Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Have the Forum folks considered opening a GPS forum

Quote Originally Posted by Belquar

I would be interested in everyones reasons.

Brian
    I think the belief that a GPS just turns you into a drone following a route is to greatly underestimate the value they can bring to travel. I rarely plot trips in advance yet still use the GPS extensively on trips.

Here's a scenario: You're riding down the highway, out in the middle of nowhere. It's starting to get dark, so it's time to start thinking about where to stay for the night.

I've got a Garmin 2610 with a roundel on it (Nav II), so I pull over and start poking around, looking for a hotel in its database. It gives me a list of them, complete with phone numbers. I start dialing and find a spot to stay. It's much easier than doing the "Holiday Inn Shuffle", going from hotel to hotel trying to find a room.

Here's one I use more frequently. I'm out riding around NorCal, seeking out more of the little farm roads we have. I've got no idea where I am, but I know it's time to turn toward home. I start heading home, completely lost still and see a nice side road. The GPS, which has been telling me how to get home and what time I'll get there, recalcs the route, adjusting the time and directions. I stop in a town, call Tina on the cell and tell her when I'll be home with some degree of accuracy.

I'm somewhere in the Big West and my gas light comes on. I haven't seen a road sign in hours. Where's the nearest gas? Ask the GPS. In some cases, the only gas in range might be behind you, you know?

In any case, I'm a map guy too. I've got a drawer full of them and always carry them on the bike for big picture navigation. But with a GPS along, I've got a database and a nav computer that can make my trip that much better, free of surprises and more enjoyable.

I was skeptical when Tina bought us this one, but I have to say that I'll never travel without one again.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

HODAG
    I have a GPS V don't really use it.

I have GPS on my laptop for work, use it while on sales trips. wouldn't be with out it

advrider.com
    I've never even considered getting one. I'm typically very good at finding my way, and my internal compass is pretty precise. I guess I've been lucky enough to only run out of gas near my house (twice).

..and before I get a GPS, I've gotta get a lot of other stuff.

Does seem like making a GPS thread in the Gear forum would be a good alternative to asking if anyone has ever considered creating a whole forum about that specific thread-like topic.

Question Can I just come on board here and ask you outright?

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
    I've never even considered getting one. I'm typically very good at finding my way, and my internal compass is pretty precise. I guess I've been lucky enough to only run out of gas near my house (twice).

..and before I get a GPS, I've gotta get a lot of other stuff.

Does seem like making a GPS thread in the Gear forum would be a good alternative to asking if anyone has ever considered creating a whole forum about that specific thread-like topic.
    Why are you so against starting a forum on GPS?Because you have little or no interest in them?If we have the space,why not?
    There have been at least 10 very good reasons for a GPS here(not mine) listed by members so far.I'm very new to GPS myself and I'd like a forum to turn to when a have a question(I'll have many).
    A poster could list their favorite tracks for us to share.We could sell and buy GPS related items in 1 place...the reasons go on and on.
    Why should I have to go to other websites for that info when the most important club to me could have it?
    John

GPS is a tool. I don't have it in my tool box yet. In the mean time I use gps (geographical paper source). I want to learn more about it and its application to motorcycle touring etc.

As an interum thing why not focus GPS questions in the gear section. Move GPS threads that develop to other areas to that section just as we do with other topics that a out of place in their section of origin. Quickly people will learn that is where to look for GPS topics. If there is enough flow in the future see what form we can create a section then.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar

Wow, too much to say here,,,

I would'nt leave home without my Quest (and that's only because I'm too cheap to get a 2600 series). I agree with what Kbasa had to say. There is too much info stored in a data base that a paper map just doesn't have. Phone numbers, street address, etc. Sure mine has taken me to the wrong place from time to time, like a service (mechanical service not gas service) but more often than not I can find the credit card friendly places I'm looking for. Hotels, an hour out I can call and see if they have a room or keep searching. Getting lost and finding your way "Priceless".

I like road "Atlas's" too for seeing what's out there, but I can just easily puch up "Attractions" and get directions to something within 50-miles and a route to them. Imagination is a wonderful thing not to waste, but pin-point directions are worth the price of admission...

Should there be a "GPS Thread" yeah, ADVrider has one. Why not here?
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

HIJACK

Doc,
    I was wondering where you were and how you and the beter half are doing. Good to see a post from you.

