Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear Oil

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar

Gear Oil

I hope this doesn't start a fight, but I was wondering if you high milers out there could enlighten us rookies on what would be the best gear oil to use when replacing the tranny and rear end oil. I am considering synthetic, since I have had great luck with synthetic oils over the years.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I'm not a high miler, but I've got the answer(s) for you.

You've got an older oilhead, yes?
    Tranny:
    BMW 75w140 synthetic. It'll smooth out the shifting a bit and not suffer, as much, from thinning when the bike is really hot (and so it won't clunk quite as much when fully warmed).

Mobil 1, Red Line, etc make a similar multi-weight oil that works comparably well. I vote for the best price, and here, surprisingly, the BMW comes ahead by a whopping $1 or so. YMMV

Final drive:
    Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil (GL5).

GIZMO

Re: Gear Oil

Originally posted by lorazepam
    I hope this doesn't start a fight, but I was wondering if you high milers out there could enlighten us rookies on what would be the best gear oil to use when replacing the tranny and rear end oil. I am considering synthetic, since I have had great luck with synthetic oils over the years.
    Hi,

I would use synthetic for both, you will notice improved shifting as far as the transmission goes.

I've used dino hypoid oil with 5% Dow Gear Guard, but am currently using the BMW synthetic stuff.

The synthetic stuff helps shifting over straight dino, but it's a wash against dino with Gear Guard.

dave
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Dave-

Where do you purchase Dow Gear Guard? I asked at a local bearing supply whsler, and they never heard of it.

TIA

Steve
    Steve Terrien

BMWMOA #18114

BMWMOV

Originally posted by bmwterrien
    Dave-

Where do you purchase Dow Gear Guard? I asked at a local bearing supply whsler, and they never heard of it.

TIA

Steve
    Ask Glavin. He's probably got a 50 gallon drum of it.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I agree with Scott. The BMW 75w140 synthetic is good for shifting, especially when the bike is hot. Either Mobil I or Valvoline 75w90 in the rear drive works well.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

dlearl476
    Speaking of gear oil. The Porsche guys swear by "Swepco 201" I did my first transaxle fluid change today and the trans is noticably smoother. Has anyone ever tried this stuff in a BMW trans and rear end? Or is this a "transaxle" specific formula?

I'm using RedLine Shockproof synthetic in my 94 R1100RS. It is formulated to form a cusioning film on the gears. The stuff is really thick when you pour it in, so I would have to believe that it does so. I have found that my bike shifts smoother with less clunkiness since I've started using it. It is not cheap to buy, but neither is a transmission. I buy it at a local racing shop, apparently it is quite popular in auto racing. I've also seen it at some bike shops, but at a higher price.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I have noticed that at 9,000 miles the transmissions on the RT or GS doesn't shift as well as when the oil is new. Change the oil at 12,000 miles, and it shifts easier and with less transmission noise. Anyone changing the transmission and differential oil on a more frequent schedule?

Do the '04 oilheads change the gear oil more often than the older oilheads? BMWRT has a new thread that in severe city driving the engine oil on the '04 RT'should be changed something like every 2800 miles or 3 months.

How many quarts of oil does it take to change the transmission and differential at a dealership

Originally posted by Dark Cloud

How many quarts of oil does it take to change the transmission and differential at a dealership
    On the K75 and R1150 the tranny takes almost a quart, and the rear end takes about 9 oz. I don't think it matters who does it. ;-)
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

GIZMO
    Originally posted by Dark Cloud
    I have noticed that at 9,000 miles the transmissions on the RT or GS doesn't shift as well as when the oil is new. Change the oil at 12,000 miles, and it shifts easier and with less transmission noise. Anyone changing the transmission and differential oil on a more frequent schedule?

Do the '04 oilheads change the gear oil more often than the older oilheads? BMWRT has a new thread that in severe city driving the engine oil on the '04 RT'should be changed something like every 2800 miles or 3 months.

I change the tranny and drive shaft at 6K intervals. Seems to work well for me.

I do my gear oil changes every spring as part of my prep for the riding season. I ride 15 - 20,000 Km per year, and the oil seems to be fine for this duration.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I don't think it is necessary to change trans/final drive oil any more than once a year, regardless of the miles driven. API/SAE spec oils are of excellant quality nowadays. When is the last time you changed it in your transaxle, transfer case, transmission/ rear end of your car or truck? My 4WD pick-up has 50k miles, and other than the AT fluid, it has never been done.
    Something to think about.....
    Steve Terrien

BMWMOA #18114

BMWMOV

I've been using Redline's Heavy Duty Shockproof in my '99S with 66K.The shifting is vastly improved, I'm down to only 2 neutrals now....I tried it also in differential, but it blows out the breather at anything over 80MPH or so...really made a mess a few times, so I reverted back to BMW's lube,no further problems in the rear drive.Redline engineer told me to drop down a weight, but my local car racing shop will only order the stuff for me by the case,