Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Flip-Up Helmet Comparison

Caberg

Where did you buy your Caberg Justissimo? The Caberg web site doesn't list a north american distributor.
    Thanks
    Gar

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 37071 View Post
    Where did you buy your Caberg Justissimo? The Caberg web site doesn't list a north american distributor.
    Thanks
    Many BMW dealers carry them.

Mortons BMW in VA has them, as does Capitol BMW in Raleigh NC.

Jim

Er, no joy with the Motorrad article - they only make it available to subscribers or, for non-subscribers, it's "pay to play". I take it they didn't review the Caberg Justissimo?

FWIW, I tried a Caberg Solo ("non-flip" version of the Justissimo) and was sufficiently underwhelmed by it, in comparison to my Schuberth helmets, to send it back.

I've been frustrated with an S-1 (full face Schuberth) and thought I'd try a Solo in hopes a different design with the same basic features would work out. Long story short, nah. The helmet just lacks a general feel of quality and substance. In all fairness, Caberg helmets sell for roughly half of Schuberth helmets. Maybe I'd feel different if I'd never owned a Schuberth.

So now I wear a Schuberth C-2 and like it very much. The internal sun visor is definitely one of the best ideas since the invention of the pop tab.

Now if Schuberth can only get its act together about having a US distributor... Fairchild Sports (previous distributor for Schuberth and Hein-Gericke) is very much out of the picture. There was supposed to be an announcement of a new distributor at the February bike industry show in Indianapolis but I've heard nothing new. (FWIW, Caberg uses Nicholson in IL; they do not want to hear from retail customers or even want to tell you where their retailers are. ).
    Last edited by RBEmerson; 04-16-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Editorial clean-up
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

Bob C
    Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post
    My GF has one and loves it. I use the Sheuberth C1, and it fits me great and works very well.

Jim
    I was surprised to see Morton's now carries Caberg..

They are now looking into a replacement part for mine, I don't know what speed they are tested too, but apparently I exceeded it. The top vent flew off SOMEWHERE in MD..

I've got the silver Graphics Justissimo, but prefer my Nolan N102 to it, even after removing the VPS visor. the Nolan is quieter, had better visibility..etc.. etc..

Hoping Arai will opt for a modular

My Arai (full face) RX-7RR3 is both the most expensive and most comfortable lid I have ever owned; as mentioned , before fit is a very personal thing and this unit fits my large Irish noggin to perfection; sure would like to see them come out with a flip model but the rep at the Minneapolis show did not think it was under consideration.

There are visors and visors. Schuberth Concept C-1 and C-2 (both the external and internal visors are interchangable, BTW - I bought a new external visor, for my C-1, in a Hein-Gericke store in Wiesbaden, Germany in December and it's marked for both helmets) use essentially a curved band of tinted plastic. There's only one curve, to match the top of the helmet opening's radius.

The S-1 and Caberg use a compound curve, closer to something you'd see in an aircraft helmet sun visor. The results are somewhat optically active (acts as a lens) although the intent is to be as close to neutral as possible. The S-1's sun visor is pretty good about this although there is some sort of subtle difference. The Caberg Solo I tried, however, was definitely more active and there was a distinct sense of shift of (visual) focus. I wear glasses (progressive bifocals) and even with them on, the effect was subtle but it was definitely there.

Functionally, the idea of an internal sun visor is, as I said, about the best idea since the pop-tab on a can. Wheeling down I-95 in full sun, there's plenty of protection. On entering Baltimore's Harbor Tunnel, all I have to do is flip the visor up and I have full, undimmed vision. Because the visor's internal, there's no concern about wear or dirt or dust contamination grinding on the clear visor (i.e., N-102). Removing the visors is a no-tools process.

I've heard that Scorpion is going to introduce a full-face helmet with an internal sun visor. At this point, the introduction has been pushed back to May, '07 instead of late March or April.
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I checked out the new Shoei MultiTech at my dealer a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the lid. The dealer was selling the helmet for just under $500. I've subsequently found it available online for just under $400.

As soon as I have an "extra" $400 burning a hole in my wallet, I'll be replacing my old Shoei with a new MultiTech.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Gopheride

Helmets

+ 1 for the Caberg.I have worn it for the last 6k miles and it fits my head comfortably,tight enough not to slip backwards at speed and it doesn't squeeze my temples to give me a headache.I find the quality VG and have had no problems with water leaking past the visor. The built in sun visor mechanism is easy to use and the sun visor is internal and doesn't rattle or scratch.
    Price was $300, less than half the priceof the Schuberth at my local BMW dealer. It is quieter than the HJC,my other flip. .IMHO it is wise to try on several different brands of helmet before making a choice.
    Aerostitch Rider warehouse and Nicks BMW in Depere WI list the Caberg also.

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    Er, no joy with the Motorrad article - I take it they didn't review the Caberg Justissimo?
    That one they didn't test. I don't know why. Maybe its been around for a while and was tested previously.

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    Now if Schuberth can only get its act together about having a US distributor...
    Oh well Rick, I guess we'll just have to pick one up on our next trip over. Besides, its far cheaper...and no tax bringing it back. The last time, I also got the 16% MwSt back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    That one they didn't test. I don't know why. Maybe its been around for a while and was tested previously.
    Odd. As you say, it may be old news. But then, the C-2 isn't that new.

Oh well Rick, I guess we'll just have to pick one up on our next trip over. Besides, its far cheaper...and no tax bringing it back. The last time, I also got the 16% MwSt back as well.
    It depends... USD / Euro conversions hurt! And the nice lady behind the counter at the Naspa bank laughs as she counts out the paltry stack of euros a huge stack of dollars buys... But, yeah, stripping off the value-added tax as you leave the country does help somewhat.

BUBBAZANETTI
    i was at the local everything shop today and i realized my only motivation to get a flip up helmet was gone, smoking

they make my head look larger than a standard full face, something i DONT need

burnzilla, don't you dare post that picutre

HJC Sy-Max

For a decent flip up, check out the HJC Sy-Max. Less than $200 and fits great. Keeps the rain out too.............
    Tim Hebert
    aka
    Green Mountain Crewzr
    '99 R1200C
    '73 R60/5 Toaster
    BMW MOA #124866, BMW MOV #1080

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    i was at the local everything shop today and i realized my only motivation to get a flip up helmet was gone, smoking
    they make my head look larger than a standard full face, something i DONT need[...]
    Er, check out my avatar here and on ST.N, and the caption below it there. Trust me, "larger" head is not an issue with these rascals.

[QUOTE=RBEmerson;199726]Now if Schuberth can only get its act together about having a US distributor... QUOTE]

Looks like they stock them here http://www.extremesupply.com/index.htm

Thanks for posting that website, lots and lots of stuff.

Sarah