Thread: New battery for my '84 R65

New battery for my '84 R65

I'm going to have to replace the battery in my 1984 R65, and was interested in suggestions as to the best bargain out there for my bike. Is it true that the charging system on my bike will not be good enough for a gel battery? A fellow BMW rider on a new K1200 told me that recently, and I don't know if I should take their word or not. If a sealed type is within my price range, I'd consider that kind. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks! John

Blocking the slow lane
    I've been using a Panasonic sealed battery from gotbatteries.com in my '86 R65 since last summer, and it seems to work fine. $62 shipped to my door.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Jon,

I went to the site for gotbatteries.com and found the page for sealed batteries. Under "BMW", it lists this battery (Panasonic LC-X1220P) for what they say is for "smaller and short wheelbase BMWs". Would this be the one you got for your bike? Think it would fit in the space on my '84?

Blocking the slow lane
    Yes, the 1220 is the battery we got.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Good! That sounds as good as any choice of battery to me, and I like the idea of a sealed battery this time around. I'll order one and will let you know how it works out. Thanks for your input!

Ride safe,

John