Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter Gloves?

Question Winter Gloves?

My needs seem simple enough. I've been searching for the ideal pair of winter (California winters) gloves but have yet to find them.

I'm looking for waterproof, warm (cold in these parts is 40 degrees), and not the size of oven mitts.

Recommendations?

Thanks.
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    BMWMOA #107071/IBA #44006
    El Cerrito, CA

I wear a pair of glove liners under my Helds and they work pretty well. I have Held Steves.

dave
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

The Steves look really comfortable and I'm sure they're warm with liners but I don't think they're waterproof. What do you do in rain?

Originally posted by KBasa
    I wear a pair of glove liners under my Helds and they work pretty well. I have Held Steves.

dave
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    El Cerrito, CA

Originally posted by Calnalu
    The Steves look really comfortable and I'm sure they're warm with liners but I don't think they're waterproof. What do you do in rain?
    Ride in Rain?

I use this:
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Held Steve's what, you pervert
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I knew THAT response was coming!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KBasa
    Ride in Rain?

I use this: [insert wimpy cage picture here]
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    El Cerrito, CA

I have a pair of Olympia winter gloves. Waterproof, insulated, good fit, gauntlet way past my wrist, lots of Kevlar. Big honkin' Darth Vader-lookin' things. They didn't cost much, maybe 80 bucks, but might be too warm for you in CA- I almost never wear them above 40 degrees unless it's really raining hard.
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

CustomSarge

Thumbs up

I'll concur with lancew: the Olympias' are a good answer at about $80. I also run a cheap leather pair that I ScotchGarded (available at any swap meet). In COLD (40-50F) I run BMW ($!!) types that felt like Michlin Man until I opened the thumb seam & pulled all but 1 layer of insulation from the palm side. Better feel & less hand cramping. IMHO waterproofing is more a matter of treatment than using as purchased.

WILHELMGGW

Question Real Cold

What about glove recommendations for what we might call "real cold" -- like we have in IL? Is there any good winter glove with a thinner palm, so I can get through some of the heat from my heated grips?

Have you thought about electric gloves? I just rode about 45 minutes in 22 degree cold. I know that I'm ready to purchase a pair for the IN weather. It's funny, because after buying my electric jacket liner a month ago, I've become a complete wuss about riding in the cold.

How about MARSEE?

I got a gift cert for some off MARSEE products and might order a pair.

MarkF

The Olympias provide protection from the elements with a decent amount of feel. (You can feel the heated grips on the low setting) The materials and workmanship are good value for the price. It has been sub-40 weather here lately and these gloves seem to get the job done.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I've got a set of gloves that I use primarily for blowing snow (no, not THAT kind), that are waterproof and warm. They're from Stearns, the same company that makes various vests for fishing. They are, in actuality, ice-fishing gloves, made of neoprene, with a semi-gauntlet wrist. If memory serves (it is said the first thing to go is the memory, and I forget what comes after that), they were only about $10-$15 at Wally-world. I have seen them at Gander Mountain and Cabela's also. Not necessarily riding gloves, but it's an idea.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Originally posted by lancew
    I have a pair of Olympia winter gloves. Waterproof, insulated, good fit, gauntlet way past my wrist, lots of Kevlar. Big honkin' Darth Vader-lookin' things. They didn't cost much, maybe 80 bucks, but might be too warm for you in CA- I almost never wear them above 40 degrees unless it's really raining hard.
    Which Olympias are these? I looked on a few websites and didn't see any cold weather gloves with Kevlar. I'm looking for something for COLD weather (20* F or so) that has some get-off protection. I DON'T have heated grips.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

I think they are the "Ultima I" glove- check .here . I found the sizing a little off- my normal size seemed a bit snug, but not uncomfortably so. You may want to find a dealer that carries them and go try them on to be sure.

It was sunny and 38 degrees here yesterday morning when I left for a ride and I never turned my grips on, although it was all in-town riding with no interstate miles

On edit- link should work now or search on "Olympia Ultima"
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?