Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital cameras

Transition

Smile Camera

I have a Casio Exilim Z60 which I am able to keep in a pocket. It takes great pictures. I feel the importent point of this camera is that it is small and I am able to take it with me.

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Now that the cameras are exposed

Now that our favorite cameras have been exposed how about the camera case? Ideally it should hold the camera security and have many, many pockets to store:

batteries
    digital chips
    batteries
    maybe a hub multiplier
    digital card reader

My nomination for meeting all of the above is the pod squad by RoadWired.

What is your favorite?

What do you store in there?
    Last edited by PAULBACH; 12-12-2006 at 01:17 AM.

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH
    Now that our favorite cameras have been exposed how about the camera case. Ideally it should hold the camera security and have many, many pockets to store:

My nomination . . . is the pod squad by RoadWired.

What is your favorite?

Paul,

That's a COOL looking bag--small, full of features, and oodles of storage; I've never seen one before. I'm all Lowepro all the time. I have a Nova 1, 2, and 5, and I just bought a slingshot 200. It will hold my

Rebel XT
    EF-S 10-22
    EF-S 17-85 IS
    EF 85 f/1.8
    EF 70-300 IS
    all hoods stored attached
    430EX speedlight
    various cords, filters, batteries, flash cards, etc.

The real benefit is that if I run out of room in the topcase, it rides comfortablly on my back. I really dig this case for traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923
    I'm all Lowepro all the time. I have a Nova 1, 2, and 5, and I just bought a slingshot 200.

The real benefit is that if I run out of room in the topcase, it rides comfortablly on my back. I really dig this case for traveling.

I have the same bag for my Olympus E-300 dSLR system and just love it. Best motorcycle SLR bag I've found. You can stop and shot from it with a quick rotation from your back - about as quick as a tank-bag camera. It even has a built-in rain cover.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

My nomination for meeting all of the above is the pod squad by RoadWired.

What is your favorite?

That is a very good looking bag!
    Greg Feeler

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Also in mix

My nephew is a pro who works with Getty.

He also recommended the Think Tank line.

That Lowepro looks great but just too large. I do have the lowepro backpack for hauling large amounts long distance.

How about suggestions for a day on the road 200 ~ 300 miles with lots of stops to take pictures.

Maybe like the trip next summer from here (near Vermont) to West Bend, WI?

SNC1923
    How about suggestions for a day on the road 200 ~ 300 miles with lots of stops to take pictures.
    If you like the backpack style, Lowepro makes a slingshot 100 as well. It's significantly smaller. They're introducing a 300 as well, but who wants to carry all that on his back?

Tamrac and Lowepro make a TON of backpacks, as does Crumpler and a bunch of other manufacturers.

And I thought...

And I thought choosing the camera was the tough part. The bag is just as hard but I have seen some great suggestions in just a few minutes.

My nephew is a pro who works with Getty.

He also recommended the Think Tank line.

That Lowepro looks great but just too large. I do have the lowepro backpack for hauling large amounts long distance.

Maybe like the trip next summer from here (near Vermont) to West Bend, WI?
    I have to correct myself: I have the Lowepro Slingshot 100 - the smallest one.

It is for 35mm film or digital SLR cameras, but for that use I would suggest taking a look at one in the flesh. It will pack into a saddle bag (or tie on the back) or you can wear it, both on and off the bike. Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion other than your tank bag for a P&S camera.
    Greg Feeler

I'm kind of a bag whore, with a couple briefcases, a few backpacks, courier bags and miscellaneous organization bags. When I went to buy a camera bag, I thought about what I really carry.

Usually, that's the DSLR, the S500, a couple spare batteries, some lens cleaning stuff and, sometimes, a longer/shorter lens. Knowing that I will fill a bag with junk faster than you can believe, I bought the smalles bag that could comfortably hold that short list and a smidge more.

I settled on a Lowe EX160. It fits in a saddlebag, could fit in my GS's tank bag and might fit in an Eclipse SportPak tankbag on the bottom. It's got a shoulder strap, so you can wear it just on your shoulder or in full cross chest.

I like it.

Greg's got a pretty sweet LowePro bag, but he carries a bunch of nice stuff with him.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    Greg's got a pretty sweet LowePro bag, but he carries a bunch of nice stuff with him.
    I have to have room for the sheep.
    Greg Feeler

Oh - P&S storage...

Before I bought the LowePro, I used to use one of these to keep the P&S in. It'll hold the S500, a battery charger and a bunch of memory cards. You can get a USB cable in there and if I had to, I could probably include a USB Hub I have that's about the size of a business card.

The large size is all of about $25. It's from Waterfield Designs at www.sfbags.com. I've got one of their Cargo bags as a briefcase. It's got a couple gazillion airline miles on it, a trip across the country and back on the RS and has seen the insides of hundreds of conference rooms. It's starting to show some small wear on the bottom from sitting on concrete, I think. Otherwise, it's still looking good, a testament to the materials used.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler
    I have to have room for the sheep.
    Doesn't she inflate?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Buy me a beer sometime and I'll tell you...

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    Doesn't she inflate?
    Oh yes!! And then packs down small for travel. Ah, but that is another story for another thread.
    Greg Feeler

Bags...

For DSLR: Tamrak Zoom 19 (fitted for long zoom to 70/300) w front carry harness
    For Filters: Tamrack filter pouch (and lens covers)
    For P&S: Tamrac digital (Fits LX1 cam & extra battery w charger & polarizer)

The Tamrac system is modular. The auxiliary bags have velcro and snap flaps. They slide into belts on the side of the Zoom 19 & secure nicely. Tested triple digits bungeed to outside of tent supply bag on rear seat.

Everything was right until I got lens envy. Now I don't know what to do with a newly acquired 100/50mm cannon. But the admin at Laguna Seca can't fence far enough away from the racers at the Motogp, Ha!