Thread: Leather or vinyl Rick Mayer seat

Harrington

Leather or vinyl Rick Mayer seat

I can't make up my mind over which seat to get. Leather seems good but it may be more maintenance than I want.

Oops..I screwed up. I wanted to add a poll but I hit submit first.

Options

All Leather
    All vinyl
    Leather top with vinyl sides.

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    I have leather, I like leather, I care for my leather Bill Mayer saddle, but I wear textile clothing and can't tell that I have a leather seat.

If you ride with leather pants, blue jeans or cotton pants, you will notice leather. If you ride ATGATT, you may not ever feel the difference. JMHO

I have no problem with it getting wet and it cleans up nicely.

HTH

Doc
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

I have a vinyl Rick Mayer saddle and have had leather in the past. I can't tell the difference from a comfort standpoint.
    2013 R1200GS

We struggled with this question too. I went with the vinyl basket weave so that it still has breathability. (is that a word???)

Love it!

Harrington
    Thanks people

It depends on what kind of pants you are wearing. Vinyl seat goes best with Aerostich or synthetic suit. Ask Rick he will tell you. I chose vinyl because I live in a very rainy area and I wear a 'stich.

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rm...erorvinyl.html
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Too much rain around here for me to consider leather.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Harrington
    Thanks again.

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    I've owned two of Rick's saddles (2 different bikes) - both leather. I've also used Corbin & Sargent vinyl covered saddles.

I love leather - until it gets wet. Once it's wet it is miserable.

On my RT it never gets wet while the bike is moving - it only happens if I leave the bike standing in the rain with the saddle uncovered.

I clean it 3 - 4 times a year with saddle soap followed by a generous coat of mink oil. I use a blow dryer to warm the leather & melt the mink oil.

My next saddle will probably be vinyl basket weave with minimal seams - maybe a Bill Mayer.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Quote Originally Posted by alien_hitchhiker
    I clean it 3 - 4 times a year with saddle soap followed by a generous coat of mink oil. I use a blow dryer to warm the leather & melt the mink oil.
    Going back to my riding days (horse, that is...) here's a trick I used for cleaning and oiling my tack. Pour a little oil (or even Lexol) in a dish and microwave for 30 seconds. Your leather will love you!

Tracy

Wet weather isn't the only kind to think about. If your seat gets a lot of sun-exposure (as in parked in direct hot sun for long periods) leather might not be as good a choice. I have a vinyl Rick Mayer and I have no regrets about choosing the vinyl.
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

The love of money

I love my RM saddle. For the money vinyl is the way to go. No worries mate. Just the seat of comfort.

I just finished a 3500 mile ride on a new (to me) GS that has a new Sargent seat. It ain't no Mayer or Russell ( which I have on my RT). Ouch.A new seat from Russell or the Mayers is top priority.
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

seat

I thing of buying a rick seat is that good of a seat or should I be looking else where for the seat

leather will breath and is way better. Vinyl will cause hotspots and discomfort.
    I rode across Washington in 111 degree heat on vinyl LT seats. I got an Alaska leather sheepskin ordered when I returned. Sheepskin covers look like ****, but definetely needed for a vinyl seat.
    Leather is the only way to go..!!

Hbar
    IBA
    BMWMOA