Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ON looking for tech articles

ON looking for tech articles

Know a lot about K-bike tech?
    Plan on wrenching this winter?
    Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.

I don't know anything about K-bikes.
    Just thought I better answer all of these threads.

Technical articles

Hi Mandy,

as a fairly new member (2 yrs) I don't know what has been covered in previous years. For people interested in doing this is there a list of what has been covered available?

Has there been any inquiries as to what people would like to see covered?

For example: Changing air filters on different models, flushing cooling systems, etc...

Thanks

Roy
    Roy G.
    85 K100RT Ol Ruby "Gone but not forgotten"

02 K1200LTC Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by mandypants
    Know a lot about K-bike tech?
    Plan on wrenching this winter?
    Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.
    Hey Mandy,

Does this mean I'm getting fired?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Stuff2c
    Why? Do you really need the $$$

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves
    Hey Mandy,

That's funny!
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Hey Mandy,

Quote Originally Posted by roy
    Hi Mandy,

as a fairly new member (2 yrs) I don't know what has been covered in previous years. For people interested in doing this is there a list of what has been covered available?

Has there been any inquiries as to what people would like to see covered?

For example: Changing air filters on different models, flushing cooling systems, etc...

Thanks

Roy
    I'll make a comment here:

As a regular contributor for over ten years - the hardest part of writing my column is figuring out what to write about - what the topic should be.

So - if you have information you would like to see covered in Benchwrenching email me at paul.glaves@mindspring.com with your request. I might not get to it immediately but I will try. Some of your suggestions might not work because there are some topics I don't know enought about to do a reliable column. But ......
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

I'll make a comment here:

As a regular contributor for over ten years - the hardest part of writing my column is figuring out what to write about - what the topic should be.

So - if you have information you would like to see covered in Benchwrenching email me at paul.glaves@mindspring.com with your request. I might not get to it immediately but I will try. Some of your suggestions might not work because there are some topics I don't know enought about to do a reliable column. But ......
    But......then again, you're tech smart and write a good column. So you could possibly resource info from some folks who know and don't (for whatever reason) write their own column.
    My other bike is a BMW.

Jack,

I have been trying to get a person to write one or more articles on basic 12v electrical troubleshooting for a couple of years. This person has never been very enthusiastic about doing it.

I could do it - I am pretty good at troubleshooting 12v stuff - but my terminology and Ohms law would be all messed up in the writing.

Any takers?

I have run several articles by others in my columns over the years. Not enough, but several anyway.

Jack,

I have been trying to get a person to write one or more articles on basic 12v electrical troubleshooting for a couple of years. This person has never been very enthusiastic about doing it.

I could do it - I am pretty good at troubleshooting 12v stuff - but my terminology and Ohms law would be all messed up in the writing.

Any takers?

I have run several articles by others in my columns over the years. Not enough, but several anyway.
    A general article about electrical troubleshooting? One wouldn't know where to start.
    I'm wondering how one would write that. What to include. Would one start with a quick lesson on the basic tool(s) like a multimeter? What it measured? How you would check resistances of wiring connections and circuits? Checking voltages and how to measure current (without blowing out the internal fuse in the meter...)? Then maybe a general description of the color codes and terminal numbers that BMW and Bosch use on wires and relays. What the colors denote (usually) and what the numbers on relay terminals generally mean? How to read a BMW schematic. Maybe a sample common problem and how you would logically trace the location of a fault in the circuit. And everything's not a short. Opens cause trouble too.
    One wouldn't know where to stop, now that I think about it.
    My other bike is a BMW.

Where to start, where to stop?

Well - probably what is DC current. Battery +, wire, switch, load.

So - your tail light won't work. How to test using a test lamp. VOM.

Continuity - what does that mean. Testing with an Ohmeter.

Structure is the key but it needs to be done.

I get more questions regarding this than anything else except maybe final drive bearings

Hey Mandy,

Sweet Baby James, NO! We couldn't go without Benchwrenching - it's a favorite of many folks (including me!). We're not looking for new columnists. The general consensus has been that we need more basic "how-to" type articles. I figured that lots of members would be putting their bikes in the garage for the winter and tinkering with them, so it would be the perfect time for them to record what they've done and share it with other people.

You, Paul, are irreplaceable!

tonkandy
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack
    Would one start with a quick lesson on the basic tool(s) like a multimeter? What it measured? How you would check resistances of wiring connections and circuits? Checking voltages and how to measure current (without blowing out the internal fuse in the meter...)? .................
    One wouldn't know where to stop, now that I think about it.
    Some of us could use a lesson like that, and you'd seem to be a good candidate for the bloke to write it.

If you would include a section on how to dance the Polka, and distribute it before this years New Glarus trip, that would be perfect.

mrich12000

Tech Articles

Originally Posted by PGlaves
    Hey Mandy,

You all have heled me with my love, and she is my bike.
    I allways look forword to the knowlege that I see from the members on this great forum.

Happy New Year to All
    Michael Richard Oshawa, Ontario

And if I can help I will try.

and I don't think your fired