Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPS on Airplane

GPS on Airplane

Is there a problem taking a GPS on an airplane? I know you can't use cell phones during a flight. Is it okay to use a GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    Is there a problem taking a GPS on an airplane? I know you can't use cell phones during a flight. Is it okay to use a GPS?
    Depends on what airline you are flying, check the list here:
    http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

You can use it once the pilot announces electronic devices may be turned on.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Wow. That was impressive. Thanks for the information. This should be fun...but I am going to keep it low key anyway.

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    Wow. That was impressive. Thanks for the information. This should be fun...but I am going to keep it low key anyway.
    It's hard to keep it low key when you have to have the antenna next to the window in order for it to work. Even then, a lot of times you can't get a fix on enough sats to get 3D navigation.

(It is impressive to have a 623 MPH "Max Speed" in your trip computer, though.)

As posted by WMUBrown, it depends on the airline, although I've never had anyone tell me I couldn't use mine. Certainly got some weird looks from fellow passengers though.
    It's fantastic to waypoint interesting things that you may ride around some day, and then load the waypoints into a mapping program to find out how to get there.

On a Ride
    Have done this numerous times, pointing the Garmin 60cs out the window. No problem. Does help to have a window seat however .

I have been asked by Southwest Airlines and US Airways to shut it off or have it confiscated. Then, when I try to explain it is OK, they get livid.

Can't win sometimes.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
    I have been asked by Southwest Airlines and US Airways to shut it off or have it confiscated. Then, when I try to explain it is OK, they get livid.

Can't win sometimes.
    Per the FAA it is always up to the pilot.

FAA

And also Here
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

I find that asking the flight attendant to ask the CAPTAIN if it is ok to use above 10,000 feet works great. The answer has never been "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
    Thats because the people telling you to do so, don't know squat about anything.

Any wiring sensitive to outside signals in an aircraft will be very well shielded, and so will the device itself.

If they are so concerned about interference, then maybe they should tell the captain not to make any radio transmissions, signals that are far stronger than any local oscillator in your electronic device.

Hmmm, they have a GPS out front...so whats the difference?

I use my GPSIII on planes all the time, I've never had a problem. I've actually found some great roads and interesting small towns that way, plus it is nice getting a rough ETA (and the 450mph Top Speed is sure impressive )
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Airborne GPS

From the flight crew's point of view, I can see why it make make them a little nervous wondering if you are trying to detemine the EXACT point you want to blow up your shoes.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    From the flight crew's point of view, I can see why it make make them a little nervous wondering if you are trying to detemine the EXACT point you want to blow up your shoes.
    Oh, sure! Do you know what my ASOLO hiking boots cost? And what would I be riding in once I arrived at my destination?

Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
    It's hard to keep it low key when you have to have the antenna next to the window in order for it to work. Even then, a lot of times you can't get a fix on enough sats to get 3D navigation.

(It is impressive to have a 623 MPH "Max Speed" in your trip computer, though.)

As posted by WMUBrown, it depends on the airline, although I've never had anyone tell me I couldn't use mine. Certainly got some weird looks from fellow passengers though.
    It's fantastic to waypoint interesting things that you may ride around some day, and then load the waypoints into a mapping program to find out how to get there.
    You mean like this shot of my Emap a few years ago??
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Wow

Mach 1.48... that is impressive! I'm thinkin it wasn't commercial....

My wife is a flight attendant the only time she ask's people to turn stuff off is during take offs and landings as per the FAA then people don't do it and get pissed. Like during the briefings when they are on their cell phones so even if someone wants to hear a briefing they can't because some ******* wants to show what a bigshot they are by being loud on their phone.
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4