Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who has an R100CS still on the road?

Thumbs up Cs

...always thought it stood for "Cafe Sport"........
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Andy Schewietzer's book on the twin shock Airheads mentions Classic Sport.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I owned a black"84" manufactured in 83,..this was in the late 80s-thru-90s....I was told /heard? it stood for California Special?

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I owned a black"84" manufactured in 83,..this was in the late 80s-thru-90s....I was told /heard? it stood for California Special?
    Not correct, it's indeed "Classic Sport."

The paint color is called classic black (CLASSICSCHWARZ) and in Europe these bikes were available with wire wheels to further demonstrate their "classic" nature. USA dealers wouldn't go for these wheels and AFAIK all USA models had snowflakes. Maybe the first '81 versions ... .

The paint color was only exclusive to the CS in the USA, as realoem and others clearly show factory painted RS and RT fairing parts in this color.

For the 1984 model year, the label R100CS was also used for the pearl white "Last Editions."
    Last edited by lkchris; 08-27-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I have a 1983 R 100 which was the sport model as compared to the touring model listed in the BMW brochure. In 83 for the US market you could have either model R 100.Mine has the factory cafe fairing/bars etc exactly as a CS but only R100 decals. I bought it new and saw it come out of the crate in Nov 82. It now has 60k+ on it and has been a fine ride! Last year the dreaded valve recession issues caught up with it and we replaced the exhaust valves,all guides and a set of rings. I have installed the emulators.San Jose upper triple clamp,telefix fork brace and a set of Konis to address the handling issues. It has been a great all round bike and I hope to get many more years of service out of it

S/n 66188067 r100cs

R100CS S/N 6188067 was manufactured as a US Model (Included Environmental Plumbing) in November 1980. Therefore it is a 1981 Model Year Bike. I am sure it is as good as you say, because I made several trips on my 6188073 thru the Rockies to the west coast, once thru Rocky Mountain National Park. It was down on Power as it was running and almost would not restart after a brief stop at the visitor center. It still runs very well.

Let's see what contradictory comments I can get from IKCHRIS on this post (LOL). He knws everything.

Dave Good
    MOA #5559
    David L Good

DCR, MOA, RA, VMO, AMA

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Not correct, it's indeed "Classic Sport."

The paint color is called classic black (CLASSICSCHWARZ) and in Europe these bikes were available with wire wheels to further demonstrate their "classic" nature. USA dealers wouldn't go for these wheels and AFAIK all USA models had snowflakes. Maybe the first '81 versions ... .
    The paint color was only exclusive to the CS in the USA, as realoem and others clearly show factory painted RS and RT fairing parts in this color.

For the 1984 model year, the label R100CS was also used for the pearl white "Last Editions."
    i have seen many of the early 80's CS models with wire wheels. in fact, i can't recall ever seeing any with snowflakes.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

>>i have seen many of the early 80's CS models with wire wheels. in fact, i can't recall ever seeing any with snowflakes.<<

A friend, has an 82 with wires & it is painted a green met/w gold pinstripes.

Not saying it is the [only] one. But is the only one I've ever seen in that color. And it is my favorite.

Mine was black w/ Lester's, the original owner said [it] originally had wires. He just liked the alloy wheel better.

My friend with the green one has quit riding [can't stay sober ] I should ask if he'd sell??

Snowflakes vs Spokes

I have only seen one R100CS with spoke wheels owned by (as he calls himself) Phactory Phil. All the others I have seen have Snowflakes. If you see one with Spoke Wheels, do me a favor and check to see if the serial number is 6188001 thru 6188174. If it is not in that range, it might be a rest of the world model. I do not know how they were delivered.

Dave Good
    MOA #5559
    David L Good

DCR, MOA, RA, VMO, AMA

interstingly, the last one i remember seeing was at the Yankee Beemer's Euro Motorcycle Day at the Larz Anderson museum- could have easily been Phactory Phil's bike.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

jimmy armour

cs wire wheels

HI every one maybe this was mentioned somewhere , I seem to rember the CS standing for classic sport from 1981 on,the wire wheels were recalled ? or discontinued shortly after due to the shallow angle of the spokes,due to the closeness of the brembo callipers. so not being as strong,so they fitted snowflakeswhich were introduced in 1978/79hope this helps Jimmy

ok
    Last edited by arptra; 05-28-2013 at 02:29 AM.
    Alan,,
    Dallas Texas
    89GS, 08 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by arptra View Post
    I am in the market for one of these if anyone has one to sell.
    Please use the Flea Market or other outside websites to buy/sell a motorcycle. Thanks...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

maybe not
    Last edited by arptra; 05-28-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    Alan,,
    Dallas Texas
    89GS, 08 R1200GSA

1982 r100cs

r100cs.jpg
    My latest puchase! 1982 R100CS S/N 6188165. In the process of a frame detail, rebuilding carbs, brake sytem, and history confirmation.