Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Was HODAG banned ?

Quote Originally Posted by RandallIsland View Post
    A chicken-dance, among other outstanding prizes...
    just watch it with the ice cream cones.

That chicken dance will get you just so far, skippy. Is she prepared to Hokey Pokey (ooops) and Hand Jive (ooops again!). Does she Macarena??
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    cripes, i dig myself in even deeper.

vote for hodag, dog!
    Woof. Ok, what kind of free swag will you give me if I don't write you in?
    again.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhway View Post
    Woof. Ok, what kind of free swag will you give me if I don't write you in?
    again.
    name your price!

Ian Schmeisser For BMW MOA President?!?

I covered his failed 2008 campaign run for the US presidency in Morning Reads. If he isnÔÇÖt seen as candidate enough to run a world superpower how is he ever going to be seen as worthy and capable enough to be president of a real power like the BMW MOA?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

When will the candidates for director be announced?
    The April BMW ON.

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

IIRC any member can ask the nominating committee who is running.

From the by-laws:

4.3 The nominating committee shall, at any time, advise any individual member of BMW MOA who so requests which members have been nominated or have submitted nominations for any or all positions.

In the end it is all about the community we create here. People may come for tech info or ride reports or whatever but they stay if they feel that they are part of a community of people. Friendships and shared experiences are the key.
    I agree that in the end it is all about the community we create here; however, I’d be careful with Borg references when writing to people that have left.

When I have been writing people that have left I have told them about things such as the Superbike Supstakes the development of On Online and more recently the inclusion of a vintage racing seminar at the 2010 International Rally along with. The obstacle that is put in front of me in response in several replies has been your sci-fi analogy for joining; the Borg.

The writers have acknowledged seeing changes and improvements. They don’t see the BOD as a problem but see it as over the last several years has gotten out in front of the membership in several areas. ON is seen as one of the best rags around but still tilted toward the chartered clubs, rallies and touring. The idea of the potential for added editorial content online is intriguing to them but still seen as a future development. The reaction to the forum is where their Borg comments come in.

The forum originally opened opportunities for the exploration of motorcycling that the print and rally versions of the club could never develop. As you point out friendships were made online that are all but impossible to have happened anywhere but in the online forum virtual world. They understood the no squids rules and having to ride between the lines but the forum originally added a dimension that allowed them to go on virtual voyages to explore where no member had gone before. Then the Borg showed up.

Rather than a place to explore for them it became a place to be assimilated. Rather than being a place where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts it became a zero sum gain realm for them. Being exploring minority thinkers they felt they were confronted with the options of being assimilated fighting or fleeing. They did not want to be assimilated. They felt resistance on the forum was futile and left.

It is the obstacle I have the most trouble overcoming talking with people about coming back and presenting here as a topic of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    IIRC any member can ask the nominating committee who is running.

From the by-laws:

4.3 The nominating committee shall, at any time, advise any individual member of BMW MOA who so requests which members have been nominated or have submitted nominations for any or all positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I agree that in the end it is all about the community we create here; however, IÔÇÖd be careful with Borg references when writing to people that have left.

When I have been writing people that have left I have told them about things such as the Superbike Supstakes the development of On Online and more recently the inclusion of a vintage racing seminar at the 2010 International Rally along with. The obstacle that is put in front of me in response in several replies has been your sci-fi analogy for joining; the Borg.

The writers have acknowledged seeing changes and improvements. They donÔÇÖt see the BOD as a problem but see it as over the last several years has gotten out in front of the membership in several areas. ON is seen as one of the best rags around but still tilted toward the chartered clubs, rallies and touring. The idea of the potential for added editorial content online is intriguing to them but still seen as a future development. The reaction to the forum is where their Borg comments come in.

The forum originally opened opportunities for the exploration of motorcycling that the print and rally versions of the club could never develop. As you point out friendships were made online that are all but impossible to have happened anywhere but in the online forum virtual world. They understood the no squids rules and having to ride between the lines but the forum originally added a dimension that allowed them to go on virtual voyages to explore where no member had gone before. Then the Borg showed up.

