Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rt 2 to Spokane

REBECCAV

Wow.

CABNFVR, your pic is incredible. If you're not on the board of tourism or visitor's bureau, you should be.

Unregistered
    I plan on riding that route and hitting Glacier National Park and have also been told to hit Rider's Wearhouse.

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I plan on riding that route and hitting Glacier National Park and have also been told to hit Rider's Wearhouse.
    I don't know where you're starting from but let me make a suggestion for anyone coming from upstate NY or even New England. A big obstacle heading west from here is lake Michigan. If you go around the south end you have to deal with traffic in Chicago. Head north and you have to ride across the Makinac bridge. (I know, thousands of bikes cross that bridge every year but I got white knuckles driving my car over that thing!)

If you can, enter Canada near Niagara Falls then head North from Hamilton. Take the ferry across the mouth of Georgian Bay in Lake Huron. It leaves at 7:00 AM from Tobermory at the tip of Bruce Peninsula. It's about an hour and a half ride and a good breakfast can be had in the Cafeteria on board. After the ferry ride, you'll be rewarded with a beautiful ride on Rt. 6 across Manitoulin Island. Once back on the mainland, start heading west on 17, another scenic route along the North Channel. It may not be the most direct route but it's a pretty ride. I went that way 3 years ago and can't wait to do it again. Cross back into the US in Sault Ste. Marie, pick up Rt. 28 in the UP of Mich. and follow it to Rte. 2...Then just keep heading west!! Or, as Josh suggested, stay in Canada to cross the continent.

If this sounds interesting to you, be aware that Tobermory is a small town and often times gets booked up in the summer. I've aready made reservations at the Harbourside Motel for Friday, July 9th. That way I'll be ready to line up Saturday AM and have 5 days to hit Glacier and Lolo pass on my way to Spokane. The ferry also takes reservations and there are only so many Motorcycle spots...complete with rope and brackets on the floor to tie your bike down just in case. Maybe I'll see you in line!

JIM....Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping to hit Devil's Tower on the way home.

Grant
    Rochester, NY
    Last edited by grant; 12-24-2003 at 04:57 AM.

Re: SS BADGER ACROSS LAKE MICHIGAN

Originally posted by SlashFiveTourer
    If you're heading from anywhere East, don't forget about the ferry operating across Lake Michigan between LUDINGTON, Michigan and MANITOWOC, Wisconsin....

....gotta make the pilgrimage to The Tower at least once in your life. Been there a couple of times and I keep hearing the movie theme rattling through my helmet 'til well after I leave the place!

I've looked into that ferry also. The only problem for me was the timing. It's a long trip and would eat up a good portion of the day. Someday, I hope to ride out that way then take the ferry in the evening and wake up in Wisconsin. From Rochester, that's probably a trip I'll take on my way to a race at Road America (another thing on my to do list!).

As for Devils Tower.....Please tell me they don't have loud speakers around there pumping out that movie theme!!

Grant
    Rochester
    Last edited by grant; 12-24-2003 at 06:25 PM.

REBECCAV
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    I've been keeping notes from this thread on routes and attractions, and the list is already too long (just added Devil's Tower), but what/where is Rider's Wearhouse?

Rider's Wear House

Located in Duluth.

Timing and planning are everything on a ride west. I live on the Illinois/Indiana state line so after work I head west, try and make Des Moines by 9 or 10. Then leave the next morning at 4 or shortly after to beat the heat. You can make Sturgis easy the next evening. Whispering Pines camp ground is BMW friendly and very inexpensive. Mount Rushmore, do it at night, good light show and the ride back in the mountains is ride you'll never forget. Lead, Sturgis BMW, Sturgis getting ready for Sturgis and Needles highway are very good. I'd se aside a day and two nights. The scenic route to Devil's Tower is WY 24 thru Hulett. Bikers will be arriving in Hulett by the time Nationals are over. Super slab up to Sheridan where civilization ends. Cross over to Cody by way of Granite pass, time to watch out for varmits.

