Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BMW Venting Machine vs. AirFlow 3 vs. Rev'it Airforce

BMW Venting Machine vs. AirFlow 3 vs. Rev'it Airforce

I was checking out summer riding suits and I tried on the Venting Machine and the Airflow 3. The AirFlow has more opaque surfaces on the jacket. I was wondering if there is a huge difference between the two jackets when riding in the heat. A nice feature of the Airflow is that it comes in grey and red. Wearing black is one one of the problems when riding in the heat.

I'm also checking out the $299 Rev'it Airforce jacket. These jackets are really nice and cheaper than the BMW stuff. They have more color choices too. The only problem is that the four Rev'it dealers in the Bay Area don't stock the jacket. If I want to try it on I have to order it and keep it.

BMW Venting Machine

BMW AirFlow 3

Rev'it Airforce
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Stephen. Stop right there.

I don't see Hi-Viz Yellow

(If it's any help, I feel stylish in my Venting Machine)

3. 04-11-2007, 07:50 PM

USERNAME
    i have no personal experience but have been looking into obtaining similar gear. anecdotally, from the comments and reviews i've seen on the net the folks who get the venting machine seem to consistently say, "jeez, i thought i knew what vented gear was, but now i *really* know. this stuff feels like a tshirt and shorts. weirdly, the armor feels really good though, way better than my previous vented jacket/suit. i got over my sticker shock instantly."

seeing this has me leaning towards just spending the extra money and getting the venting machine instead of futzing around trying other things.

I tried on the Venting Machine. The fabric is stiff woven mesh. Very different.
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

The venting machine works good for me. It feels like less than a t shirt and jeans. I think the black does make some heat gain, but as soon as you roll it cools right off.
    robert

Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaa View Post
    The venting machine works good for me. It feels like less than a t shirt and jeans. I think the black does make some heat gain, but as soon as you roll it cools right off.
    robert
    What about on really hot days in the desert? Those days when it's cooler to close your helmet than to leave the visor up.
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Harrington
    I just picked up the VM jacket and pants. I'm still waiting on the hip armor to arrive so I've yet to ride with it.

I've perused a lot of threads across a lot of bike forums. I've yet to see any bad press about the VM besides the price. One point to mention is to diligently stay hydrated. Mesh gear in the high heat will dehydrate a rider in a heartbeat.

Scuderia West just called me. They also recommend the very versatile Rev'it Ignition jacket. $399

The IGNITION is a fully ventilated mesh and leather combo jacket offering 3 season versatility; made from the finest leather and featuring Dynax mesh as well as Schoeller?«-Keprotec stretch. The IGNITION jacket includes a fully waterproof and breathable detachable membrane along with a detachable windproof thermal vest. The IGNITION jacket is perfect for the 3 season sport/touring rider looking for the versatility of textile but the style of leather. Also available in a special ladies version.

BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

So many choices! Rev'it Typhoon. $269

This is the ideal jacket for everyday use in summer conditions. The front, back and arms have large mesh panels to keep you cool in even the warmest of days. The TYPHOON has a detachable 3-layer REV'IT! Hydratex?« membrane that is waterproof and extremely breathable. The jacket is fully equipped with CE approved KNOX?« protection including an EVA ventilated back pad. Reflective panels at the elbow and shoulders are combined with reflective logos at the front and back to ensure visibility from all sides. The TYPHOON has a slight pre-shaped fit that can be pulled to individual preferences by the draw straps and adjustment tabs at the sleeve and waist. Also available in a ladies fit. The TYPHOON forms a recommended combination with the MISTRAL pants.
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Mesh gear in the high heat will dehydrate a rider in a heartbeat.
    That depends on the humidity. What you say is true in the desert, but not true in places like the southeast where hot summer days can feel like saunas.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

ChiTown
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    I was checking out summer riding suits and I tried on the Venting Machine and the Airflow 3. The AirFlow has more opaque surfaces on the jacket. I was wondering if there is a huge difference between the two jackets when riding in the heat. A nice feature of the Airflow is that it comes in grey and red. Wearing black is one one of the problems when riding in the heat.

I'm also checking out the $299 Rev'it Airforce jacket. These jackets are really nice and cheaper than the BMW stuff. They have more color choices too. The only problem is that the four Rev'it dealers in the Bay Area don't stock the jacket. If I want to try it on I have to order it and keep it.
    I bought my Rev'it gear from a&s cycle online, when one of the pieces didn't fit right, I sent it back and was credited immediately. No worries about ordering and being stuck with it from them.

I like the looks of their new Rev'it Air jacket, no price yet, but I emailed about it already.
    Here's a few of the 4 different colors available

http://www.revit.eu/cms2007/cms/Mixa...php?category=1

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post

Rev'it Airforce
    Mr. Burns,
    I went for an Airforce just like this one. Tomorrow it gets a proper "field trial"; I shall keep you posted if you so desire. My dealer had a good (not great) selection of Rev'it gear so I got to try a few things before I made up my mind. The Airforce has a nice rainproof zip-in liner and a sneaky pocket inside the back of the outter shell to store that liner, I thought that was tricky. Still too chilly here as yet to properly test it out for ventilation properties. The shell alone seems very lightweight with lots of vents, we shall see.

Cool.

Wez

I've also been looking at summer mesh choices, and wanted decent armor and a waterproof liner. A&S in Sacto has the Olympia Airglide 2 Mesh Tech for a little over $200. It's lighter than the BMW ( and a lot less money!).

fdiggins

Airflow Jacket is great!

I live in Hawaii and ride year round. The Airflow jacket and pants from BMW is what I wear evertime. I remain stylish and not hot.......

Frank

Post script on the Rev'it Airflow. Warm enough weather to take the liner out. It rolls up and tucks away in a pocket in the rear of the shell. Nice venting, made a considerable difference removing the liner, as I would expect.

There ya go.

Peace.

Wez