Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Tents

Need advice on Tents

Hey Campers,
    I've been doing some research, and noticed some tents have sleeves for the tenant poles, while others have clips. Any suggestions (sleeves vs clips)? My initial thought is that the sleeves would be better, but the salesman at REI said they're both equally as good. I'm most concerned about longevity. It looks like the clips might break or the stitching might come out where the clips are sewn into the tent.

FWIW. I'm looking at getting a two man tent. It's only for me. I've got some good suggestions by reading the past posts.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

As an owner of 4 tents I see no advantage clips v. sleeves. I do recommend a fly that extends quite low and large vestabules. Our favorite tent is a 4 person Quest with a front and rear vestabule.
    Ron R

3. 08-06-2006, 05:00 PM

friends want to know

my riding buddies want to know if they make a tent with a shield that reflects snoring noises back into the tent??
    John Shuck BMWMOA Ironbutt #31
    Co-Founder Dir. of Operations Fairfield County Concours
    Sept at the Fairfield County Hunt Club, Westport, CT
    02 GS, R90S's, R51/3

I'm with Statdawg- I too have an REI tent that didn't flinch at the Lima storm. I prefer clips though, as I find sleeves to be a bit more labour-intensive to set up since you have to thread the poles through them.

I have the Taj 3- check it out; it's a great tent.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I have two tents, one of each type, sleeves and clips. I find it easier to set up the clip tent to the sleeves. Mine has had no problems in the wind. I do like the Taj3 from REI it has served me well.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Thanks for the responses so far. That put my mind at ease with regards to the clips. Although, there are plenty of tents to choose from, I'm leaning towards the REI Half Dome. It seems to be a good sized tent (54' x 90') for someone 6'1", and not too expensive. Next weekend I'm going to to the North Face outlet and check out their tents.

I'm sure many of you have your own opinions on which tent to get, so don't be shy and lets hear them (both good and bad).

Thanks
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Rally Rat

Tent

Take a look at the Eureka Apex XTA, the 3/4 man is the best bet. Vestibules at both ends, aluminum poles in tunnels. Plenty of room for me and my gear. Slightly bigger to pack than the 2 man but well worth it for the extra head room and length. Campmore always has them at a fair price.

Cheapsk8
    (sleeves vs clips)? I'm most concerned about longevity. To answer your question, sleeves are stronger, but clips allow more airflow. Theoretically.

Stuff2c
    Bibler...no clips (outside) no sleeves, no fly. A little pricey! but like any good piece of gear, well worth the investment.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Have you checked out the camping section of the main site?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Poles can catch on sleeves as you try to insert or remove them, especially in the dark or when you are trying to work quickly in poor weather. That's why I swore off sleeves, even though they are supposed to be stronger for the weight. But remember, the tent is on the bike, not on your back.

The tent you've chosen is one of the best for solo motorcycle camping: packed size, inside height and no sleeves. I would have bought one, except it was released shortly after I bought another.

Fred

I am on my third tent in thirty years. First was a Eureka Timberline, clips. It stood up great on top of Mt. Washington for two winter trips, 100+ mph, it also toured Mexico for two Summers. Alas it did not withstand my partners crampons tearing the floor. I then bought a Moss, tubes, it was great dual vestibules went with me kayaking in Florida for ten years, no footprint and the sand wore out the floor. Now I have a Marmot,again tubes, It packs up small in a "taco shell" and has a huge vestible dual doors and a gear loft. Bought it on sale at REI. Buy the best you can then amorterize by the number of nights spent in it, Both of the old tents cost less then $.50 per night. Using that philosophy I buy good toys thus the R1150R, and MG LM1 from 1976 in my garage.

tent advice

Jeff:

You have a little more flexibility when choosing a motorcycling tent, because you're not worrying about the weight you have to carry on your back (unless you're going to be using it for backpacking as well.) So you can get a roomier model (with clips or tubes) than you otherwise might have. I have a 25 year old Eureka Meridian with tubes, which is very tricky to set up, but I put up with it because of its huge interior volume, and its weight of only 6.5 pounds.
    I was at one rally where a guy had a tent so big that he could keep his bike inside. I've noticed, walking around at rallies, that MOA members are real tent connoisseurs.
    For wind resistance, I have a set of four 10 inch high zoot unobtainium tent pegs, and use these on the corners, in addition to the regular ones. I'm sure REI carries them, and if they don't the climbing specialty stores will have them.

Rinty
    Last edited by rinty; 08-07-2006 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add something

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty
    ...zoot unobtainium....
    Whazzat?

Fred

tent pegs

Whazzat? FredRyder
    Sorry. They're made out of a really tough, light alloy whose identity is unknown to me, so that's what I called it. They have a purple outer finish that is possibly from a nitriding process, and they're so strong you can pound them into stony ground (of which there is a lot in the Rockies backcounty) without bending them. I get them at Ribtor's, a local tent and awning place.

I first saw the term used about 30 years ago in an article where Mark Donohue was being asked to identify an alloy in one of the components of a new Porsche race car, and his reply was: "It's "unobtainium".

Rinty