Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Flip-Up Helmet Comparison

agv Miglia

have tried many modulars Schuberth way to heavy horrible venting, HJC a close friend bought and when it started to come apart after a few months wear and HJC wouldn't do anything about it that turned me off. The AGV is light adjustable with cheek & top pads for more comfortable fit and around $200. Also shields are not to expensive to replace. Their XR models vent better but theis is a really well made helmet.

I'd like to see a Caberg Trip. I've read folks like them better than the Justissimo.

Sarah

Ditto for www.helmetharbor.com in Gilbert, AZ. I've bought spares from them in the past.

However, going to the German Schuberth web site and trying to locate the US distributor still gives:
    "USA

For further information please
    contact our Sales Department
    directly:

SCHUBERTH GmbH
    Sales:
    Rebenring 31a
    38106 Braunschweig
    Germany

Phone: +49 (531) 3 80 05-135
    Fax: +49 (531) 3 80 05-180
    E-mail: wachendorf@schuberth.de "
    Last edited by RBEmerson; 04-17-2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added Schuberth.de URL
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

Motorradfahrer

Flip-up Helmet comparison II

The Schubert helmet might be heavy. Like all Helmets...all are, I suppose worn behind the windshield which renders them ALL useless for venting. Even the best in the world will sweat, has poor or no venting. IF it is being worn above the windshield or fully exposed to the elements then you will appreciate the Schuberths weigh and its excellent venting as compared to the lightweights that will buff you crazy. Try lowering the windshield to its max and test them, you'll see!

+1 on where you and the air flow are. If the helmet is in totally still air, it's not going to be much fun.

One of the differences between the C-1 (sometimes just called the Concept) and the C-2 is how venting works. In the C-1, the chinbar has a chin scoop (that can be flipped open or mostly closed) that leads to a small vent that can be opened (air blows on your chin) or closed (air heads up towards the inside of the visor). Particularly in cool riding, it was easy to see the air flow worked. In the C-2, the chin scoop is still there, doesn't open quite as far, and there's only the visor vent.

The head scoop shape is different (the C-1's scoop is roughly triangular [see my avatar], while the C-2's scoop is retangular), too, but the real change is the channels for air flow inside the helmet. There are two front-to-back channels in the hard foam liner, on the side towards the wearer (as opposed to towards the helmet shell). The removable soft liner has a strap that is wider at one end than the other. The idea is to either block part of the air flow (for winter use) or to flip the strap around, so the wide part doesn't block the vent, for summer use. So far... Works for me!

The C-1 and C-2 seem to rely on positive pressure (that is, cramming air into the helmet) while the S-1 (full face) seems to count on both exhaust and ramming to move air in the helmet. Doesn't seem to work as well for me.
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    It depends... USD / Euro conversions hurt! But, yeah, stripping off the value-added tax as you leave the country does help somewhat.
    Might as well post some Euro prices:

Caberg Rhyno (at Louis): Ôé¼150,
    Caberg Justissimo (at Louis): Ôé¼260,
    Nolan N102 Classic (at Louis): Ôé¼285,
    Schuberth Concept (at Louis on sale): Ôé¼279 (solid), Ôé¼299 (metallic),
    Schuberth Concept 2 (at Louis): Ôé¼399 (solid), Ôé¼419 (metallic), Ôé¼449 (multi color/decor).

To get US pricing, divide by 1.16 then multiply the result by 1.35. A Schuberth Concept in metallic would run just under US$350.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Those of you happy with your Caberg, can you comment on what other brands you find comfortable. I'm wondering if they are good for Shoei heads.
    I love my Shoei for comfort, but it's the nosiest helmet I've ever had.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Bob C
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    Those of you happy with your Caberg, can you comment on what other brands you find comfortable. I'm wondering if they are good for Shoei heads.
    I love my Nolan.

All day comfort, good venting, great visibility compared to the Caberg and much quieter than the Caberg.. I do miss the internal visor, but it's worth the trade off to me.

Gail, I think you've hit a key point: fit. A helmet can have all manner of good features, but if it doesn't fit, the features aren't going to help much. It's unfortunate that most dealers, in effect, stuff you into a helmet, yank it around a bit, and declare the fitting done. I've tried at least standing around for a while with a helmet on, in hopes some "hot spots" or pressure points would either suggest themselves (or not). Better than nothing, I guess, but not by much. And that does nothing for how a helmet handles noise.

In the list of sources for helmet, Alex mentioned Louis, a large German chain of after-market motorcycle gear. One of the Berlin stores has a bike strapped down in a wind tunnel of sorts, so you can at least sit on a bike and get some idea of how it sounds while riding. If anyone else does this, I have yet to hear about it.

Buying a helmet becomes, too often a $200-$600 dollar gamble that you'll like it. If you don't, there's not much hope for getting your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    Same here, but as far as I'm concerned, they're all noisy, at least compared to wearing the same helmet when wearing ear plugs.

Do most people not use them?

E-A-R Foam Earplugs. I've been wearing them since the beginning of my flying days and then also while riding.

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

To SheRidesaBeemer;
    I have a Shoei RF 900 and a Caberg and both fit about the same. I also fit well in my Arai Corsair RX7. However baseball caps stay on my noggin while driving my skiff around at 30 MPH also
    Last edited by riderR1150GSAdv; 04-18-2007 at 10:24 PM.

+1 on ear plugs. While I was skeptical about them initially (not a good idea not to be able to hear sirens, for example), I'm very much "don't leave home without them" now. Turning the volume down on noise (as opposed to totally blocking it) works for me. And it does take the edge off otherwise excessively noisy helmets.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I wear ear plug all the time. But for my XC country trip, I know I'll want tunes for those long afternoons. I have neither the time nor the inclination to get custom ear buds.
    I'm going to test out a pair of better quality ear buds and see if the music is ok or if the air noise wins out.
    First I need something other than freezing rain to ride in!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

That's easy: Etymotic ER-6i's. Excellent sound, very low profile away from your ears (matters while wearing a helmet), and excellent noise reduction. A quick check on eBay turned up 15 listings for about $80, Buy It Now.

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    In the list of sources for helmet, Alex mentioned Louis, a large German chain of after-market motorcycle gear. One of the Berlin stores has a bike strapped down in a wind tunnel of sorts, so you can at least sit on a bike and get some idea of how it sounds while riding. If anyone else does this, I have yet to hear about it.
    I just got my MOTORRAD magazine today and as usual, it comes with the regular flyers; Louis, Polo, etc.

The cover page of the Polo flyer has a Schuberth C2 on it and the caption states "Now in all Polo shops - test ride the Schuberth C2 today". Thats a first.