Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: boots

mikel

boots

Any suggestions on a good pair of riding boots?? I ride everyday--regardless of the weather, so I need something warm and waterproof. There are so many out there, it would be nice to get some actual advice. I ride a R1200CL. Thanks!!!

RIDERR1150GSADV

Cool

Welcome to the Board!
    I like my Oxtar boots as they have a Gore-tex liner in them.
    You can also get the BMW boots but it depends on how much you want to spend. Some BMW dealers sell Oxtar boots too.
    Good luck !

Originally posted by rider1150RT
    Welcome to the Board!
    I like my Oxtar boots as they have a Gore-tex liner in them.
    You can also get the BMW boots but it depends on how much you want to spend. Some BMW dealers sell Oxtar boots too.
    Good luck !
    I'd vote for the Oxtars. You can find them for under $200. Though, I haven't used them, some friends have and are Very pleased.

I've got the BMW gortex boots. They've worked well, but I'll be getting something cheaper this time around.

I have a pair of Gaerne boots that I bought off of ebay about 4 years ago. They are just your standard leather boots, but they have been absolutely waterproof since I got them. I haven't ever seen a pair for sale in the U.S. , but when I went to Europe a few summers ago, I saw Gaerne stuff everywhere.

Boots here

i wear sidi. warm enough for Cali. weather and definitely waterproof. they're comfy but not sure if they'll suit your needs.

Love my Oxtars. Bought them in Charleston at the rally this year for under $200. Sometimes I'll keep them on after my commute to work and just wear them all day.

I always liked the looks of the Belstaff boot in pictures, but I don't know anyone who wears them.

C

Oxstars = Intersport, right? Isn't that the old Hein Gericke? I have a pair of Gericke boots that I bought 5 years & 50,000 miles ago that I still love, only paid $125 for them and they are just now starting to weep a little after long rides in heavy downpours, I would keep them forever if the soles weren't starting to get thin.

Mikel, I don't know what you're riding in now, but if it's a pair of workboots or other non-motorcycle boots you won't believe the difference when you switch, it is totally worth it. You can get a basic (but still waterproof) pair for way under $150, or pay more for hi-tech-ier insulation and armor.

Miserable feet = miserable rider. Happy feet = happy rider
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

GIZMO
    I have been very happy with the Oxtar. They are very similar to the BMW but less costly. I ride evryday as well and have held up well in just over a year of riding. The few time I have ridden in the rain since purchasing them, my feet have stayed dry.

Talking Several ideas

I have an "old" pair of "Roadmaster" boots I bought, before Corbin bought the previous mfr out. I believe it is the same boot; truly an indestructable (sp?) boot for street touring. It would not be the correct boot to GS'ing with thru South America, nor extended wet weather touring........but it "walks" well once you get to destination/rally, etc....WITHOUT the 2" heel of some, er, "engineer" type boots!

They are fairly expensive now, since they have been Corbinized, but they are VERY comfortable, tall if you like ( I do), and have rear/side brass zipper entry. Check out the Corbin site (?).

For daily commuting to work, and summer (10 mos/yr) riding I wear Sidi "Land" boots. They are NOT marketed as motorcycle boots, even though it's the same boot company that makes all the go-fast boots. The 'Land" boots are good looking hiking boots, about 6" high, with lace-lugs up top. Great dual purpose boot where looks might be a problem commuting, or for casual riding, with shorts and HEAVY chaps on!!!

Comments welcome.......................Shepster
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

WILHELMGGW
    You might take a look at
    * BMW Contour Boots *

Bill Stermer reviewed them quite favorably in the October '03 issue of Rider magazine.
    Rider Magazine

I've come to trust Rider over the years. For a publication that's not married to any one OEM, they pretty consistently give high marks to our BMW productions. I guess that's part of why I ride one myself.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    After several years wearing Diadora bicycle shoes and being impressed with their fit and durability, I bought a pair of their motorcycle boots to try. I have worn them in a couple heavy rains, with no leaking. I have also worn them in temps so far this year of 27 degrees for my short 20 minute commute to work, and they have kept me warm for that ride. I find them very comfortable, and I imagine that as long as I keep putting shoe polish, (the real kiwi wax) on them they will remain waterproof as my old alpinestars did for years. You can find them for under 130.00 at your dealer, or even less online I suppose.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Need More Riding Time Kneedragon's Avatar
    I wear a Danner Gore Tex boot. Outstanding in almost constant use for 3 seasons. I had them resoled this past summer and the are as good as the day I bought them.
    No leaks...ever....

I think Cabelas used to carry them but I'd imagine any good outfitter type store can get them in

Booties

Picked up some Pre Xport waterproof boots at my local dealership last year. Wear em every day to and from work. Never a leak and we have been in some pretty heavy Michigan rains - once for over an hour in a good hard rain. They keep my feeties warm on the frosty mornings, too.
    Noticed some separation at the toe from the sole, but I can probably goop it up. Wear and tear otherwise is very acceptable. Paid 100 bucks.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

WesPeterson
    Sidi sympatex gets my vote. Love em' Love em'. My pair is going on four years now.

See: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/sympatex.html
    for a review.