Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Waterproof Boots

My wife has a pair of Alpinestar Goretex boots that work for her real well and I bought a pair of Rev'it Nemo boots that are real comfortable and fine in the heat yet waterproof. Oh and they make for a nice comfortable walk around in boot too.

Good Boots

I have had a lot of boots in my time, but never an overpriced pair. The present pair I am using came from a mail order catalog called Sportsman's Guide, these were listed as motorcycle boots. They are slightly bulky but very comfortable and very dry, I don't know what they are made of but they don't leak and I can wear them all day without discomfort, on or off the bike. Did I mention they were 69 bucks.

Gene T

Warren_H
    Have a pair of Cruiserworks (Men's Tour) no leaks ever. I wanted boots with more protection bought the BMW Pro Touring boots they've kept my feet dry in moderate rain and 15 miles of a major downpour. Stiff but flexible in the right places.

Everyone always has their preference for all things motorcycle (and other activities) but I find it interesting that while waterproofness, comfort and heat build-up are discussed here, and of concern, not much is mentioned as far as protection. Boots are a basic piece of your protective riding gear and I've followed and looked at many of the boots mentioned here and almost ALL are lacking a very simple piece of protection: an ankle guard. BMW stopped putting a metal ankle plate in their boots 2 years ago. Most of the others mentioned here (Revit, Alpinestars (some models), etc) lack this protection too. Boots, IMO, should have a shin guard, ankle guard, and naturally a tough hyde to protect your foot. I was involved in an accident 2 years ago (which is how I know BMW stopped using ankle guards around that time, because I was wearing a BMW boot and sought to replace it with same) and the bike came down on, and ground my right foot into the pavement. I came away with a lot of soft tissue damage, but not a single broken bone - to the amazement of the ER docs, and myself - I was sure my foot was oatmeal, judging by the pain. I am convinced the ankle guard prevented a fracture of the ankle (much damage to the boot occured in this area) and will not buy anything without that guard.

So spend your $69 on a pair of discount boots, that are waterproof, and perhaps cool... but I sure hope you don't ever actually have to count on them for protection...
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '96 K1100LTA 'Dusty'
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Here is what I wear, purchased from US Calvary. They are waterproof and I wear them all day at work, which requires alot of walking around. The only complaint is the left lace keeps breaking from shifting. For cold weather, I wear some heavy wool socks. They give good ankle support, too. If they's good enough for the US Army, they's good enough for me.

I've worn 'em on several long trips in heavy rain and my feet stayed warm and dry.
    Godzilla!
    '85 K100 "ZoomZoomZoom"
    '71 R75/5 "Zippy"

Just in Case

Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown
    Everyone always has their preference for all things motorcycle (and other activities) but I find it interesting that while waterproofness, comfort and heat build-up are discussed here, and of concern, not much is mentioned as far as protection. Boots are a basic piece of your protective riding gear and I've followed and looked at many of the boots mentioned here and almost ALL are lacking a very simple piece of protection: an ankle guard. BMW stopped putting a metal ankle plate in their boots 2 years ago. Most of the others mentioned here (Revit, Alpinestars (some models), etc) lack this protection too. Boots, IMO, should have a shin guard, ankle guard, and naturally a tough hyde to protect your foot. I was involved in an accident 2 years ago (which is how I know BMW stopped using ankle guards around that time, because I was wearing a BMW boot and sought to replace it with same) and the bike came down on, and ground my right foot into the pavement. I came away with a lot of soft tissue damage, but not a single broken bone - to the amazement of the ER docs, and myself - I was sure my foot was oatmeal, judging by the pain. I am convinced the ankle guard prevented a fracture of the ankle (much damage to the boot occured in this area) and will not buy anything without that guard.

So spend your $69 on a pair of discount boots, that are waterproof, and perhaps cool... but I sure hope you don't ever actually have to count on them for protection...
    Well John a new catalog came today, they now have a suit of metal armor just like the old Knights wore, just in case you are interested.............Sorry I could not resist that

Gene T

+1 for the Sidi Sympatex boots. I have only had mine for a year but am very happy with fit, comfort and not a drop of water inside after quite a few rain storms.

mrich12000

Question Boots for the Hard butt riding in Canada

Does anyone know where to buy Danner Striker GTX boots in the Toronto area, or the comprable style that won't banckrupt me. thanks

Mike Rich

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT
    Well John a new catalog came today, they now have a suit of metal armor just like the old Knights wore, just in case you are interested.............Sorry I could not resist that
    Sadly those are neither light, cool, or comfortable...
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '96 K1100LTA 'Dusty'
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown
    BMW stopped putting a metal ankle plate in their boots 2 years ago. Most of the others mentioned here (Revit, Alpinestars (some models), etc) lack this protection too. Boots, IMO, should have a shin guard, ankle guard, and naturally a tough hyde to protect your foot. .
    The BMW Transition boots have a pretty good cage around them. An exoskeleton sort of. I found them pretty clunky to walk around in but another guy at the shop says it just takes some breaking in. I noticed that the hinge sqeeks a bit. He oils it or something. I bought the BMW Pro Touring boots (new) and they have a stiff something at the ankles and a stiff shin guard. I don't know if they are steel or what. But seem pretty good.

I hope good enough for us K bike riders. But not as good as a couple of cyl heads sticking out there. They spared my ankle more than once on an icy road.

Incidentally, this fellow also says that the BMW riding apparel is the best on the market. Something about the coating on and the weight of the threads, etc. and the armor is a hands down winner compared to other manufacturers. I find this interesting since we usually talk about rain and wind and not too much about the knee, hip, elbow, shoulder, and back armor. The newest BMW back armor wraps around to the kidneys now. All that stuff.
    I have no answer to questions about the price except to say that the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider and how much surgery can you get for $1500. So, as you can see, I'm not the smoothest salesman, except by example, by Viki and I wearing it ourselves.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack
    and how much surgery can you get for $1500. So, as you can see, I'm not the smoothest salesman, except by example, by Viki and I wearing it ourselves.

Wow that is a pretty good way of looking at it cjack...not much medical help at all for that price as I have learned.