Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fog Measures?

Hybrid View

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Fog Measures?

Have been caught a couple of times this summer in early morning dense fog. All of a sudden there it is. Sometimes the fog is so thick all one can do is to keep between the white lines.

A few minutes later the full face visor is covered over. Lift the visor and the glasses get covered in a short interval. The only safe thing seems to be to pull over and wait it out. In a cage one turns on the wipers and the heaters - options not available on the usual motorcycle.

Other than moving to a warmer clime, does anyone have any strategies to fight this phenomenon?
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH
    Have been caught a couple of times this summer in early morning dense fog. All of a sudden there it is. Sometimes the fog is so thick all one can do is to keep between the white lines.

A few minutes later the full face visor is covered over. Lift the visor and the glasses get covered in a short interval. The only safe thing seems to be to pull over and wait it out. In a cage one turns on the wipers and the heaters - options not available on the usual motorcycle.

Other than moving to a warmer clime, does anyone have any strategies to fight this phenomenon?
    I ride in fog from time to time, here in the foggy bay area.

I wear Held gloves that have a little visor wiper built into the left index finger. I won't buy gloves without them any more.

Also, headlight on low beam, fog lights, if you've got them, on. And remember, fog lights need to be low to shine under the fog. Put them up high and they don't work.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Your Ad Here
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    I ride in fog from time to time, here in the foggy bay area.

I wear Held gloves that have a little visor wiper built into the left index finger. I won't buy gloves without them any more.

Also, headlight on low beam, fog lights, if you've got them, on. And remember, fog lights need to be low to shine under the fog. Put them up high and they don't work.
    +1 for the little wiper built in thingy in the fog, +2 for held gloves

On the outskirts of the thriving metropolis of Burgin, KY
    I seem to remember that some snowmobile outfitters had heated visors several years ago. Maybe Dennis Kirk?
    Last edited by JohnHall; 09-28-2006 at 03:47 PM.

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    Rider's Wearhouse sells packs of 3 different sizes. I think <$10.

SUV Rider
    Slow to a speed that suits your visibility and the visibility of the person that may hit you from behind if you are too slow. Wear gear that can be seen, even if it is an add-on vest or belt/tabard, the built in wipers in the Held gloves are great but a wiper of any brand is advantageous, low beam on the headlights and if you have them turn on the fog lights as they diffuse the light nicely to prevent bounce-back.

Yes, I have run into the fog issue (not very frequently, though) and it sucks. Stop, open visor, wipe, ride, repeat. What I need to invent is a windsheild (visor) wiper and de-fogger unit small enough to be installed in the helmet and be non-obtrusive. With current technology making smaller and smaller, why not? Its on my to-do list. Here are a couple of products I found, but have not tried. Good luck.

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/
    or....
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ty-progrip.htm
    Lou
    San Ramon, Ca.

'05 R1200ST
    Dark graphite/Sydney Blue
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

There's a rear foglight kit for Oilheads.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

9. 09-27-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg
    My fear in fog is getting hit from behind.

It's my biggest fear too. If it is that foggy I don't ride, I just don't feel it is worth the risk. Stay safe and wait it out if you can.

Stuff2c
    I have a fogcity ( http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...ct.asp?Item=FC )on my clear shield just for this reason. Be REAL careful pulling off the road, some moron in a car may take you out. Get WAY off the road in heavy fog if you do pull over.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff2C
    Be REAL careful pulling off the road, some moron in a car may take you out. Get WAY off the road in heavy fog if you do pull over.
    remember that in low visibility, drivers will often follow lights ahead of them. leaving your lights on while pulled over to the side may guide them right into the rear of your bike.

Stuff2c
    Quote Originally Posted by wuli959
    remember that in low visibility, drivers will often follow lights ahead of them. leaving your lights on while pulled over to the side may guide them right into the rear of your bike.
    +1

14. 09-27-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff2C
    I have a fogcity ( http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...ct.asp?Item=FC )on my clear shield just for this reason. Be REAL careful pulling off the road, some moron in a car may take you out. Get WAY off the road in heavy fog if you do pull over.
    Uh, the Fog City works on the inside. A good fog bank makes the outside of your shield wet in a way that's very different than rain.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.