Thread: ON looking for tech articles

Hybrid View

ON looking for tech articles

Know a lot about K-bike tech?
    Plan on wrenching this winter?
    Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.
    2007 F800S (Bella)

I don't know anything about K-bikes.
    Just thought I better answer all of these threads.

Technical articles

Hi Mandy,

as a fairly new member (2 yrs) I don't know what has been covered in previous years. For people interested in doing this is there a list of what has been covered available?

Has there been any inquiries as to what people would like to see covered?

For example: Changing air filters on different models, flushing cooling systems, etc...

Thanks

Roy
    Roy G.
    85 K100RT Ol Ruby "Gone but not forgotten"

02 K1200LTC Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by roy
    Hi Mandy,

as a fairly new member (2 yrs) I don't know what has been covered in previous years. For people interested in doing this is there a list of what has been covered available?

Has there been any inquiries as to what people would like to see covered?

For example: Changing air filters on different models, flushing cooling systems, etc...

Thanks

Roy
    I'll make a comment here:

As a regular contributor for over ten years - the hardest part of writing my column is figuring out what to write about - what the topic should be.

So - if you have information you would like to see covered in Benchwrenching email me at paul.glaves@mindspring.com with your request. I might not get to it immediately but I will try. Some of your suggestions might not work because there are some topics I don't know enought about to do a reliable column. But ......
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves

As a regular contributor for over ten years - the hardest part of writing my column is figuring out what to write about - what the topic should be.

So - if you have information you would like to see covered in Benchwrenching email me at paul.glaves@mindspring.com with your request. I might not get to it immediately but I will try. Some of your suggestions might not work because there are some topics I don't know enought about to do a reliable column. But ......
    But......then again, you're tech smart and write a good column. So you could possibly resource info from some folks who know and don't (for whatever reason) write their own column.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Jack,

I have been trying to get a person to write one or more articles on basic 12v electrical troubleshooting for a couple of years. This person has never been very enthusiastic about doing it.

I could do it - I am pretty good at troubleshooting 12v stuff - but my terminology and Ohms law would be all messed up in the writing.

Any takers?

I have run several articles by others in my columns over the years. Not enough, but several anyway.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

what to write about

How about getting some of the many aftermarket doo dad people to write a few articles on how to install their product on the bike. I read somewhere the average rider spends an additional $2,000 on accessories within the first year. I for one have bought hard cases, a trunk, several wind screens, additional lights, and the list goes on. I usually have to scour the few good websites devoted to our cause for creditable advise. It would be nice to have an article or too on the stuff we can get for our bikes.
    Just a thought -
    PS - any info on BLUETOOTH helmets from NOLAN?????? That looked really cool..... no more wires......

Gmac

74' R90/6
    04' K1200RS
    '74 R90/6
    '04 K1200RS
    '08 Burgman 650

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

Hi Paul,

Could you do an article on replacing cam chain tensioner on the 2 valve K100's.
    Avrom Brown
    Toronto, Ontario
    1987 K100 RS
    2008 KLR 650

Quote Originally Posted by mandypants
    Know a lot about K-bike tech?
    Plan on wrenching this winter?
    Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.
    Hey Mandy,

Does this mean I'm getting fired?

I Shoulda been a Cowboy Stuff2c's Avatar
    Central florduh, with a million tourists on the road like a scattered ant bedYehaw!
    Why? Do you really need the $$$
    Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.
    -- Charles Kuralt
    MOA membership expires 07/09

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Hey Mandy,

That's funny!
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Hey Mandy,

scott conary - BMW... err...umm... bikes are dangerous
    portland, oregon
    www.scottconary.com | new paintings

Hey Mandy,

Sweet Baby James, NO! We couldn't go without Benchwrenching - it's a favorite of many folks (including me!). We're not looking for new columnists. The general consensus has been that we need more basic "how-to" type articles. I figured that lots of members would be putting their bikes in the garage for the winter and tinkering with them, so it would be the perfect time for them to record what they've done and share it with other people.

You, Paul, are irreplaceable!
    2007 F800S (Bella)