BMWRT will be having their Unrally in Cody. You can check out www.bmwrt.com for details. There will be nothing short of great roads until you leave the Rockies headed home. National Parks, save some money and get a season pass. Cody to Spokane is a good days ride. If you can work Lolo Pass in, do it. I started Lolo pass from west to east at Kooskia. The front tire on my RT was just starting to touch the tread wear indicator. Perfect traction, about 70 miles later I stopped in Moose Drool, Montana for a coke and looked at my front tire, it was bald! The roads are much more abrasive out there. Fortunately Big Sky BMW at Missoula was open on a Monday and I got a new tire.

Me, I'm headed to the best rally in the world first Top of the Rockies, carve all the Canyons in Colorado, then spend the next three daze finding every curve and pass to Spokane. Leave Sunday morning depending on work either take a day or two to get to Rabid City, SD. Then do an Iron Butt crossing the prairie.

Plan everything for a perfect ride and the weather can force some serious changes. JON

Originally posted by boxergrrlie
    I've been keeping notes from this thread on routes and attractions, and the list is already too long (just added Devil's Tower), but what/where is Rider's Wearhouse?
    It's where Aerostichs, the uniform of the BMW rider, come from.

Thanks, Timberwoof
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Devil's Tower camping

If you camp, there is a small campground run by the National Park there. Check here for information: http://classic.mountainzone.com/nationalparks/deto/

There is nothing quite like crawling out in the early morning, and facing Devil's Tower from there.

The Tower is an easy walk around, and you can do a little climbing if you like.

Jim

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    The Tower is a great place to go. When I lived in rapid City, we would drive out there with a telescope and watch climbers. A destination well worth stopping by.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Question As long as we're on the subject...

I was thinking on the return trip I would take I90 all the way to the Little Bighorn battlefield then pick up rt. 212, follow it east through Custer Nat'l. Forest to Alzada, then head south on rt 112 and approach Devils Tower from the North. Has anyone else had any experience on these roads? Once again, any input (positive or negative) will be appreciated

Grant

Alzada tales

Grant - I ended up with two combines and two weeks on my hands in Alzada 25 years ago. No kidding, it wasn't unusual to see horses tied up at the bars in the evenings. There were two bars, one on each end of town, about a half mile apart. We travelled all over the local geography looking for something to cut. Wheat, flax, barley, oats in little 50 to 200 acre patches out in the middle of nowhere. Drove 212 to South Dakota and the nearest grain elevator. In those days, locals proudly displayed a bumper sticker that read "I survived 212". The road south to Devils Tower was dirt at the time, went right by a Bentonite Mine, a greasy white clay like dirt that's used for keeping Hershey bars together. Made the roads real interesting when it rained.

Watch out for the cattle/sheep dogs. If you see one sitting in the road, stop and wait. There will be a herd of something coming over the rise in a little while.
    BigG
    '95 1100 GS
    Boulder,CO
    ----------

''..nine mile skid on a ten mile ride" J. Garcia

Re: Alzada tales

Originally posted by GregInBoulder
    .... locals proudly displayed a bumper sticker that read "I survived 212". The road south to Devils Tower was dirt at the time, went right by a Bentonite Mine, a greasy white clay like dirt that's used for keeping Hershey bars together. Made the roads real interesting when it rained.
    Hmmmm........sounds like I might want to come up with a new plan. According to my map the route south is now paved but that Bentonite stuff sounds like it might make those roads a little hairy anyway. Thanks for the warning!

Grant
    Rochester, NY

Grant, rereading my post it sounded more negative than I meant it to. That corner of Montana is actually pretty nice and is probably a lot less wild now than it was back then. For all I know the mine might have closed. Not sure how to find that out unless you just go check and that's part of the fun of being on the road. I do know there's a boat load of HD riders going east that drive 212 to Sturgis. We probably hauled 10 of em in two weeks to Belle Fouche after they broke down
    BigG
    '95 1100 GS
    Boulder,CO
    ----------

''..nine mile skid on a ten mile ride" J. Garcia

212 in Montana

Originally posted by GregInBoulder
    .... there's a boat load of HD riders going east that drive 212 to Sturgis...
    Ok Greg...Now I've got to take 212! I can't let myself be intimidated by a road that Harley riders can handle. Unless someone has a better suggestion. It still seems like the best bet on my map.

Grant
    Rochester, NY

Unregistered
    Could someone comment on Rt 2 west of Spokane? I'm planning a loop that would include that stretch either coming or going from central California.