Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Digital cameras

My better half just bought me a new camera this evening. Its the Canon A710IS. What a SWEET camera!!! I've been playing around with it for about two hours now, I'm still a more than a little overwhelmed. I am camera lingo challenged, and I have no clue what ISO, F-stop, etc means, but I think I'm about to learn!

Took some great shots of our dinner (mongolian grill type stuff) my kitchen, and the inside of the car. LOL

I've also been playing with my new tripod and taking some long exposure shots of the orchard and the river. Too bad its overcast and 25F out. Taking pics of the stars would be fun.

Hopefully it will be a 'no ice' day tomorrow and I after my OT shift I can hope on the R45 and get some pics of it down by the river.

yippee!!!!

Sorry, I'm just pretty jazzed. My regular camera is an 8 year old Olympus 1.3 megapixel job. Still does the job, but................

Dee
    Too damn many bikes to list

ian408
    www.dgrin.com for you!

Show us your piccies!

OscarMayer

Magnetic tank bags???

Hi:

I got a question that I've been unable to find the answer for.

Is the magnets in a magnetic tank bag harmful to a digital camera? or more specifically harmful to the memory card?

I have a Canon Rebel XT and have put off buying a tank bag out of fear of losing my pics or ruining my CF card.

Thanks.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    WOOT has an 8 megapixel camera this morning for $120. Prices are dropping like a rock. And the price of film chips is matching the drop in price.

If any of you folks ever see one of those wide angle camerss please PM me.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarMayer View Post
    Hi:

Is the magnets in a magnetic tank bag harmful to a digital camera? or more specifically harmful to the memory card?

I have a Canon Rebel XT and have put off buying a tank bag out of fear of losing my pics or ruining my CF card.

Thanks.
    I would be more worried about a sudden stop and having the heft of the Rebel come loose of the magnets and fly off the bike. I like to keep the Rebel in a givi topcase on the back of the bike. I keep a Point and Shoot in my jacket secured with a lanyard. I like the Canon A640 since it uses AA batteries. Turn off the LCD screen and you can get several hundred shots with one set of batteries.

I would still secure the magnetic bag with some kind of tether.

ian408 thanks for the dgrin.com site. It uses the same software used here. Sweet
    Click here.

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarMayer View Post
    Hi:

I've carried various digital cameras, including my Rebel XT, in my Marsee magnetic tankbag for a couple of years now. The magnet in that tank bag is HUGE. I've never had any kind of problem.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    WOOT has an 8 megapixel camera this morning for $120. Prices are dropping like a rock. And the price of film chips is matching the drop in price.

If any of you folks ever see one of those wide angle camerss please PM me.
    The ISO of this morning's woot is only 400. Still not a bad price...

Wide angle like what? My new Canon SD900 can do that stitch shot panorama thingie, and also has wide mode.

Another +1 for the Canon A710 IS. I added one of those to the fold last week.

The WOOT deal is fine for a if I loose it, I won't cry too much.

Just took a look at all the specs of the A710 IS. Definitely a winner. It uses AA batteries and has image stabilization. 6X zoom. And it is the right size to fit in jacket.

Nice piece of kit.
    Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
    www.dgrin.com for you!

Show us your piccies!

25F and overcast out. Too much frost on the roads for me to feel comfy. --sigh--

Maybe Sunday........
    Too damn many bikes to list

Nikon D200

I carry Nikon D200 with 18-200mm VR lens in a Lowepro small video camera tucked away in the saddlebag.

For Nikon photographers ... what lens(s) do you carry with you.

I did not carry my Nikon to 2006 National Rally in VT due to lack of space, but I took Canon S40 4.1 megapixel camera. It was okay, but didn't replace my dSLR.

Carry Two

Two works better. The P&S can be in the tank bag or inside the jacket. By the time you dismount and get the SLR out a great picture can be lost. Shot quickly from the saddle and then

-stop bike
    -dismount
    -take off helmet
    -take off gloves
    -get key
    -unlock bags
    -get SLR out of bag
    -remove lens cap

That used to be my routine. Now I keep the A700 at hand in front and take the quick shot first. If the scene is spectacular the eight steps above always apply. Always ride with other photographers. Only they understand the need to stop and go and stop and go. But it pays off at the when, at the end of the day there are lots of great shots to share.
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 02-06-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fix grammar
    Click here.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Always ride with other photographers. Only they understand the need to stop and go and stop and go. But it pays off at the when of the day.
    Yeah, no fooling. I'm still kicking myself for shots I missed 20 years ago.

"I'll see that again."

"Nope. I haven't."

We all could use this link

Check out this link for archiving photos.

A sample from the site:

"Image Archiving
    By Michael Schwarz

As photographers begin to accumulate huge collections of digital images, the importance of creating functional archives of the images becomes even more critical. A good image archive combines a secure and dependable method of storage along with a logical strategy of embedding metadata into the images so that the archives can be searched to allow quick location of specific images.
    "
    Click here.

Two works better. The P&S can be in the tank bag or inside the jacket. By the time you dismount and get the SLR out a great picture can be lost. Shot quickly from the saddle and then

-stop bike
    -dismount
    -take off helmet
    -take off gloves
    -get key
    -unlock bags
    -get SLR out of bag
    -remove lens cap

That used to be my routine. Now I keep the A700 at hand in front and take the quick shot first. If the scene is spectacular the eight steps above always apply. Always ride with other photographers. Only they understand the need to stop and go and stop and go. But it pays off at the when, at the end of the day there are lots of great shots to share.
    OR.... You can carry a dslr in a holster on your chest and a monopod accessible w/o dismounting and get fantastic wide shots that are difficult with a P&S.
    Rags
    04 R1150RS, 07 HD XR883R
    IBA #17225