Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Flip-Up Helmet Comparison

Hmmm... anything about terms and conditions in there? I don't think I've heard of a dealer sending someone out in any helmet, let alone a Schuberth.

BTW, how did you get your Motorrad subscription? I'd like to nail down Motorrad and Touren-Fahrer subscriptions here in the States.
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    Hmmm... anything about terms and conditions in there? I don't think I've heard of a dealer sending someone out in any helmet, let alone a Schuberth.
    Well it is a first and a welcome one. They probably want a credit card deposit. The helmets are labelled as demo helmets. Your best bet is to find a Polo shop near an autobahn and take it for a good long, high speed run...if you want to check for wind noise.

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    BTW, how did you get your Motorrad subscription? I'd like to nail down Motorrad and Touren-Fahrer subscriptions here in the States.
    I get my subscription to MOTORRAD form German Canadian News. They don't carry Touren-Fahrer. I subscribe to Motorrad Abenteuer, Motorrad Freizeit and Reise Ride On! Motorrad, but those go to my Euro address where I pick them up...tour reports don't get outdated.

MOTORRAD Subscriptions in the US. Warning...pricey!

Global Touring
    I get my subscription to MOTORRAD form German Canadian News. They don't carry Touren-Fahrer. I subscribe to Motorrad Abenteuer, Motorrad Freizeit and Reise Ride On! Motorrad, but those go to my Euro address where I pick them up...tour reports don't get outdated.

MOTORRAD Subscriptions in the US. Warning...pricey![/QUOTE]

Tourenfahrer does not have a subscription outlet/ distributor in North America. You'll need to subscribe directly with their German office or website, www.tourenfahrer.de. They will accept US credit cards Visa/MC, although that's not clear on the website. It's currently about US$70 per year for 12 monthly issues mailed directly to NA address from Germany. If the website doesn't work for you, email directly Frau Latteman, l.lattemann@pms-abo.de, or fax +49 (0)211 690789-50.

I have the Nolan. Fits me fine. Don't like the external visor as it is noisy when up. I always wear ear plugs. Paid less than $200.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Just ordered the Shoei Multitec from Bob's Cycle Supply. $409.00. No sales tax and free shipping. It's $495 at the local BMW dealer, and tax would be another $50 on top of that.

I'll let you know what I think after I've used it. Should be quite the change from my old TZ-1.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

LeeSG
    Another opinion on the Multitec.

First ride with it today, about 300 miles. Previously I've been riding with an Arai Quantum II. The Shoei felt great-- seemed lighter than the Arai (don't know the actual weights, easy to find out), very quiet, no neck and back ache after a few hours riding as with the Arai, and I absolutely love the flip front.

The quality of the finish on the Shoei seems a bit better than the Arai, though both are very high quality. It fits me better than the Arai. I don't understand the bit about "American" heads and fit. The Arai pressed against my forehead and gave me a headache after about an hour. Shoei fits better. I know that's personal, but there seems to be so much about Arai's fit that I thought I'd mention it.

Bought mine through Helment City, about $430 with no shipping charge, so I think the price is a wash.

helmets

I like my Nolan N 100 e, and I wasn't aware that it had done well in a helmet test. It seems to be noisy, but that may be more from the aerodynamics of my RS windshield and my high riding position. My only quibble with it is that you can't crack it open slightly for rain riding, although it does not usually fog up. I am still trying to figure out something that I could clamp to the bottom lip of the face opening as a visor stop.

Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    I am still trying to figure out something that I could clamp to the bottom lip of the face opening as a visor stop.
    What about two 1/4" long strips of that rubber/vinyl coated metal U channel that is normally pressed onto edges. Slip one on the bottom of each side of your faceshield partway from the center. Pop them off when you want the shield to close fully; pop them on when you want some venting.

Just an idea.

flip helmets

Thanks Alex; this sounds like it will work.

Where would you get that channel, and what kind of edges is it normally pressed onto i.e. is it construction stuff, or for automotive?

Rinty

Are you thinking of the "laminar lip" stuff you can add to the edge of a windscreen?
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Where would you get that channel, and what kind of edges is it normally pressed onto i.e. is it construction stuff, or for automotive?

Rinty
    Now I remember what I pressed that stuff onto...the back edge of the windshield on my Suzuki RG 500 Gamma...that was a long time ago.

I checked the Spaenaur catalog. They had something similar, but not exactly what I was looking for.

Try an auto trim shop.
    Last edited by GlobalRider; 04-23-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Contrarian...bought System V in New Zealand

After 6 BMW System IVs over the years..I tried the others but somehow they don't fit my head the same as the System series.

Bought the metallic drk blue Sys V model in New Zealand a couple weeks ago..light, fit light a glove, quiet, great ventilation, wonderful visibility, great in the rain, easy to put on, etc.

But do wish it had the built in sun shade..so I bought an extra tinted sheild instead.
    Greg Hutchinson
    R80G/S (4) 633CSi with 450K mile
    '68 R60/2 '88 K100RS Special Edition
    http://gregsgssite.shutterfly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post
    Just ordered the Shoei Multitec from Bob's Cycle Supply. $409.00. No sales tax and free shipping. It's $495 at the local BMW dealer, and tax would be another $50 on top of that.

I'll let you know what I think after I've used it. Should be quite the change from my old TZ-1.
    I've got about 100 miles on my new Multitec. I had no idea how tired my previous Shoei was until I started wearing the Multitec. My prior lid was an XL TZ-1 that came with the bike. While I thought it fit fine, when I tried the Multitec on at the dealer, I discovered how snugly a helmet really should fit. My Multitec is a large.

The Multitec has great cups around the ear that seal out wind and engine noise while still allowing room for earphones. The chin bar opening mechanism seems flawless, and of course I'm used to Shoei's face shield set-up.

I've noticed with the new helmet just how unstable the old lid was. Not fitting snugly against my cheeks allowed the old helmet to move around when buffeted by the slipstream. The new lid is firmly in place and all buffeting is eliminated.

Now if I can only keep from dropping it, and scratching the sheild, I'll be a happy guy!
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

I like my Nolan N 100 e, and I wasn't aware that it had done well in a helmet test. It seems to be noisy, but that may be more from the aerodynamics of my RS windshield and my high riding position. My only quibble with it is that you can't crack it open slightly for rain riding, although it does not usually fog up. I am still trying to figure out something that I could clamp to the bottom lip of the face opening as a visor stop.

Rinty
    I ride an RS too, and compared to the Caberg, the Nolan N102 is REAAAL quiet.

I can crack mine open a little bit, but the pin lock anti Fog is the best.

I've been riding with the Nolan about a year, and took the VPS off about 6 months ago. I went out for a ride the other day, and decided, sunny, lets try the Caberg.. i got it on, fastened teh chin strap, and that was as far as I got. Nowhere near as comfortable. Then I had to go in the house because I couldn't remember how to unfasten the chin strap. Got the Caberg off, put the VPS back on the Nolan, and been a happy camper since.

Also with the VPS you can have it halfway down, and use it more like a sun visor than sun glasses.. still look through the clear visor but keeps the sun out of your eyes.
    2009 R1200RT
    2002 R1150RS (Sylvia) (sold *sniff*)
    2006 JD2305

Rinty

Rinty,

Take a look at Autozone or some such...I think it's sold as auto door-edge trim.

Sarah
    '05 DR650; '01 XT225