Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have the Forum folks considered opening

I picked up my GPS just a few weeks before the MOA rally, this year. It has paid for itself a number of time, already.

For one, it was GREAT having a prompt come up on screen to tell me where to go. A LOT easier in heavy Montreal traffic than trying to look at a map.

Second, I left a concert on Friday night, and was jammed into traffic. I ended up making a big loop on some very minor roads. The GPS told me how to get to the highway, and I saved a ton of time. If you've ever been to something at the Palace of Auburn Hills, you know what I mean. I've also used it a number of times to "route home" when I've been out riding, and want the fastest route back.

Third, it's nice being able to see where I've ridden - mine has a nice track log.

I can't see being without it, now!

Quote Originally Posted by Belquar
    I am a map guy. I like to look at maps. Brian
    IÔÇÖm a ÔÇ£map guyÔÇØ too. I love to look at them. I plan my trips with them. I have maps from every place IÔÇÖve been and almost every place I plan to go. But when IÔÇÖm ready to ride (or drive or go boating) I like to have my GPS handy. Here are some of my reasons for using a GPS:

1. I can plan a route on the computer and transfer it to my GPS.
    2. I can plot waypoints and other points of interest and transfer them to my GPS.
    3. A GPS can tell me when I am going to arrive at my destination or when the next turn is coming up. I donÔÇÖt have to have that information but itÔÇÖs nice on a long trip.
    4. If my trip gets interrupted by a detour a GPS will get me back on my route.
    5. A GPS is great when the traffic is heavy and you are in unfamiliar territory.
    6. When the trip is over I have all kinds of interesting information ÔÇô trip time, average speed, stopped time, highest speed, etc.

Sometimes ÔÇô especially on a motorcycle ÔÇô a GPS can get in the way. It can be a distraction ÔÇô just like a cell phone. But more often then not I find a GPS to be helpful.

Yes, you can find GPS information other places but the information you find does not always deal with using them on motorcycles.

So a backcountry application makes sense but having one while riding on the highway....DUNNO.

I would be interested in everyones reasons.

Brian

I have a TOM TOM which is not bad but it lacks some of the features I think I would like to see in a turn by turn GPS. I use mine when in the cage and when on the bike. I was taking a friend to the Atlanta airport the other week when I encoutered a traffic stoppage on the interstate which went on for miles. I simply told the GPS to take me to the airport by the shortest route and avoid the interstate... trust me I would have never found the route it took me on had I been using a map. I think I went on more back streets and country roads... but it got us there in record time and without traffic. I don't use mine much on the slab but use it a lot on back roads.

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

GPS is on my wish list

this year. Reccomendations?
    Wherever you go, there you are.

belquar
    All right. Lets here some negative aspects about owning a GPS. You guys are making me want one.

BUBBAZANETTI
    hey look, this has ALSO become a gps thread, i'm gonna copy it to the gear section

sfdave

GPS vs Maps

I like 'em both. An older gentleman I ride with always gets a laugh while I'm playing with my streetpilot III, trying to find some obscure side road..... while he pulls out his trusty AAA map and points us in the right directon.....

Looking forward to checking out the new Zumo.

Motorcycleton
    All right. Lets here some negative aspects about owning a GPS.
    Some negative aspects that occur to me are:

- Distraction factor. There is a risk of a crash due to inattention to the road conditions ahead while viewing the GPS. A similar risk exists with maps on tank bags.

- Cost. A good GPS can cost hundreds of dollars and perhaps over a thousand bucks. Maps are much less expensive

- Theft target. This is related to cost, but if the GPS is left on the bike while unattended, a thief could steal. (I wouldn't leave my tankbag on the bike unattended either!)

- Accuracy of maps. I think that this is a quite small negative as I've found the DeLorme mapping / GPS system that I use with my laptop in a car to be very accurate. Printed maps can have errors as well.

- Damage to GPS unit from weather / vibration. Again related to cost or replacement cost. Presumably GPS units intended for motorcycle applications are weatherproof and more resistant to vibration.

- Power consumption. Even for an older airhead's charging system, I would think that a GPS would not be a significant current drain. Thus this is likely the least important negative.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robsmoto
    Some negative aspects that occur to me are:

- Distraction factor. There is a risk of a crash due to inattention to the road conditions ahead while viewing the GPS. A similar risk exists with maps on tank bags.

- Cost. A good GPS can cost hundreds of dollars and perhaps over a thousand bucks. Maps are much less expensive

- Theft target. This is related to cost, but if the GPS is left on the bike while unattended, a thief could steal. (I wouldn't leave my tankbag on the bike unattended either!)

- Accuracy of maps. I think that this is a quite small negative as I've found the DeLorme mapping / GPS system that I use with my laptop in a car to be very accurate. Printed maps can have errors as well.

- Damage to GPS unit from weather / vibration. Again related to cost or replacement cost. Presumably GPS units intended for motorcycle applications are weatherproof and more resistant to vibration.

- Power consumption. Even for an older airhead's charging system, I would think that a GPS would not be a significant current drain. Thus this is likely the least important negative.
    Not too negative. Most of it could be the negatives of owning a motorcycle in the first place.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Some paper maps are not very acurate either.
    I think you need to be able to work both the GPS and paper maps.
    I use it mainly to find odd ball backroads in unfamilar places. And it lets me see were the road will end up, before riding it.
    Bernie Echt
    Jacksonville, FL
    2007 R1200RT Double Silver, 2000 R11RT sold (103K)
    MOA#92589, BMWNEF, BMW Outriders, BMW-RA, AMA