Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is the best winter riding pants?

Thumbs up Olympia Ranger pants

Quote Originally Posted by peaceablemike
    Does anyone have experience with the Olympia Ranger 2 Overpants? I'm wondering how they compare in warmth/quality to the Firstgear HT 2.0.
    -Mike
    I have the Olympia ranger pants. I haven't used with them in the rain so I can't say if they are waterproof. They are warm. At 40 deg F. (like today) I don't even need the liner when worn over jeans. for comparison-I commute on the interstate, 70-80 mph, on an F650. Below 40 I will put the liner in. I've used them as low as 27 F. for about 45 minutes. Any longer and I might want to wear duofolds under the jeans. The velcro over the zippers can be a little bit of a pain but I guess thats what it takes to be waterproof. I do wish that the liners zipped to the pants so that I wouldn't have to use 2 zippers + velcro to get them on/off.

HODAG
    darian pants with suspenders, flannel lined jeans and long undies underneath, good till around freezing

Knary... I fixed my zipper pulls , replaced them with paper clips then wrap them in tape. works great

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by RatSnake
    Anyone had any experience with Belstaff's Pioneer Pants. I've heard that they appear to be well made with lots of features.

i love mine, well made and very warm/waterproof. the only issue i've had is a broken fly, but there is velcro there as well so i never bothered fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodag
    darian pants with suspenders, flannel lined jeans and long undies underneath, good till around freezing

Knary... I fixed my zipper pulls , replaced them with paper clips then wrap them in tape. works great
    It might work great, but considering the price of these ballistic plastic tarps shaped liked pants, it's inexcusable that paper clips with wrapped with tape would be needed. MHO. When Aerostich realizes that we're no longer in the late 80's, I'll give them some of my money again.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
    i love mine, well made and very warm/waterproof. the only issue i've had is a broken fly, but there is velcro there as well so i never bothered fixing it.
    How old were they when the fly broke? I've had more than one problem with First Gear zippers, and I don't want the same issues with any new pants I buy.
    RatSnake
    Dennis Murphy
    Third Lake, IL
    2013 R1200GS BMWMOA, IBMWR, AMA Rounder #43

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    The warmest I have are the BMW Tourgard pants. Mostly because the material is wind proof and most cordura is not. The BMW pants come with extra snaps and zipper pulls in case you ever need them. I haven't so far. They also have comprensive kits of extra hardware for their stuff.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by RatSnake
    How old were they when the fly broke? I've had more than one problem with First Gear zippers, and I don't want the same issues with any new pants I buy.
    I have a pair of HT Overpants, too. The fly zipper broke on them this summer, only the secind season I have worn them. If I am very careful, the velcro will keep the rain out. THey are very warm in the colder temps. I have worn them down in the 20's with just blue jeans underneath.

Even with the liner out, they are too warm above 80 degrees.
    Godzilla!
    '85 K100 "ZoomZoomZoom"
    '71 R75/5 "Zippy"

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    I have a pair of HT Overpants, too. The fly zipper broke on them this summer, only the secind season I have worn them. If I am very careful, the velcro will keep the rain out. THey are very warm in the colder temps. I have worn them down in the 20's with just blue jeans underneath.

Even with the liner out, they are too warm above 80 degrees.
    My HT pants have held up through two seasons so far; and when it gets cold, I wear them to work every day. That's to work, out to lunch, back from lunch, and then home... so a lot of off and on. No zipper failures, so far.

You're correct about being too hot in the 80's. They are too hot if it's in the 70's and humid, too. For the warmer weather, I have a pair of the HT Air overpants; the vented ones. They are a little shorter/tighter than their cold weather counterparts, but otherwise comfortable in the heat. I wore those all summer.

The only other complaint I have for my HT Overpants is they don't (or didn't) come in Tall size, even though the Kilmanjaro jacket does. So they ride high on my boots. I am 6'4", by the way...
    Godzilla!
    '85 K100 "ZoomZoomZoom"
    '71 R75/5 "Zippy"

Oaktree
    My Cycloak pants lasted about 70,000 miles over 4 years of daily wear in SoCal. In January and Feb, some mornings could be below freezing, but never below zero.

The zipper pulls broke on both sides eventually; I used a spiral keyring to replace each zipper pull -- worked great, and I could grab them with gloves on.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    HyperTex Overpants have been working very well for me. I have tested them down to 19F and been happy in them. In terms of zippers, I have no idea how you guys are breaking them, I have not had any problems.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride