Thread: Tires?

OldBear

Tires?

probably been asked a thousand times before, but I'm a newbie. What's a truly good tire for the 650 Dakar, primarily street use with some fire trail stuff. I want good dry and wet traction on the slab and "decent" on light off road. Looking at the Pirelli Scorpian, Metzler Tourance, Michelin Anakee2 and the Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara (stock tire).

What say you??? THANKS!!

I have the original Metzeler Sahara's on my 2003 F650GS Dakar, and I am thinking about replacing with Metzeler Tourance tires. I have heard some good things about the Tourance tires for improved on-road performance. They really look like street tires, but Metzeler claims they are designed for light duty off-road, like fire roads and trails, but maybe not mud or heavy duty off-road. The Sahara's are actually fine on-road from my experience, so I am looking forward to an even smoother road ride since I am way over 90% on-road. I have seen the Tourance tires on new GS bikes in showrooms.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

OldBear
    I just got a pair of Pirelli Scorpion's mounted today-really make a world of difference in the way the bike handles. Supposed to be good off road as well-was told it was a 75-25% tire. So far so good!

I see you all ready bought tires. My only experience has been with the Metzeler Tourances, I changed to them at 10000 kms before my last years trip to Guatemala and used them for 20000 kms, at 30000kms I but on a new set before I went to Panama from Calgary and then returned with 49000 kms on the clock, I will run these tires down to the Redmond rally and burn off the last bit of tread before changing to a new pair for my august trip to Alaska.
    I really like the handling of these tires! I have not yet had a flat and have run in Jungle down pours and riden on many gravel roads with good success.

In the back of my mind I am thinking of knobbies for the Dempster but then again I have enough time to wait for good weather when I am there and the new tourances have a pretty good depth of tread, the limiting factor on the f650 for me is the low front fender plugging up with mud.
    Cal