Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does this seem fair to you?

Reborn Biker

Does this seem fair to you?

I recently purchased a 2002 1150RT. The nearest BMW dealership is an hour and a half away, if traffic is rolling good. I've already purchased $600-700 worth of stuff from them. I took the bike in this week for annual service and a few other things. The bill was almost $600. When I got back home I realized they had removed my saddlebags (to change the tires, no doubt) and neglected to put them back on. So I called and explained that if I lived nearby I'd be happy to come by and pick them up, but I couldn't afford to take another half a day off, just to get the saddlebags they didn't put back on the bike. So I asked if they would ship them to me. They agreed. Today they called me and said I owe them $21 for shipping. What do you think?

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Don't pay. It is their dumb mistake not yours. Next time don't have the bags on

No it does not seem fair.

Don't pay it. Take it up with MOA Consumer Liaison. You can find the contact information on page 8 of the April ON.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

bobh41

Yes, they should have replaced them

but you didn't notice them being missing. My point would be - where does the balance of responsibility, or blame, fall?

The dollars are not really significant in the scope of the maintenance costs you've indicated, so the issue appears to me to be one of "Who's to blame?". In other words a pi**ing contest.

Do you value the service and the relationship? There are so very many battles we all have to wage; this is a minor one IMO. What is it worth to you?

For my part, I would eat the charges and downstream make sure they know you are a top tier customer and expect due consideration on continuing service - with a smile. From a "political" perspective you can always use it in future negotiations or bargaining.

Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post
    I recently purchased a 2002 1150RT. The nearest BMW dealership is an hour and a half away, if traffic is rolling good. I've already purchased $600-700 worth of stuff from them. I took the bike in this week for annual service and a few other things. The bill was almost $600. When I got back home I realized they had removed my saddlebags (to change the tires, no doubt) and neglected to put them back on. So I called and explained that if I lived nearby I'd be happy to come by and pick them up, but I couldn't afford to take another half a day off, just to get the saddlebags they didn't put back on the bike. So I asked if they would ship them to me. They agreed. Today they called me and said I owe them $21 for shipping. What do you think?

No not fair. OTOH How could you not notice that the bags were not there when you got on the bike to ride it back home? The bike looks different and rides different w/o the bags.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

BOKRIJDER
    The bike went in the shop doors with saddlebags and was released back to the customer without the bags. Mistakes happen, but if this shop's attitude is that customers share a responsibility in the shop's internal QC procedures. I wouldn't be comfortable turning my bike over to them.
    Talk to the manager, if he won't budge, look at it this way: they are willing to loose you as a customer over $21.00.

Motard

$21.00 is cheap. Pay up and be happy they packed and shipped them. Always walk around your bike before you ride, pre-flight you will be surprised at what you remember. What was it Forrest said
    "Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too."

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh41 View Post
    For my part, I would eat the charges and downstream make sure they know you are a top tier customer and expect due consideration on continuing service - with a smile.
    THEY left his bags off and THEY want to charge him for the shipping to return them. They've told him loud and clear where he ranks on the "top tier customer" list.
    I would explain to them that you don't feel you should be charged for the shipping. If they disagree, point out Motard'S argument. Really dumb to lose a customer over $21.

RK Ryder
    Your annual service was reasonable compared to what I pay here in Canada. The $21 is not outrageous compared to your time and gas going back to pick them up. Yes the mechanics should have remembered to reinstalled the panniers, but then again, you also bear some of the responsiblity for not noticing them not on the bike. The dealers that I have dealt with expect the customer to not leave the bike with the panniers, most likely to avoid the situation that you encountered. The situation is certainly annoying but it would be even more so if you had to return to pick them up. Free delivery would be nice, but I've learned unfortunately that many organizations to not practise great PR or customer service that most of us expect to receive. I do understand and empathize with your viewpoint, but I can almost guarantee that this will not happen to you again.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

I would look at this as an opportunity to develop a good relationship with the dealer.

I would call back and talk to the service manager about the charge.

I would point out that while I do feel somewhat silly about not noticing I am concerned about the fact that your wrench took stuff off the bike and forget to put it back on.

I would thank him for packing and shipping the bags and suggest that we split the difference with the $10 being added to my next service.

bobh41
    Really dumb to lose a customer over $21
    OTOH how really smart to abandon possibly the only service outlet you have for a measly $21. Is this a financial proposition or an ego problem?

Reborn Biker
    Thank you all very much for taking the time to add your two cents. Of course, it's not the $21. It's just the feeling of being asked to pay the price of someone else's mistake. Why didn't I notice them missing? Can't explain it, other than to say I haven't had the bike a long time (a few months) and I guess I didn't notice any difference in the handling. I actually made a short trip after I got home and when I got back to the bike I went to put something in the sidebag and that's when I noticed. I did feel a little dumb, but I also felt disappointed that they would let the bike go without reinstalling accessories they had removed. I certainly expected them to pay the shipping and apologize. It looks like I'll get neither. Rather than apologizing, they said they expect their customers to check their bikes before leaving. Valid point, but when you're paying a premium price for service, when mistakes are made, I guess I feel entitled to an apology and a genuine effort to "make things right." I feel a little let down. I'll probably pay it, but go to an independent garage in the future.

BOKRIJDER
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh41 View Post
    OTOH how really smart to abandon possibly the only service outlet you have for a measly $21. Is this a financial proposition or an ego problem?
    Neither, rather the position of a professional taking pride in ones work. I'd be ashamed leaving removed accessories off a customers bike, let alone charging that customer for returning them.

Motard

Reborn Biker
    Motard, you stated my feelings exactly. I've been in business for 30 years, so I've been on the other side of the table many times. Anybody can make a mistake or forget something. But whenever my business has made a mistake or omitted to do something we should have that caused a customer any inconvenience, we ALWAYS make them whole. I cannot recall a single instance in 30 years where we suggested the customer pay for the consequences of our negligence or oversight.

To err is human

Mistakes happen. How you recover and make right is the issue. Ultimately the dealer has responsibility to re-install the side bags unless these was some disclaimer upfront. Ideally you would have caught it before leaving ... but one can be pre-occupied or otherwise distracted. Onus on the dealer.

I wouldn't be too upset at the dealer for the error ... but their reaction to it shows poor customer service and bad judgement.

Work out a win-win with them (if that's possible).