Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Belstaff Gear

I have the Pioneer pants too. Overall I like them. In my climate I usually do not use the liner, and with shorts underneath I've been comfy up to the low 70s although being black, they do heat up in the sun. I wish they had higher zippers, as they can be difficult to get boots through. I agree about the belt- in fact, the adjustment on mine pulls the top-snap open! I do not have a jacket to which the pants will zip (FirstGear Kili- no zipper in it at all), so I hold them up with a set of tool-belt suspenders. This works pretty well.
    I went down in the Pioneers once. Fairly low speed, but I slid on my hip for a few feet. It barely marred them at all.
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Found My Model - The Mercury

Mercury Jacket

Hi tenacity nylon with a Teflon coating for dirt resistance
    Microskin waterproof, breathable membrane ÔÇó Detachable Thermolite?« quilted liner ÔÇó Knox?« CE Approved shoulder and elbow armour supplied ÔÇó Pocket for back armour ÔÇó Double stormflap with secure gutter system down the jacket front ÔÇó Reflective trims and shoulder panels ÔÇó Arm adjusters ÔÇó Front and rear ventilation zips ÔÇó Neoprene on collar edge and under chin for comfort ÔÇó Zip for connecting to Belstaff jackets ÔÇó Back collar adjuster

It is a great piece of gear - much more weather protection than my Kilimanjaro. But the Kilimanjaro has more pocket capacity for cameras and such.

Always try one on. They run small. Mine is two sizes larger than my usual US size.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 01-15-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Belstaff, for any of you that aren't totally familiar with what has happened to them in past few year, here is the lowdown. 1st off the logo and name were sold off to Armani. The motorcycle gear company is the same as it had been but is called British Motorcycle Gear. Same great product as it always was,....the other "stuff" is over priced designer clothing. I wear and love Belstaff gear!!! they sponsored me during the 03 IB rally and I have been sold on there jackets, pants and gloves since then. I wear the discovery jacket and typhoon pants I can throw them in the washer and rewaterproof them and am good to go for 6 to 8 mos. Here is the link http://www.belstaffusa.com/index.asp

Follow up questions....

If you have the jackets, are you happy with the ventilation? Most of my riding is in warmer weather, and I want to stay cooler rather than warmer.

If you have pants, same question as above.

I am emailing back and forth with one of their service reps, and they will will be at the Chicago Show.

My priorities are fit and ventilation. I can always add fleece under a jacket in cooler weather.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

the discovery jacket is basically a 4 season jacket. The liner is a polar fleece zip in/out, Jacket is much lighter without liner and venting zippers work great. I haven't had the pioneer pants but have heard they are better then the typhoons. The typhoons I wear have held up great, they to have a zip out liner. I typically wear bicycle shorts under them when traveling....they have a passive venting but I live in Colorado and have never found them to warm when worn the way I wear them, if it cools off at night I usually zip in the liners and am just fine. hope that helps. I use camp dry to rewaterproof after washing (a can per garment), they still breathe but water beads up and I stay dry.

IRONMAN
    We were looking at the Belstaff Mercury jacket at the IMS this afternoon and the salesman claimed that all of the BMW gear is made by Belstaff and tagged for BMW. He also claimed that during the Filming of the LWR they wore the BMW gear when on camera and Belstaff gear the rest of the time. I donÔÇÖt know if either claim is true but I sure like the way the Mercury jacket fit.

Ironman

I sent you a PM.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Paulbach...

I sent you a PM.

The Discovery didn't seem very four-season for my region (TexSux in the summer=Hell on Earth), so for that reason alone I instead bought a better-vented Kilimanjaro- which is still way too much jacket for summer.

Veg

I sent you a PM.
    Last edited by ultracyclist; 01-15-2007 at 05:25 AM. Reason: typo

Sold on Belstaff after riding 30 years without good gear....

Completely agree with all statements about Bellstaff Mercury Jacket and Pioneer pants. I've had mine for over one year (40K) miles later the only complaint was the velcro closure at the collar..I put a slip catch there to keep it closed. Besides that i just zip out the liners on both for warmer weather and when it gets hot i unsip arms adn front vents along with adding my "Cool Vest" underneath. Saft and cool. When it below 30 i add Widder vest and golves along with thermal underware for my legs and double my socks. Suspenders work best for keeping the pants up. 38 waist = 2xpants, this allows for them to go over levis - if you like.

I would have paid more....

COMPLETELY WATERPROOF - major selling point for me over the Aerostich gear.

also got my jacket at the IM Show, but you can buy all from British Motorcycle Gear - on line.

I paid $225 for the Jacket and $200 something for the pants.

Ksmith57

Quote Originally Posted by willsee View Post
    I have owned and used the Bellstaff Mecury Jacket, Pioneer Pants and their other lighter weight pants and would purchase them all again. I purchased them at the local motorcycle show so could try on the gear for sizing.

Jacket: Great Jacket great value quality gear, my last jacket was Joe Rocket and this is much better for about the same price. I wear all season april to nov, minnesota, but I do wear a electric vest in fall when it is ~30 and there is no sunshine. I have not gotten wet in any rain; the longest test through rain has been 1+ hour rainstorm across South Dakota at freeway speed. Down side is the venting, two small zips in front and two small zips on back for exhaust. Jacket gets pretty hot when above 80 but that is when wearing the pants with the jacket, if you don't wear the full suit it may not be a problem. I do wear a cooling vest under when touring and that works pretty well. Another point; my jacket did not come with back armour so that was an extra purchase. I'm a 44 and have the L jacket.

Pants: I have the pioneer pants that I wear when touring. These are really pretty hot since there is no venting but then there is no water getting through. They have some sort of membrane between the full inside nylon liner and outside. They really need to be zipped to the jacket (short zipper), when walking around they will slide right off since the waist band does not have a belt to tighten up.

Pants: lighter weight, not as hot. I purchased these to wear over pants when going to and from work, they have zips up the side and are easy to get off and on. They also have the same water resistant system but are not as heavy as the Pioneer pants. Waist is elastic so they stay up when walking around.

I seem to remember when talking to the Bellstaff rep that they sold the Bellstaff name and they are now British Motorcycle Gear or something.

hope this helps.

Great news!

I emailed the Belstaff customer service department and they gave me the "800" number of their road crew who was in between motorcycle shows.

I spoke to the manager of the team after they just finished the NY show.

They will be in Chicago with 800+ jackets. I am volunteering at the MOA Booth from
    on Saturday, so this will all work out.

Paul, the Manager, went into greater detail with me about the relationship with BMW gear, etc.

Paul, the Manager, went into greater detail with me about the relationship with BMW gear, etc.
    And???

Smile hey...Veg!

I sent you a PM.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

The guy from Vermont

The fellow who sold me my Belstaff was Jerry Douglas - National Sales Manager. If he shows up in Chicago, please say hello.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.