Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big GIG: NYC Motorcycle Show

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Back in the day of Black and White photography Statdawg lived in Spain. His first real bike was bought at the Bultaco Factory with the help of an Angel or at least his first name was that. Stat had a Sherpa T 250 and this was the color of it. But this bike is a Pursang like the late legend Jim Pomeroy rode in Spain back in the day. He is featured in the cult film "On any Sunday". I had the pleasure of seeing him in action in the mountains north of Madrid. It is funny how one sees something old and the flood of emotions of yesterday return. This little bike turned my attention away from all the glitter of GIG to a time when life was simple and we thought we were immortal. All that gear is featured on the back wall. I just wish I still had the body that once fit into it. Amazing what that simple bike can do and back then that was "THE" bike.

The smells of Spain are so rich. I can still remember racing a Euro-cross events in a tiny towns bouncing down cobblestone streets with hay bails in the corners. Heading out of town full throttle to dirt roads, cattle paths, baby head gravel ditches, across rivers, into another town. Sometimes pushing the bike or fixing a flat along the muddy lane. The event attire consisted a white 3/4 Bell Helmet, Spanish paratrooper boots, heavy soon to wet pants, the famous thumbs up jersey with an Olive company sponsor patch, goggles, and my secret weapon. I would smoke a French perfume cigarette to annoy those behind me. Tech parts were safer with the cigarette and Steve McQueen riding was vogue. The Olive Company sponsored me because they thought it was great to have a tall American rider. It was just a regional event and fun to mingle with the Euro-cross gods.

Angel rode with me, he was the son of the Olive Merchant. He was killed in combat while doing his mandatory service to Spain. Angel was in their Foreign Legion and died fighting against Morocco in the Spanish Sahara. We thought we would be immortal once. This was a great bike too.
    This is some of the finest writing I've read here in quite some time.

Nicely done, sir and I thank you.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Bubba details the innovations and features of the new BMW Harness system to Statdawg, while the 'Dawg ponders the physical presence of a 2007 Dakkar.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Minding The Store

Which store? The MOA booth of course. Several members faithfully minded the MOA booth and secured new members. New members who signed up at the showed received a vintage tee shirt soon to become a collectors' item - the black 2004 Spokane shirt.

The MOA made donations of the shirt and an anonymnous book for the Awards Dinner. Ambassador and Board Member Friedle donated some collector reflective, one of a kind, stickers. RandallIsland won those at the Awards Dinner. Meanwhile Ambassador Ascher watched over all proceedings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SNOONE
    Hey I lost you guys somewhere. Looks like a great time was had by all. And no one was involuntarily detained..

Great meeting all you guys..

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Big Gig

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    That Victory looks like it's trying to swallow its front wheel.
    Think BMW LT after a tab of the brown acid.

It has all those loose, runny, droopy lines everywhere you look. The trees melting into the pavement look. I predict they will sell lots of them.

Friedle
    just walked in my door from Big Gig day 2, back for day 3 at 0830
    Ride fast safely

Next year, when the 2nd annual The Big GIG rolls around, I'm going to clear my schedule so I can stay for dinner, but I enjoyed having lunch and standing in line for tickets with everyone. With the roads ice free, it was certainly a lot easier getting home than getting there.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

callmethebreeze

Whew, you've escaped.....

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    Next year, when the 2nd annual The Big GIG rolls around, I'm going to clear my schedule so I can stay for dinner, but I enjoyed having lunch and standing in line for tickets with everyone. With the roads ice free, it was certainly a lot easier getting home than getting there.

Terham,
    We've called off the search. Red Rider and I covered the ground at the Javits Center grid by grid trying to locate you along with several of our wayward "comrades in moto." We feared that you had been taken by some of the dudes in the bandanna, chaps and skull rings clan and held for ransom.
    Thanks for your tremendous efforts in getting to O'Farrell's and the Show (2 1/2 hours just to get to the train is above and beyond the call.)
    As you can see, a fun time was had by all , albeit hazy in some instances ("No officer, I was not urinating on that H-D, I was merely washing it down with a mildly acidic cleaning solution using a portable low pressure device that I keep with me at all times for such instances")
    Paul and Statdawg had the SWAG covered and Tessler aced the restaurant choice. I haven't tasted authentic Sangria since running the bulls in Pamplona. We retired to a Westside watering hole for continued good cheer and a requisite "interesting experience" (that's all I'm saying on this).
    I propose another "Comrades in Moto" event soon. We don't need an excuse although bail money is recommended.

Breeze
    Last edited by Callmethebreeze; 01-21-2007 at 04:19 PM.

callmethebreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Think BMW LT after a tab of the brown acid.

It has all those loose, runny, droopy lines everywhere you look. The trees melting into the pavement look. I predict they will sell lots of them.

Friedle
    just walked in my door from Big Gig day 2, back for day 3 at 0830

Victory
    Reminded me of a krill eating whale shark ........what a nightmare. Perhaps I should call myself and talk it over.....

As per the brown acid, I recommend a B52....5mgs Haldol with 2 mgs Ativan IM Q4h prn agitation.......

Breeze

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Made for Americade

It looks like the perfect Americade ride competing with the Road Kings and other Light Trucks. Drop one of those and you will
    -have a bad Vision
    -have to call a tow truck to right it. Even Skert might not be able to get it back on two wheels.
    -will need a loan from The World Bank for repairs.

On the plus side
    -it is made in America

Quote Originally Posted by Callmethebreeze View Post
    ("No officer, I was not urinating on that H-D, I was merely washing it down with a mildly acidic cleaning solution using a portable low pressure device that I keep with me at all times for such instances")
    Hmmm. Great quote. Might become a classic.
    Marilyn Roberts
    F800R, R1150R, R100 Mystic
    Add about 1100 to my post count

SNOONE
    so did anyone buy a much needed accessory or decide on a new bike... I picked up a new helmet on Sat. to replace my schuberth that self destructed during the warm spell a couple of weeks ago.. I went with the new Shoei Multitec flip up.

Bunny bongs?
    *lmao*

Wish I had been there...

Paul and Statdawg- Great pics, thanks for the visuals.

Sorry Bubba, couldn't get yours to come thru.

Looks and sounds like a good time was had by all. Hope to make it next year, and meet you guys in WI !!

Gopheride

Talking wrabbit

wasn't that served as the main appetizer ??

Redrider

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by 44189 View Post
    wasn't that served as the main appetizer ??

Redrider
    i certainly hope not!

i have two pet buns!