Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Choice

dsimon9

Helmts

I have worn Shoei's for many, many years. I have been happy with them. I recently decided to get a modular (flip up) helmet due to my glasses. I ended up getting the Schuberth C2. It is a heavier helmet, no question about it, but it seems to be very warm and well insulated for the upcoming Winter.

A couple of more comments. I tried an Arai helmet (non-modular) and it fit well. The big draw back, I was not able to slide my glasses in.

As others have said, regardless of the brand name/cost, make sure the helmet fits well.

Good luck with your search.

Dex

I've been riding with a KBC helmet for a year and a half. I actually purchased it at that store that sells that black and orange gear, but only because it was my first helmet, and I wanted to try something on. It was only $150, but fits well, vents well, is not too loud (for me), and after peeling off the Buell stickers, looks great. Webbikeworld did a review on the helmet; it's sold at the HD deal as the "Redline" but is also the VR-1. They liked it, as well. I also recommended it to someone who was also happy with it. They have some newer helmets out now. I also sent my helmet in for inspection over the winter, after some abuse. It included free return shipping, and a nice helmet sack, as well.

I think it's a very underrated brand! Good + affordable.

1200 GS Rider

Arai RX-7 Corsair

After trying on many different helmets, I finally decided on the Arai RX-7 Corsair. Expensive, but it just felt the most comfortable by far. It's pretty light weight, vents well, and was one of the best for allowing me to slide my glasses on. My only complaint with it is the hassle in switching shields - it's just a difficult process that always me think I'm about to break the shield although that hasn't happened (yet).
    Larry
    2006 R1200GS

Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember,
    Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways.

Shoei

I just bought my second Shoei,it fits like a tight glove,like it is supposed to.The head ventilation holes actually work.It is not noticeably heavy,it is not real quiet.$600 Canadian, ZII model.

I would wear a flip up if I thought it would fit as well as the Shoei.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Helmets

As far as fit, all helmets and heads are a little different. Find a full-face helmet that's comfortable.

I recommend white for visibility. White also stays a little cooler in the Texas sun.

Look for one with a face shield that latches in the down position. The ones that don't fasten down will tend to get blown open by the wind as the helmet gets older.

If noise is a problem, buy some ear plugs.

Easy
    Big Empty, Texas
    The only way to entertain some folks is to listen to them.
    Kin Hubbard (1868-1930)

I have been very happy with the HJC Symax as well as the BMW System V flipface. The BMW helmet was a UK purchase, but if you are going to UK/Europe/AU then it is a fabulous option.

Cheers......
    Cheers............Rod
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy": http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-000167680

You can also find the System 5 and Schuberth

Quote Originally Posted by LRider
    I have been very happy with the HJC Symax as well as the BMW System V flipface. The BMW helmet was a UK purchase, but if you are going to UK/Europe/AU then it is a fabulous option.

Cheers......
    for good prices on e-bay Germany.I just bought a C1,as new,for $130 shipped.Similar deals are available on helmets not offered here and also those that are.There were over 80 Schuberths listed when I was looking last month.
    While searching e-bay de,I saw that Schuberth also makes helmets for industrial use.

excursion
    After testing helmets from 6 manufactures I made a purchase. The one that worked the best for me was the Arai Quantum 2. I didn't like the price but the end of season dicount from my dealer helped a bit. I'v ridden more than 300 miles since the purchase and I am very happy with my choice. Thanks again to everyone who responded to my post. Your input was extremly helpful.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LRider

Cheers......
    Canada?
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    If the fit is good (oval heads like Arai, and round ones Shoei as I'm told..?!)

I loved my Arai Quantum, and it did save my gourd in my recent getoff.
    I was due to buy another next year anyway, and am planning to do so.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    I used to have an old BMW mk1 flip helmet. It was hot, noisy and heavy but had the novelty of the flip up chin bar for glasses.

The last time I went looking for a helmet I still wanted the flip up chin bar. Most of the ones I looked at we're still heavy and no option for ventilation. ON a trip to a Honda dealer looking for a small generator my wife spotted the helmets and started trying them on. We looked and tried on several. Surprisingly it was a rather inexpensive brand that seemed to fit the best for us. We ended up with a couple Wolf brand helmets. They are not the quietest but better than my old BMW helmet and they have very effective air flow. They are as comfortable as it gets in summer heat and very light weight to boot. The visor is good, nothging spectacular but good and clear with no major distortion at all, even on the edges. The visor will stay open at several settings from all the way to just cracked and the air vents can be closed. They have outstanding anti fog traits and I have had no fogging even in cold wet weather. They are DOT rated and marked. Especially for the price we are very happy with them and will look at them again when it's time to get new ones.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

[QUOTE=cjack]Canada?[/QUOTE

Sorry, can't get the BMW helmet in Canada....
    Cheers............Rod
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy": http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-000167680

Opposed

shoei x-11

Bought a new x-11 to the tune of roughly 500 dollars. I was sorely disappointed with quality control. sticker placed on sloppily, shield will flip down anything above 40 mph making it a terrible summer helmet, noisy as all get out. Fits great, I hate it otherwise... RIDE whatever you are considering as most shops will not allow a return on a helmet.

I just crash tested a Shoei. I'm please to report that with the exception of some minor (very minor) bleeding on the brain, I am alive and well.
    RatSnake
    Dennis Murphy
    Third Lake, IL
    2013 R1200GS BMWMOA, IBMWR, AMA Rounder #43

I rode today for the first time with my new Arai RX-7, and it seemed like wind noise was really loud. Noisier even than my usual Nolan N102, which has a reputation as a noisy helmet. I was disappointed. And I'm a chubby-cheeked fellow and the dang cheek pads were squashing me mug. It IS a beautiful and well-built lid though.

Quote Originally Posted by ldysert
    After trying on many different helmets, I finally decided on the Arai RX-7 Corsair. Expensive, but it just felt the most comfortable by far. It's pretty light weight, vents well, and was one of the best for allowing me to slide my glasses on. My only complaint with it is the hassle in switching shields - it's just a difficult process that always me think I'm about to break the shield although that hasn't happened (yet).