Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPS For Under 600$

Question GPS For Under 600$

I have six bills to spend and I want a GPS for my bike I want the best for the money. It needs to be able to take the eliments and be easy to use and see. Any advive
    SGTBoring

Live it, or live with it
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtboring View Post
    I have six bills to spend and I want a GPS for my bike I want the best for the money. It needs to be able to take the elements and be easy to use and see. Any advice
    Check Ebay. Last year, I bought an older model Garmin (StreetPilot III+) that was factory refurbished and paid a little over $200. Garmin considered it a 'new' sale so I got the latest City Navigator upgrade for free.

Here's another deal from the Adventure Rider website.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=Garmin+deal

I don't know if this is still valid, but in summary:
    Garmin 2610 with Acc.-$275.00 (refurbished by Garmin, same warranty as new)
    AndrewÔÇÖs contact info:
    303/549-1939
    Edge Navigation Services
    www.edgegps.com
    Motor On '/,

I just bought a Garmin 2720 for $429 (refurbished) from
    http://www.gpsonsale.com/garmin/prod...tpilot2720.htm

I'm not affiliated with them at all. Many riders prefer the 2610 model. I have a Mac computer and didn't want the hassle of loading crap into it. The 2720 has all the maps loaded.

One word of advice, whatever unit you choose make sure that it does not use a hard drive. They just don't hold up while on an MC

Now I just have to figure out how to mount it...

Sanders

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but for another 150 bucks you can get a brand new Zumo 550 which is designed for motorcycles. Comes with mounting kit for both your bike and your car. Designed to work with gloves on. Has Blue Tooth for your phone, and XM radio. Garmin just added new updates so the new ones now have altimeter, auto routing and a bunch more stuff. And . . . It's waterproof. Ask anyone who has one.

For those who bought the early models without all the new enhancements, you can download them for free at Garmin.com.

Thumbs up Garmin Zumo : $699

Check out the web site for TourTech. They offer the Garmin Zumo at a reasonable price.

Better yet, if you do not desire XM Satellite Radio or Bluetooth technology, as I don't, they offer a Garmin without those two features, which brought the price down from the usual $800 - $900 to $699 - brand new!

Happy travels!

I have six bills to spend and I want a GPS for my bike I want the best for the money. It needs to be able to take the elements and be easy to use and see. Any advive
    For about half that you can get a Garmin 60 Cx. Why spend more than you have to to get nothing extra...and most probably less.

Personally, I don't look at any units if they have built-in or proprietary batteries and if they have built in maps and fixed memory. I hate limitations.

You didn't list how you plan to use it and what features are important to YOU.

Check out www.buy.com for great Garmin 2720 prices...brand new factory units, not refurbished like some places. Last I looked price was $449 plus free shipping.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

The Zumo 550 is now $701 at Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Zumo-55...24130_as_img_1

Garmin 76CS here

I just used the Garmin 76CS, for color screen all the way around the USA/Canada with great results. They come in at about your price tag, or a tad less. I also use it at SEA on my boat, with sea "Blue"charts installed. Nice packageRandy13233

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Be careful of some of the eBay purchases as Garmin has a reasonable policy of making sure that one is not authorizing stolen property.

I am real partial to the 2610 but it is obsolete, but I think you can still find some around. I would recommend nothing with a spinning hard drive... I recommend flash media of some sort.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

I bought a refurbished Garmin Quest to replace my Streetpilot III from Global Phoenix off E-bay for 254.00 shipped. Came with a Garmin 1 year guarantee.
    I wanted something smaller than the Streetpilot that I could also use on the Dual Sport, bicycle and for hiking. The screen may take some getting used to but I think I will be happy.

Registered User rivendellriderx's Avatar
    Try Costco. At costco.com they are offering a Garmin 2730 for $499.99. This comes with the XM radio antenna, which if you only need the GPS, you could sell on eBay to recoup some of your cost.

Kevin

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    For about half that you can get a Garmin 60 Cx. Why spend more than you have to to get nothing extra...and most probably less.

Personally, I don't look at any units if they have built-in or proprietary batteries and if they have built in maps and fixed memory. I hate limitations.

You didn't list how you plan to use it and what features are important to YOU.
    +1 on the Garmin 60Cx. You don't need the 60CSx - the altimeter is stupid when GPS calculates your altitude for you anyways - and much more accurately than a barometric altimeter.

The 60Cx has lots of internal flash memory and a slot for SD cards, so memory is almost unlimited. You can plan trips and routes on your computer and upload routes and the appropriate maps to your GPS device. It works on your bike, in your car, on the strap of your backpack, on the deck of your kayak, on the bridge of your yacht, on the handlebars of your bicycle - everywhere.

You can pick one up for around $400.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

I have six bills to spend and I want a GPS for my bike I want the best for the money. It needs to be able to take the eliments and be easy to use and see. Any advive
    Not sure what they are going for these days but I have a TomTom Rider and since the firmware updates have been very pleased with it. The screen is large, works with gloves, no buttons, weather resistant, recalculates quickly when you miss a turn or decide you don't want to go that-a-way. No Harddrive.
    Mike

Current: '05 R1200RT
    Past: '71 Triumph Bonniville 650, '84 Kawasaki LTD 700, '86 K100RT

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    +1 on the Garmin 60Cx.
    An incredibly versatile little unit, isn't it? A feature packed unit! I'd buy it again considering all the units that have come out since.

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    You don't need the 60CSx - the altimeter is stupid when GPS calculates your altitude for you anyways - and much more accurately than a barometric altimeter.
    You've been reading my posts somewhere.