End of HIJACK

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka
    HIJACK

Doc,
    I was wondering where you were and how you and the beter half are doing. Good to see a post from you.

End of HIJACK
    Gone for a week to "Colorful" Colorado. We're doing fine but the minor traffic infraction I got back in July (in Colorado) is growing its own set of horns. That court date will continue at least another month... I hope it is settled without a trial...

Speaking of GPSs, It is in fact a GPS (Info Track) that holds my defense and provides at least "Beyond Reasonable Doubt" that I am correct in my position for not violating the law in passing another vehicle between the solid and broken lines marked on the road. I will let you all know how it turns out. But, for now the saga continues...

Doc
    Last edited by PacWestGS; 09-28-2006 at 05:25 AM.
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

M1ka

Quote Originally Posted by M1ka
    GPS is a tool. I don't have it in my tool box yet. In the mean time I use gps (geographical paper source). I want to learn more about it and its application to motorcycle touring etc.

As an interum thing why not focus GPS questions in the gear section. Move GPS threads that develop to other areas to that section just as we do with other topics that a out of place in their section of origin. Quickly people will learn that is where to look for GPS topics. If there is enough flow in the future see what form we can create a section then.
    should I take that as a NO for the present time?If so,I'll continue to look at that "other" site for help and info.And since I'm not aware of who makes decisions regarding adding a forum,are you the final word?
    John

Don't know where you get that. I am just a member giving my input. I may be mouthy and do a lot of posting but I have no control over anything on the fourm.

My suggestion of an interum solution is simply that, a suggestion.

Maybe the tone and the use of "WE" twice in the reply

[QUOTE=M1ka]As an interum thing why not focus GPS questions in the gear section. Move GPS threads that develop to other areas to that section just as we do with other topics that a out of place in their section of origin. Quickly people will learn that is where to look for GPS topics. If there is enough flow in the future see what form we can create a section then.

We being an administrator or someone in a position to make a decision regarding forums.Maybe when you said WE,you actually meant the club.
    So far-2 negatives and several positives re: GPS.
    John

[QUOTE=bigdelta][QUOTE=M1ka]As an interum thing why not focus GPS questions in the gear section. Move GPS threads that develop to other areas to that section just as we do with other topics that a out of place in their section of origin. Quickly people will learn that is where to look for GPS topics. If there is enough flow in the future see what form we can create a section then.

We being an administrator or someone in a position to make a decision regarding forums.Maybe when you said WE,you actually meant the club.
    I have read very many of your posts since I've been here(not long at all) and the tone of your posts lead me to believe you were more than just a member.
    So far-2 negatives and several positives re: GPS.

I don't think a GPS forum is warranted yet. At this point, we've got a Gear forum where those things can live, along with a pretty effective search tool to find GPS posts.

I think if we saw folks posting GPS traces with their trip reports and saw more intense discussion about particular GPS practices and such, we'd entertain a new forum. But at this point, the GPS topics we see revolve around which one to buy and how to mount it. I can't recall a single thread where people talk about actually using a GPS, though my memory could be completely wrong.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Yes I was using we in reference to all the members on the forum.

I think of the members and all who post as a group. We, the members, have an excellent web staff and support group. I am not a part of that group, just part of the members, but I pay attention to everything we ask of them and think they have a heavy load.

I don't use GPS on my bike but would like learn about its application and issues about using it there.

The suggestion was in support of focusing GPS questions in on area. Many members consider GPS as part of their motorcycle "gear". Therefore; Gear seams a logical place right now. I would much rather lurk and learn than debate the merrits of adding a new Forum Area.

If there is enough interest and volume to warrant a new section they will do it. It just takes time. It took about a year to get the Flea Market up and running and based on a recent post there are still a couple of bugs. If we talk about it and need it they will build it.

Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    I don't think a GPS forum is warranted yet. At this point, we've got a Gear forum where those things can live, along with a pretty effective search tool to find GPS posts.

I think if we saw folks posting GPS traces with their trip reports and saw more intense discussion about particular GPS practices and such, we'd entertain a new forum. But at this point, the GPS topics we see revolve around which one to buy and how to mount it. I can't recall a single thread where people talk about actually using a GPS, though my memory could be completely wrong.
    Possibly the reason you don't see more posts regarding GPS is because the users don't figure enough folks aren't interested,so why bother.Oh well....
    guess we'll never agree on anything.Back to lurking.
    Last edited by bigdelta; 09-28-2006 at 07:42 PM.