Thread: What's your route from Chicago?

What's your route from Chicago?

Heya!
    I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago and this will be my first National. I imagine there will be a few attendees from this area and I was curious as to what routes one might choose. With all due disrespect to our lovely interstate highway system, if at all possible I'd prefer not to use the big slab.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wez

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    You taking the direct or the scenic route?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

If you are a AAA member they can route a scenic drive without slab for you. So can Mapquest or your GPS if you have one. Have fun plotting

BB . . the idea was the scenic route.

Quote Originally Posted by wezul1957
    Heya!
    I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago and this will be my first National. I imagine there will be a few attendees from this area and I was curious as to what routes one might choose. With all due disrespect to our lovely interstate highway system, if at all possible I'd prefer not to use the big slab.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wez
    Follow the lake all the way up. Of course that means having to battle your way back through the city to get to the lake ;o)

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Ya ever been to LoLo pass?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Question

I'll be coming in from the east. I'd like to take I80 into Chicago then go north. I've already been all over Michigan so I'd rather not go around the lake again. I've heard that Chicago pizza is as good as it gets. Is there a source of fabulous pie with easy access to the highway? Or a decent parking lot? A good pizza would make going into the city worthwhile...
    robert Ready to ride to eat.

Heya!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wez
    Well, that is about a 130 mile ride the shortest or fastest way - up the slabs.

I normally use an old version of Delorme Street Atlas for route planning. It will show the shortest, or fastest, or a route based on preferences. I have it set to avoid interstates, toll roads, dirt roads, and ferries.

It picked an interesting route - 198 miles - Hwy 14 out to Janesville, up 26 to 60, back east on 60 to 41, and then over on 43.

Its not a route I'd have picked off the map - but its kinda interesting and not on the slab.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Chicago Pizza! Damn fine product. All those dough boys are trained in the Big Apple

I was thinking I'd like to come in the back door, from the west. Any ideas?

Peace.

Wez

LOLO Pass

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wezul1957

Ya ever been to LoLo pass?

This is the first I have heard of it but with a little research I found some interesting information. I am not sure this is what you were referring to but interesting non the less. US12 (aka lolo pass?)

Might be worth the Wisconsin portion this summer.
    2000 K1200LT
    2001 R1150GS
    2009 KLR650