Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Have the Forum folks considered opening a GPS forum

I picked up my GPS just a few weeks before the MOA rally, this year. It has paid for itself a number of time, already.

For one, it was GREAT having a prompt come up on screen to tell me where to go. A LOT easier in heavy Montreal traffic than trying to look at a map.

Second, I left a concert on Friday night, and was jammed into traffic. I ended up making a big loop on some very minor roads. The GPS told me how to get to the highway, and I saved a ton of time. If you've ever been to something at the Palace of Auburn Hills, you know what I mean. I've also used it a number of times to "route home" when I've been out riding, and want the fastest route back.

Third, it's nice being able to see where I've ridden - mine has a nice track log.

I can't see being without it, now!

Quote Originally Posted by Belquar
    I am a map guy. I like to look at maps. Brian
    IÔÇÖm a ÔÇ£map guyÔÇØ too. I love to look at them. I plan my trips with them. I have maps from every place IÔÇÖve been and almost every place I plan to go. But when IÔÇÖm ready to ride (or drive or go boating) I like to have my GPS handy. Here are some of my reasons for using a GPS:

1. I can plan a route on the computer and transfer it to my GPS.
    2. I can plot waypoints and other points of interest and transfer them to my GPS.
    3. A GPS can tell me when I am going to arrive at my destination or when the next turn is coming up. I donÔÇÖt have to have that information but itÔÇÖs nice on a long trip.
    4. If my trip gets interrupted by a detour a GPS will get me back on my route.
    5. A GPS is great when the traffic is heavy and you are in unfamiliar territory.
    6. When the trip is over I have all kinds of interesting information ÔÇô trip time, average speed, stopped time, highest speed, etc.

Sometimes ÔÇô especially on a motorcycle ÔÇô a GPS can get in the way. It can be a distraction ÔÇô just like a cell phone. But more often then not I find a GPS to be helpful.

Yes, you can find GPS information other places but the information you find does not always deal with using them on motorcycles.

So a backcountry application makes sense but having one while riding on the highway....DUNNO.

I would be interested in everyones reasons.

Brian

I have a TOM TOM which is not bad but it lacks some of the features I think I would like to see in a turn by turn GPS. I use mine when in the cage and when on the bike. I was taking a friend to the Atlanta airport the other week when I encoutered a traffic stoppage on the interstate which went on for miles. I simply told the GPS to take me to the airport by the shortest route and avoid the interstate... trust me I would have never found the route it took me on had I been using a map. I think I went on more back streets and country roads... but it got us there in record time and without traffic. I don't use mine much on the slab but use it a lot on back roads.

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

GPS is on my wish list

this year. Reccomendations?
    Wherever you go, there you are.

belquar
    All right. Lets here some negative aspects about owning a GPS. You guys are making me want one.

BUBBAZANETTI
    hey look, this has ALSO become a gps thread, i'm gonna copy it to the gear section

more on gps's

May I sugggest that at the WI Rally several of the experienced and seasoned gps users present to the "group" on the basics of GPS usage?

It would be great to have several models hooked up for demo.

What about a gps demo tent? Why not contact some of the gps manufacturers
    and work a deal out with them?

I know that I will buy a gps in the next 6 months. But I want to talk to people who have different models, styles of riding and so forth.

my 0.02
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Quote Originally Posted by BeemoKat
    this year. Reccomendations?
    You've seen my Garmin Quest. If you want to spend some $$, I'd suggest the Quest 2. It has enough memory to have the detailed maps for ALL of North America, so you don't have to load the specific maps for your trip, like I have to. It's the only annoyance I have, although it DID have enough memory to get me to the rally via Canada, and home via the US.

if you get something different, I would also suggest something that has a track log, for you. This was very handy for me to retrace some of my ride, after I got home from the MOA rally. It's also what I used to figure out where we had stopped for breakfast at the rally, on Saturday. And of course, make sure it's waterproof!

I would be interested to see why folks like them so much.
    Brian
    Easier to read than a map when the map requires reading glasses...

All right. Lets here some negative aspects about owning a GPS. You guys are making me want one.
    Ummmmm....
    ERrrr...
    I... uhhh....

It will draw an extra few watts from your (probably) undertaxed alternator?
    That's not really negative I suppose.

Oh! It will get you home quicker! Which IS negative when you're in trouble with the spouse! But, if you have an inkling of what to expect when you arrive home, you can use it to get "lost" and delay arrival, which is another bonus again...

Damn, I just don't know...
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist
    May I sugggest that at the WI Rally several of the experienced and seasoned gps users present to the "group" on the basics of GPS usage?

It would be great to have several models hooked up for demo.

What about a gps demo tent? Why not contact some of the gps manufacturers
    and work a deal out with them?

I know that I will buy a gps in the next 6 months. But I want to talk to people who have different models, styles of riding and so forth.

my 0.02
    Even the MOA is too small a market to get the manufacturers out to an event, they're busy developing product. And WHICH WI rally? Madison? Dells? The HD summer event?

You want to see the best selection of GPS's in ONE location? Visit Cyclegadgets, check their rally calendar, and go to one. Not only do they carry a rather broad selection, they KNOW the products and can tell you all about them!
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

JWHITE518
    You can get distracted playing with the gizmo. You know the pilot's hierarchy: Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Make sure you don't give too much attention to navigation while you should be aviating. I know of a guy who died in a crash in broad daylight. I'm not positive but I suspect it's because he was paying attention to his gizmos instead of that semi that just pulled onto the highway in front of him.

They're expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. (Garmin's map updates are $150 or so annually.)

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite518
    (Garmin's map updates are $150 or so annually.)
    Around $75 lately...
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

JWHITE518
    Just thought of another negative: It's not always right. Sometimes it comes up with some bass-ackwards routes. Or it doesn't know about roads that have been there for years.

If you buy an older model the route calculations are toooooooo slow. I have a Streetpilot III. If I'm in a dense area, and I miss a turn and force a recalc, it's best to just pull over and let it recalc instead of continuing to ride along and get further and further off course. I understand the newer models have much improved response times.

The '07 NATIONAL RALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown
    Even the MOA is too small a market to get the manufacturers out to an event, they're busy developing product. And WHICH WI rally? Madison? Dells? The HD summer event?

You want to see the best selection of GPS's in ONE location? Visit Cyclegadgets, check their rally calendar, and go to one. Not only do they carry a rather broad selection, they KNOW the products and can tell you all about them!
    !