Rather than a place to explore for them it became a place to be assimilated. Rather than being a place where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts it became a zero sum gain realm for them. Being exploring minority thinkers they felt they were confronted with the options of being assimilated fighting or fleeing. They did not want to be assimilated. They felt resistance on the forum was futile and left.

It is the obstacle I have the most trouble overcoming talking with people about coming back and presenting here as a topic of discussion.

The only response I have to that is the Borg reference was a joke and really does not represent the membership here. While there is a fairly steady demographic that the forum appeals to, the diversity of experience, riding style, and preference that I see here is quite varied.

I hope that "exploring minority thinkers" (I think I understand that phrase) are welcome to their opinions and preferences. By the very definition of "minority" in this case, the expectation that the majority would embrace their perspective is unrealistic however. There is a subsatntial difference to having a different view point, and having a different viewpoint that you expect everyone else will embrace. In the closing of the ToTs area, we recognized that the way the varying view points were expressed there didn't fit the expectations of the club as a whole, and rather than maintain a devisive element, we closed it.

In your response, your critique is either directed at the Forum Team and the efforts we have made to maintain the atmosphere that the majority of members have told us they expect or at the membership that posts here regularly.

If your comments are directed at myself or my team, I will stand by our record over the last year and the feedback we have received in response to our efforts.

If your comments are for the membership as a whole, I will stand by my statement that this place is what the membership chooses to make it. From my perspective that is a vibrant, healthy and active community.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

...snipped...
    In your response, your critique is either directed at the Forum Team and the efforts we have made to maintain the atmosphere that the majority of members have told us they expect or at the membership that posts here regularly.
    I fully understand the levity in mentioning the Borg in your post. However, it is that very image that several people have raised in recent correspondence. The irony to me was they use it in a 180 degree different direction when they use it than when you did. Therefore, I used it in the wording of my post.

With the greatest of all do respect quit being so bloody defensive and read a previous post of mine and the post you are currently quoting again.

- I think your idea to write to others is a good one and have been doing so even before you mentioned it in this.
    - It’s not my critique but an attempt to explain in summary form responses I have received explaining why (the obstacle) they (not stated as my problem) would not come back to the forum.
    - Would you please get over being so defensive about TOTS. I did not mention TOTS at all in my posts. Frankly in the discussions with past members TOTS is a non issue for everyone beyond being a metaphor used to discuss some issues. Even then it is a poor tool for that purpose because it has become so charged a topic.

The closing line from my quoted post is
    “It is the obstacle I have the most trouble overcoming talking with people about coming back and presenting here as a topic of discussion.”

If obstacle is too charged a term replace it with objection or reason other people give for not returning. I clearly said I was presenting it as an idea for discussion not as a critique of my own. The implied question in the line is how you overcome the obstacle or not.
    Last edited by Mika; 03-11-2010 at 10:20 PM.

And so, after much deliberation, history does repeat itself?
    Safety Committee
    Frog Bayou Boys
    '91 R100GS "Bumblebee"
    '09 G650GS

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    And so, after much deliberation, history does repeat itself?
    Yes.

People will misspell Schmeisser, some will write in Visian causing these ballots to be spoiled and Ian will go down in flames in a presidential race once again. Now swag, no chicken dance, just broken dreams and unfulfilled campaign promises.

Yes.

People will misspell Schmeisser, some will write in Visian causing these ballots to be spoiled and Ian will go down in flames in a presidential race once again. Now swag, no chicken dance, just broken dreams and unfulfilled campaign promises.

Oh, yer killin' me.
    Safety Committee
    Frog Bayou Boys
    '91 R100GS "Bumblebee"
    '09 G650GS

From MARS
    Yes.

People will misspell Schmeisser, ........

S-c-h-m-e-i-s-s-e-r. Shush! I'm practicing!

Tom