Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tail of the Dragon/Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park, TN

Perfect Example

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Here's the clip of the pocekt bikes. While I most definitely do not condone the behaviour of these goobs, I can't help but get a good hearty chuckle at the part at the end where one runs into the ditch and the guy just picks it up and keeps going.

This clip is the example of why motorists hate motorcycles and sterio type us all.

do it

Ive done the Dragon a couple times when I go down tjo see my son in the Marines in N.C. It's cool to do just to say you did it. I enjoyed many of the roads down there. Cheohala is beautiful and not as much work. I love going through the Smokeys. I remember riding in the 70's in the afternoon and being at a higher point around dusk and seeing patches of snow. Thought is was cool. Have a great ride.
    HAVNABLAST!!!!

nitzo
    JMO, but...Ride the "dragon" once to say you did it, and spend the rest of the time riding all the other, more enjoyable roads in the area. I have been going up there for years and each year the "dragon" becomes more and more of a PITA. Now, when I go to the mountains, if everyone I'm riding with has already been to the "gap", we don't even go over there. We only go there for virgins.

Nobody goes there, it's too crowded.

Thank you, Yogi Berra!
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

I found it better than most any other riding place. Week days better than weekends. Stay away from the holidays.

Here's a picture taken on a scenic overlook on the Dragon. It's a must stop place. Most of the Dragon isn't this scenic, just lots of curves.

If one makes an effort to go to the area, see as much of the Blue Ridge Parkway as possible. Cherohala Skyway just to the southeast of the Dragon doesn't suck!

Time permitting, I would recommend running all the way from Skyline Drive in Virginia, the Blue Ridge Parkway, hopping across the Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park, Foothills Parkway, then the Dragon and on down to the Cherohala Skyway. Not a bad piece of riding in that 600+ miles!

Ride Safe.
    '09 K 1300 GT

Forgot attachment.

Les @ Dragon1.jpg
    '09 K 1300 GT

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar

Shamless Plug

My Poem about riding the Dragon

The Dragon's Realm

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"

Other roads

I found that I like other roads within 100 miles of the Dragon better. They had less traffic, less cops. But I did get the t-shirt!

Becky

Quote Originally Posted by alien_hitchhiker View Post
    Living in Western North Carolina, the Dragon is pretty much in my back yard. Well, the far corner of the yard anyway. About 120 minutes away if traffic is light.

I might be spoiled (please don't hate me), but for me the appeal of the Dragon is not the road. I mean, sure, it's a nice stretch of swervery, but I know roads just as wild within a 30 mile radius of my driveway.

For me the appeal is the whole scene. The Dragon is like the nexus of motorcycle culture in the Blue Ridge. It's a round the clock rally, a road race, and a meeting place all rolled into one. Every kind of bike and every kind of rider can be found there. It is definitely worth the visit.

Come on down!

BTW, the BMW RA is holding their annual rally in Asheville, in June, with camping on the Biltmore Estate.

http://bmwra.org/rally/
    The Alien is quite right. The Dragon is a good road but it is in an area full of good roads. The problem is the Dragon is now a carnival ride. They should sell tickets and get in line. GO ahead and do it so you can say "I've done it!". Then go off and find perfect roads like NC 221.

We stay in Maggie Valley and did the loop down the dragon and back up the Cherohala parkway. In July. They were in the middle of a drought and it rained the whole day but was still a great ride. Is was about 240 miles. Maggie Valley nice. Good food and drink. Stay away from Cherokee its a real tourist trap.