Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: E-Z pass?

Registered User PatrickMitchell's Avatar

E-Z pass?

Will an E-Z pass transponder work from a jacket pocket?

Does anyone have generic mounting advice, or experience?

Help would be appreciated!
    1965 R50/2
    2007 Buell XB9SX

EZ Pass

I cannot speak for the PA version, but I have a Florida Sunpass. It works (most of the time) in the map pocket of the tank bag. Sometimes I attach it to a RAM mount for a rarely used Radar Detector on the handlebar with velcro and a rubber band. This seems to work best. A lot of other folks mount them with velcro on either the windshield or instrument cluster.

I have mine mounted inside the fairing and it works just fine. It's behind the turn signal light. Out of sight out if mind. I was a little concerned about it being read, but no problems when going to Vermont last year.
    I would hesitate putting it or anything hard like that in a jacket pocket, what do you think that will feel like in the unfortunate case of a accident. Cracked or bruised ribs???
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Mine does not work in my jacket pocket.
    The map pocket of a tank bag is ok though...sometimes.

Some booths have a forward gun, and some have a overhead gun.
    The tank bag can get blocked with a forward gun, is good for overhead guns.

Some dealers sell the suction cup bracket for EZPass.
    Good for a car, don't use it on a bike. Vibration will cut it loose eventually.

I got some Dual Lock and velcro'd EZPass to my Garmin GPS sun visor.
    I have a naked bike, and that thing never budged at 110 mph.

Dual Lock is great stuff.
    Sig? What's a Sig?

Quote Originally Posted by sjbmw View Post
    Mine does not work in my jacket pocket.
    The map pocket of a tank bag is ok though...sometimes.

Some booths have a forward gun, and some have a overhead gun.
    The tank bag can get blocked with a forward gun, is good for overhead guns.

Some dealers sell the suction cup bracket for EZPass.
    Good for a car, don't use it on a bike. Vibration will cut it loose eventually.

I got some Dual Lock and velcro'd EZPass to my Garmin GPS sun visor.
    I have a naked bike, and that thing never budged at 110 mph.

Dual Lock is great stuff.
    Minor hijack: Dual Lock IS great stuff, but it's horribly expensive through specialty motorcycle dealers. Target carries it for much less. Do NOT ask for "Dual Lock" when you talk to a red-shirted person. Ask where the velcro is. It'll be right there.

I have one of these, and it has worked well. I have taken it off my bike since my workplace has moved, and I no longer have to navigate the tolls on my commute.

http://www.jjcyclepass.com/bike1.htm
    If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast.
    Jack Handey

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar

Slap it on, go riding

Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Thumbs up $19.99 from Twisted Throttle

A mounting system for electronic toll passes (various types from different States) is available from Twisted Throttle on their web site.

I have ordered several items from this company, and service / quality is first rate.

This system could mount to handlebars or a RAM style system.

Hope this 'fills the bill.'

See you in July!

edgerber
    There is an optional style of EZ Pass for autos that is 2" X 8" and designed to be affixed to the bottom of a car's license plate using the existing license plate screws.

It fits just fine resting atop my R1100r's front fender & is held in place w/ a couple of plastic ties.

I may pay tolls at the auto, rather than the motorcycle rate but it is always on the bike; it's unobtrusive and relatively secure. Since I don't drive on toll roads that much, the few cents extra in tolls is a fair trade off for the convenience.

Mine does not work in any pockets. Doesn't work in a map case either. I have a Nelson Rigg Tank bag and it has a easy access side pocket that I keep it in. Grab it hold it up, put it away. Out of sight. Always there when I need it and I can get it with winter gloves just as easy as summer gloves. I won't leave the transponder out in the open anyways so I just haven't felt the need to velcro it to anything. I have 1 toll on my way to and from work. That is the bulk of my riding.

Brian

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Mine works in a tank bag as long as I drop to 15 mph as posted. This is true for Mass, NH, and Maine. I haven't been through NJ, NY, or PA on the bike for two years so dunno about those places.

So maybe a dumb question, but what happens if it doesn't get read?

At least here in Texas, they also have your license plate on file, so if the tag doesn't get read they snap a pic of your plate, and you're good to go. No tag associated with that plate, then send you a bill or a fine (depending on the tollroad) in the mail.

If the other toll authorities do similar ... does it really matter if the tag is actually read or not?

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

EZ Pass Holder

Try this approach:

From a sporting goods store buy a deer tag holder. The license holder here seem to be tailor made for the EZ pass.

Put EZ pass in holder and seal flap shut - duct tape works well for this purpose.

Attach to jacket. I created a tube of reflective material. Used a pencil as mold for reflective material. Stitched tube to jacket above pocket. Passed pin through tube.

Works just fine. Can always remove EZ pass when toll roads are not in the day's track.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I just got more than one and put one per vehicle. However I also got a Toll Tag Pouch at my local car wash for $2 that attaches with suction cups and it works great. I use it when traveling for work and suction cup it to the Rental Car.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Mine works in a tank bag as long as I drop to 15 mph as posted. This is true for Mass, NH, and Maine. I haven't been through NJ, NY, or PA on the bike for two years so dunno about those places.
    Same in Norcal..

"So maybe a dumb question, but what happens if it doesn't get read?"

You get dis boweled. Nah, I was told the camera takes your plate number and you get a ticket via USPS..
    Rags
    04 R1150RS, 07 HD XR883R
    IBA #17225