Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hydration

LazyWizard
    After several variations and the absolute requirement to have ice cold water available all day for hot Texas rides, I stuff a small 'pocket' ice box in the tank bag. It rests on top of my rain suit top and the bag expands enough to have some top space for the usual devices, gloves etc.

I fill the camelback bladder with just a little ice and top it off and chuck ice in the container. I have ridden 10 hours from Dallas to Lincoln in August and still had ice cold sips at arrival. The hose fits well between the two zippers and can be stuffed back into the cold environment with the left hand so there is no hot flush of heated water in the tube before the cold.

It depends on where you place your value. Tank bags serve well for many things but I ride with no electronics and Texas can bake you like a brownie before noon some days. Water is paramount in my book.

hydration

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

Sounds like the camelback type bladder is the way to go. I think I'll try it in my tank bag and see how that works for me.

I've also started bringing fruit with me to munch on when I stop for gas or to take pictures. That seems to help with hydration and also to keep me fueled internally.

See you on the roads!
    Lisa

Just make sure you waterproof around it in the tankbag. Anything happens to burst it, or if it starts to leak, and you have a lot of wet things in the tankbag. :P

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

I have been an avid mountain biker for twenty-odd years and I've been around Camelbaks literally since they were invented. Between the several I've owned, and all of my buddies combined, I have NEVER seen one fail (beyond maybe a bite-valve problem here or there). Those who are saying they've burst in their tankbags... I've got to wonder if "puncture" is a better term than "burst".

On my '03 summer trip thru Utah and Colorado, I put a 2-liter bladder right in the large vertical chest pocket of my 'Stich. That worked well. (Additional fluids carried elsewhere on the bike as well). In '05 I used a 3-liter backpack-type, which also worked well. The Camelbak and it's clones are designed for active sports like mountain biking so by design it's got to be stable and unobtrusive.

The Camelbak I use for bicycling today is equipped with a winter kit, which encloses the tube in an insulating foam sheath, and places the bite valve in a larger rubber enclosure. Intended to prevent freeze-up (it works) it also helps keep that first swallow cooler on a hot day.

My newest favorite is not a Camelbak brand, but is from REI. It uses a 3-liter Nalgene bag. A couple features make it a standout: the daypack has a light plastic internal insert which is formed into a channel to fully enclose the bladder, preventing any of the other contents inside the pack from puncturing the bladder. Also, it's got the best compression system I've ever seen, that can practically make the pack appear vacuum-formed around the contents.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more