Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe she did this!!!

I can't believe she did this!!!

Well, last saturday, my lovely wife and I stopped by the local dealer just to browse around and check on the stall availablility for steering head work on her R75/6. The next thing I know, she's filling out the papers for a 2007 F650GS-L!! I'm proud of her for doing something like this. I like the modern brakes and she can more easily follow me on crummy surfaces now.

What odd things should she be watching for? I've really heard mostly very good things about the 650 and we met a couple going from Tierra del Fuego to Prudo(sp) Bay, each on a bright yellow F650GS and they said they had no unsual events, bike-wise.

I hope she'll enjoy this new beast.

We're keeping the R75/6 also....too much fun with that'un.
    Bullfrog

2007 R1200GS-adv Mad Max
    1976 R75/6 Black Beauty (Actually, it's my wifes' first bike)

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar

She and you are going to be so much happier.

You know about the ChainGang (f650.com)

Watch the chain keep it between spec and lubed, not much else to worry about.

Ride and have fun.
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Whooo Hooo!!!

Good for her! The same thing happened to us! Hubby was at the dealer looking for some specific thing and I got bored. Next think he knew, I had picked out my own two wheels - also a 650 GS. I've been bitten by the bug!

She will love it!

Tracy

Sweet!!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Tip

The FI coughs and chokes when cold - takes about five minutes of riding to warm up. And, the engine is very happy when everything happens over 3000 RPM up to redline.
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Poor man's k-bike owner kreinke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash412 View Post
    Fixed.
    Yeah,

Don't be afraid to wring the crap out of a Rotax. That's part of what makes them so much fun. Ride it like you stole it.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
    Well, last saturday, my lovely wife and I stopped by the local dealer just to browse around and check on the stall availablility for steering head work on her R75/6. The next thing I know, she's filling out the papers for a 2007 F650GS-L!! I'm proud of her for doing something like this. I like the modern brakes and she can more easily follow me on crummy surfaces now.

What odd things should she be watching for? I've really heard mostly very good things about the 650 and we met a couple going from Tierra del Fuego to Prudo(sp) Bay, each on a bright yellow F650GS and they said they had no unsual events, bike-wise.

I hope she'll enjoy this new beast.

We're keeping the R75/6 also....too much fun with that'un.
    My wife did that too. She rides a K1200S mostly, but sat on a black 650GS-L in the showroom last year and bought it as a second bike for the fact that her feet reached the ground. It's yet to have it's 600 mile service...soon though...we're so busy while retired.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I've mentioned the over 4000 rpm deal to her and she basically said that all BMW's should be ridden at over 4000 rpm. She is a smartie pants.

It has been so-o-o-o-o-o long since I've had a chain but she remembers the weekly checks on those bikes of the past and has declared that since she hepled me clean and polish all those spokes and adjust/lube the chain,I can darn well do the same for her.

We bring it home tomorrow!!!! And Sunday's supposed to be pretty nice. Saturday is so-so and she's doing that quilt shop thing with the girls. Mmmmm maybe I can take it for a spin
    Bullfrog

2007 R1200GS-adv Mad Max
    1976 R75/6 Black Beauty (Actually, it's my wifes' first bike)

Quote Originally Posted by flash412 View Post
    Fixed.
    That's funny

But my '06 is plenty happy to leave a stop at 3000 and climb from there.

I ride it over 4500 - does that count. LOL
    Russ

Question

Quote Originally Posted by kreinke View Post
    Yeah,

Don't be afraid to wring the crap out of a Rotax. That's part of what makes them so much fun. Ride it like you stole it.
    Does this apply to the F800 engine as well? So far that's what I am trying to do.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

"It has been so-o-o-o-o-o long since I've had a chain but she remembers the weekly checks on those bikes of the past and has declared that since she hepled me clean and polish all those spokes and adjust/lube the chain,I can darn well do the same for her. "

I was dreading fooling with a chain until I learned about this stuff:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

No mess, no fling, no gunk. Get it at Lowe's.

Be sure to check out www.f650.com Technical FAQs

Congrats on the bike!

Sarah

Congrats on the new bike. For her birthday/anniversary (whatever comes first) sign her up with the Chain Gang. She'll have a cool orange tee shirt you'll want and it's for various good causes. $50 is nothing for the amount of info you can get over there on the 650's.

ATF works good on a chain too - just put some one every time you fill up, I find that schedule easier to keep track of than a weekly something or other. $1.87 a qt. at Wally World - and a quart will last a long time. I use one of Wally World fancy cat hair paint brushes to apply ATF - cost me $.50 and they told me the cat willingly donated it's hair.

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    My wife did that too. She rides a K1200S mostly, but sat on a black 650GS-L in the showroom last year and bought it as a second bike for the fact that her feet reached the ground. It's yet to have it's 600 mile service...soon though...we're so busy while retired.
    must be something in the air...GF sat on a lowered F650 Saturday...is working out details as I write this...picking it up Wednesday!!! Now, I get to ride it?????? her R1100 is on the table getting a clutch and she is riding one of the 1150s...sounds fair to me! Had to move things around in garage again to fit #8 in there!

Chrissie Hynde comes to mind...Back on the chain gang!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

P Monk

R75/6 is cluttering up your garage.

We're keeping the R75/6 also....too much fun with that'un.[/QUOTE]

You really need to sell the R75/6. 3 Motorcycles in your garage will cause conflict. You know like 3 girls can never get along. My poor RT needs a companion and since your bride's old R75 is going to cause discord in the family and it is an exact twin to my first BMW, you really need to give me a call, or email

Don't feel bad. I have 9 bikes in the garage. I picked up a 07 650 Dakar last Jan. I had 600 miles on it in 2 days. It is a blast to ride around town. Much better then the DRZ I now have up for sale. For the long hauls I still prefer my LT. I will admit though I was at the dealer today looking at the GS1200 ADV, not sure why but I think I need one. Good thing my wife rides so she kind of understands my disease.