen Savers they showed how to replace the battery in an iPod. Here's the link :

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...589944,00.html