Thread: great bike..... crappy seat... help

great bike..... crappy seat... help

OK all,
    New member with a new K 1200 GT.... Love it but hate the seat.... Corbin, Sargent, something else....... You tell me. I am 6ft 195 and want to be comfortable........... What should I get.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing all of you on the road.

Jim

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

As one who had a custom seat made I will now give the Airhawk a shot. I had a Rick Mayer and it worked very well but the $$ spent could have been used for gas too . I sat on one for 30 min at the dealer and I liked it a lot. Just my 0.02 cts

What do you hate about the seat?

Your posterior is on of 5 contact points with the bike. How are the other 4? I have no first hand experience with your bike. The Roadster had a horrible seat out of the box. Once I got the other 4 in the right place the seat was not so bad. The Airhawk is a good choice and a reasonable investment while you sort things out.

PS. Welcome to the forum!
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

What kind of riding do you do? The more hours you spend on a seat the more you can tell about its comfort.

I can only talk about Corbin when it comes to aftermarket seats. If you get a Corbin don't count on customer service. Nor do I think their seats are fitted that well when it comes to BMWs.

None of the after market seats are cheap. With a Rick Meyers if you have a heated seat, you can keep the bike's switch.

Oh yes, great having you in the forum.

Easy
    Big Empty, Texas

Man seeketh in society comfort, use and protection.
    Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

SUV Rider
    Are there adjustments on the seat of the K12GT? I know that some have the ability to adjust the height of the seat front as beemers sometimes have the tendency to slide you to the tank and create pressure on the inner thigh and pelvic area. I also remember seeing devices called seat jacks to level the seat too.

I have a Russell saddle on mine and I love it but as was previously stated the cash could buy a lot of gas...well half as much as when I bought it but still. The Airhawks are an economical answer.

Another thing that I found while hunting for other stuff, was an item call BYO Bag available at REI (and other places I suspect). It is a gel bag that is designed for campers to be able to carry bottles and keep them cool. I bought a wide one for $20 and used it on my old 1980 Yamaha with great success for a long day of riding. That saddle was not known for rider friendly long distance. Simple stitching of velcro straps were attached to the sides of the seat so that I can lift off the saddle and attach the two ends together without concern of shifting.

BMW makes wonderful motorcycles. However, except for the K1200LT, its stock seats are not comfortable and haven't been for a long time. I have replaced the stock seats on every BMW motorcycle I have owned starting with a new 1976 R90/6. Every one.

I have tried lots of different aftermarket saddles. My current favorites are those by Rick Mayer. Here they are on my R1200RT (left) and my R1150RT (right). Click on a photo to go to Rick's website.

Jeff Dean - Tucson, Arizona - BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/r1200rt.htm -- Friend of the Marque
    MSF Chief Instructor (1994) - Over 500,000 BMW miles (805,000 km)
    2007 R1200RT, 2014 R1200RT, R25/3, R51/3, R67/3, R68, R60/2 (x3), R69S, & R100GS

Jeff:

On the left rear portion of the rider's seat of the R1150RT there looks to be a hole. Is it a rip or hole in the leather? Or more likely, do I need some glasses. It wasn't caused by normal wear and tear, was it?

Easy

Big Empty, Texas

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
    Woody Allen (1935- )

Quote Originally Posted by Easy
    Jeff:

On the left rear portion of the rider's seat of the R1150RT there looks to be a hole. Is it a rip or hole in the leather? Or more likely, do I need some glasses. It wasn't caused by normal wear and tear, was it?
    Perhaps it's the shrunken photo. The leather is perfect. No holes
    Jeff Dean - Tucson, Arizona - BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/r1200rt.htm -- Friend of the Marque
    MSF Chief Instructor (1994) - Over 500,000 BMW miles (805,000 km)
    2007 R1200RT, 2014 R1200RT, R25/3, R51/3, R67/3, R68, R60/2 (x3), R69S, & R100GS

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean
    Perhaps it's the shrunken photo. The leather is perfect. No holes

My apology, after looking closer, I think it might be the Rick Meyer logo. I guess the fact that it did not appear in the other photo threw me for a loop.

Easy

Big Empty, Texas

Students achieving Oneness will move on to Twoness.
    Woody Allen (1935- )

my 2 cents

I had a Rick Mayer seat on my R1100RT and loved it. I got one for my R1200RT and thought it was pretty mediocre. I've sent it back to Rick for adjustment, and I'm hoping... I'll let you know.

One item, though. Rick is three for three with me in terms of promising delivery much earlier than eventually happens. On my R1100RT, I ordered in September, was promised November, then December, delivery. I ultimately got the seat late in February.

For the R1200RT, I ordered in January, was promised delivery in March, then April and received it in May. I returned it after 6000 miles; was promised delivery by the end of August and it's scheduled to arrive September 11.