Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suggested Route to Rally

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    The only thing that concerns me is what rest areas will you be merging into. You just don't have enough details, how can you make such an unorganized trip??
    Well once I get the basic route down, I shall complete the indepth routing with hourly goals and check points
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Thumbs up Suggested Route To Rally

I like David's (476) suggestion through Taos. Do any of those roads take you through Durango? Thanks for the suggestions.
    Blog: http://swriding.blogspot.com
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

eljeffe

Rapz -- Check this out

Depending on how many days you want to ride to/from Spokane, you must not miss the following:

Day 1:
    South Texas to Santa Fe, NM - should be able to make it from South Texas to Santa Fe pretty easily. I ride from Dallas to Santa Fe all the time. If you want the best hotel in Santa Fe, stay a the Inn at Loretto or Bishops Lodge. Make sure you take Bishops Lodge Road out of Santa Fe (avoid the traffic and have a nice easy drive).

Day 2:
    Santa Fe, NM to Vernal, UT - should be able to make it from Santa Fe, NM to Vernal, UT if you watch your time and stops. Head up US 84 out of Santa Fe (Bishops Lodge Road intersects US 84 in Tesuque). Keep heading up to Chama, then cut across to Pagosa Springs. Then head to US 550 (Million Dollar Highway) via Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Montrose, Delta, Grand Junction. Then head up to Dinosaur and Vernal. Get a good night's sleep in Vernal, because you are in for a real treat the next morning.

Better yet, just head from Santa Fe to the Top o' the Rockies Rally in Paonia, CO and spend a couple days there. ToTR is the BEST CAMPING RALLY AROUND!!! PERIOD. Anyone who disagrees just doesn't understand.

Day 3: Vernal, UT to West Yellowstone, MT - This will be a short day, enough to get a leisurely couple hours at Yellowstone Lodge and get to see Old Faithful. Start in Vernal and head up US 191 - Have fun on the 13 switchbacks just north of town. Then cut over on UT 43 and 44 and head up the west edge of the Flaming Gorge to Green River. Then head north on US 191 through Farson, WY (make sure to stop for Ice Cream). Then head up to Jackson, WY and Yellowstone. If you leave Vernal by 8am, you will be in Yellowstone by 2pm. Ride through the park a little bit and then make it to West Yellowstone, MT. If you have extra time, this is definitely worth spending an extra day running around.

Day 4: West Yellowstone, MT to Spokane, WA - Just head up US 287 and catch the freeway. Freeways in Montana are NOTHING like the are in Texas. Just be sure to get off in Missoula and head down to US 12 from Lolo Pass to Clarkston, WA. You can slab it up to Spokane from Clarkston. US 12 is where that sign that says "twisty roads for next 77 miles" can be found. AWESOME.

MT State of mind
    Re BradfordBenn's day 3: It's all I-90, not 94. That ends at Billings MT.

Thanks
    -=Brad

REBECCAV

Re: Route from South Bend, IN to Rally

Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    The part I am most worried about is around Chicago.
    Chicago is awful, but I've found that I'm actually given more space and respect on a motorcycle than on four wheels.

If you can go through in the middle of the night or very early (before 6:00am), it is a relative piece of cake.

Early is the probable option. I am now thinking about just going 294 around the city.
    -=Brad

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Taking 294 will guarantee at least 7 stops for tolls. I usually enjoy going thru downtown, doing battle with the rush, and often doing 70-ish through The Loop. Just go with the flow, maybe just a little faster than traffic, always try to keep a way out, and keep your eyes open. I've had worse problems going through Smalltown, USA. Being apprehensive is fine, seeing as you've never gone there. Don't be too scared, otherwise you'll have problems. You can do it! See ya at the beer tent again!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

REBECCAV
    Originally posted by manic mechanic
    Taking 294 will guarantee at least 7 stops for tolls. I usually enjoy going thru downtown
    The traffic is just as bad on 294 as it is on 94 and the tolls will slow you down, so for me, 294 offers no advantage. Like manic mechanic, I prefer heading directly into the belly of the beast.

The only time I've done 70ish throught the loop is at about 4am. I also like the express lanes if they're open.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Yea, verily, BG! See ya at the Goose?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

REBECCAV
    Yup.

Danks!

Yup no matter how it is sliced Chicago is hard. I spent a few weeks commuting to Soldier Field so I am well aware of the fun of Chicago, just never on Motorcycle.
    -=Brad