View Poll Results: Winterizing too often?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any chance to ride is a good thing, no worries

19 86.36%
  • Just keep the bike away until March

3 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing too often?

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Question Winterizing too often?

So last Sunday (December 14, 2003) I went for a ride and then figured it was time to put the R1150RT away for a while. Something about snow. Topped off the tank, put in Stabil, plugged in the Battery Tender.

Then Monday (December 22, 2003) it was a nice day for a ride. However I did not take one as I was not sure about all of the gunk on the road from recent snow.

Then I got to thinking, is there anything bad about winterizing the bike too often? Was worried about running Stabil through the system too often; or should I just go for a ride and then redo the process?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Re: Winterizing too often?

Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    Topped off the tank, put in Stabil, plugged in the Battery Tender.
    I hear of a lot of guys using Stabil, but I quit using it years ago when I used it in a 9.9 HP Johnson outboard and it ate up all my rubber fuel lines. The dealer told me it was the cause. He highly recommended Seafoam instead, for all motors where a fuel stabilizer is needed. I resorted to using nothing at all, just topping off the tank to eliminate condensation, and have never had any problems since. That is just my two cents worth, and everyone has their own way of winterizing. Ride it every chance you get, keep the tank full, and I don't think you'll have a problem.

Me n Stabil

used Stabil in my bike over the last two winters and rode on several occaisions (you know, when the mercury goes up in the 40's in February). never had any problem.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Life is not over at 50
    I just bought three bottles of stabil have not used them yet. Rich says his mechanic told him it damaged his motor. I sure would like to hear what other people think before I use it.

Reed

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I dont use any stabilizer. I will get the bike out enough to keep the battery up, and keep fuel moving through the system. I havent had any problems with any of my bikes starting other than the HD which didnt start half the time anyway. Of course if you dont ride for 4 months, you may have different results.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Originally posted by speed reed
    Rich says his mechanic told him it damaged his motor.
    There was no actual motor damage. I took the boat out first thing in the spring and when I got it on the water, the 9.9 ran like you know what. I'm not much of a mechanic, especially with boat motors, so I took it to a local dealer to look at. I was actually there when he opened the carbs, and there were bits of rubber in them. And the fuel lines were mushy. I did follow the recommended mix, so no, I didn't go hog wild with the stuff either. I just know that I lost faith in using fuel stabilizers that day, and like I said, I haven't had any problems since using nothing but good fresh fuel. Here's my theory, drain em in the summer (like the snow blower), and keep em topped off all winter. (Motorcycles, lawn mowers)

Have a good one.

Rich

Rich,

You're out there in the midwest where they seem to like to put ethanol in the fuel. I believe ethanol will destroy natural rubber lines.

Do you think the problem may have come from an ethanol/rubber interaction?

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Originally posted by KBasa
    Rich,

You're out there in the midwest where they seem to like to put ethanol in the fuel. I believe ethanol will destroy natural rubber lines.

Do you think the problem may have come from an ethanol/rubber interaction?

No, I stay away from ethanol fuels, we do have a choice, so far. I have heard that ethanol does that so I tend to shy away from it. Good point, though.

On a Ride
    I run Stabil in all my bikes every winter... just in case something happens and I can't get out for a long time. Zero problems.

I've read messages in other forums noting today's fuel can start to go bad in six weeks.

I've never done anything to my bikes except close the petcock and run it till it quits, with a bit of choking at the end. The Buell starts right up every spring and is just as angry as ever. Of course that isn't something I can do with the 1150GS so I just park it. The fuel in the injectors is under pressure so shouldn't evaporate. (or so I've been told) It will probably only sit for 3 to 4 months so I don't forsee any problems, we'll see come spring.

Al

Another product sold with fear???

Interesting to read that good gas has a shelf life of "at least a year" in a cool place. My garage is certainly cool this time of year.
    Makes me think Stabil is another product marketed with that wonderful fear factor we seem to respond to so well.
    Shoot, I never figured Paul Harvey would promote a product that wasn't really necessary.
    and now we know .......(with a Harvey-esque pause) the rest of the story.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    The only thing that keeps me off the road in the winter is the salt they put down in abundance here in SW Ohio. It will age a bike rapidly.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

On a Ride
    Interesting information from Chevron. Every spring one can read posts on the internet from riders who left an untreated tank of gas in their bike during winter, and couldn't get the bike to run properly. My guess is the air/fuel delivery system isn't that "tightly closed".

dlearl476
    I travel regularly for work, sometimes for months at a time. My routine is: add the proper amount of Stabil, fill tank, ride until the Stabil/Fuel mixture hits the carbs/injectors. I've never had a single problem with any of my bikes or cars. In fact, I once had the same tank of gas in my R60/5 for two years. The two times I started it, it fired on the second kick and idled at 600 rpm in less than a minute.

>I've read messages in other forums noting today's fuel can start to go bad in six weeks.

OTOH, this fall I had my Triumph apart for a valve adjust. I ran the tank down low so I didn't have to muscle 5 gal of gas along with the tank. Ran into some unforseen issues and ended up not finishing the job for 3 weeks. When I first rode it, I thought I had done something seriously wrong like got the timing chain off by a link or messed up the tensioner. All went away when I filled up. The 1/4 tank of gas had turned to crap in 4 weeks and the bike was knocking like an SOB on hard acceleration.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Back before I ever heard of Stabil, I never worried about this issue.

Change the oil and put the lawnmower away at the end of the season with a full tank -- it always cranked in the spring.

Refill the motocycle tank after the every third or fourth week dayride the winter weather permits, and it never had a problem.

The weedeater -- what a joy! Filled the little sucker up with the right mix, and hung it on a rafter. Take it out in the spring time, choke it, and pull twice. Presto! It started after a winter of just hanging around.

Then I heard about Stabil, and I've been paranoid about unstable fuel ever since. Before that, I always attributed the fuel problems to gas that was on its way to bad when put in the tank.

Anyway, I've not had any problems with hoses breaking down, so I don't think the Stabil has hurt me. Since my natural tendency is to err towards caution when maintaining mechanical stuff, I think I'll stick with the plan I am on, and continue to add the additive to the fuel.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.