Thread: GPS & MS Maps and Streets

GPS & MS Maps and Streets

I have been trying to connect my BMW Navigator III to my computer to download routes from Microsoft Streets and Maps. The program tells me that there is no GPS configured. I am using a USB cable to connect to the computer. This is the latest Garmin GPS so I am guessing that it is possible to connect to Streets and Maps. Anyone ever done this and can shed some light? I would appreciate it! With what that GPS costs I would thing it should also do routine maintenance and wash dishes!
    Ride Safe!
    Curtis "Kurt" Nugent
    1985 BMW R80RT (Heidi)
    2006 BMW R1200GS (Brunhilde)
    BMWMOA #28698, BMWRA #23815,
    ABC #3488, AMA #657795

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Actually one can not transfer maps or routes from Microsoft Streets and Trips to a Garmin. And only some Garmins will communicate with Streets and Trips, the purpose of this feature is to allow the map to scroll as you go; or to find nearby places. There are some utilities out there that do the translation, but at the moment I can not find them, however some other tools you might find helpful are

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
    http://chris.pirillo.com/2005/01/14/streets-trips/

What works for me is to just redraw the route in MapSource or to use Delorme Street Atlas which talks with a GPS better in my humble opinion.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    If the interface cable connecting to the Garmin is not a USB cable and you had to get a USB adapter you need to download the rs232 to usb adapter file first. We have a Garmin Legend and that was the key to getting the Garmin to talk to the PC.

The Garmin came with a rs232 style cable, similar to the plug you would see on the back of the sound card and has 9 pins. There is an adeapter cable that changes the rs232 to a USB style that you can plug into the computer. Unfortunately even in win XP the cable adapter is not recognized until you get the subprogram to allow the pc to "see" the cable and GPS.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Sounds like a job for GPS Utility.

Google it up as I don't have a link handy.

HTH,

Best,

Rob Nye

GPS Utility Googled

I did Google it, Rob and I'm hooked. Never could resist new software.
    http://www.gpsu.co.uk/
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Great tip

Just got the 2007 version of Streets and Trips. It is an amazing piece of software and under $25. Glad to know I can communicate with my Garmin Navigator.

Great Tip
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn

What works for me is to just redraw the route in MapSource or to use Delorme Street Atlas which talks with a GPS better in my humble opinion.
    So Delorme works with the NavIII? I'm using Delorme with my Treo but I want a bigger screen and more function.
    StLouisDon
    Of all the things I've lost...I miss my mind the most

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I do not have a Nav III, but I was able to get DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2006 to communicate and work with my GPS V and my 2610. I have both versions, the handheld and the desktop, I have not tried the handheld software with the GPS's.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Thanks, most helpful. I'm running 06 also.
    StLouisDon
    Of all the things I've lost...I miss my mind the most