Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Servicing Evo Brakes

Servicing Evo Brakes

$200+ dollars to bleed the brakes on my K12RS is giving me heartburn.

Common wisdom says this can only be done by dealers with special tools.

Through an off-line conversation with a friendly dealer, I have learned that he only uses the special tools to force the pads apart in the calipers... and that the correct procedure calls for completely draining the system, flushing, refilling and working out the air.... a 4-hour process requiring 4-5 bottles of brake fluid.

Yougottabekidding!

I would be interested in knowing some better ways/accepted practices.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ian

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Get a mighty vac for around 40.00. You can attach a reservoir to it and suck the fluid out of the bleeder with it. Just add fluid at the top till it changes color coning out, and shebang! You have drained the fluid. I am wondering what special tools besides a C clamp and screwdriver/prybar they need to change the pads?
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Originally posted by lorazepam
    Get a mighty vac for around 40.00.
    Lorazepam... sorry, but this is very incorrect. In my research so far, I have learned that doing this will drain the servo-assist system... and leave it full of air. No doubt, a bad thing!

In fact, instead of sucking the fluid out, you must push the fluid back though the system. And, you must not only replace the fluid in the brakes, but in the servo circuit as well.

This much I've learned through inquiries in other on-line resources.

What I am hoping for here is some information from someone who has actually done the service, or possibly, some indication where one can get official instructions.

Thanks!

Ian

Oops, sorry for the bad information. I will have to get up close and personal with the new system to see what the changes are. I think it is a shame when engineers over complicate a simple device.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

You can use the Mighty Vac to push fluid in as well, just reverse the hose connections, and turn the reservoir upside down so the fluid will run out of the tube it comes in during vacuum operation. I dont know if this will work for you, but I know the mighty vac is capable of performing this function. It is probably not that simple though.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I've got a MighyVac... I use it on all my other bikes. It makes the whole brake fluid replacement process very simple to perform.

What I am not sure of is how to remove the fluid that is coming out as you push it backward through the system. From what I have learned via other sources, you remove the fluid from the reservoirs. This should be easy for the front brakes, however, it will be quite tricky to get the old fluid out of the rear master cylinder...

Then, of course, there is the challenge of bleeding the servo system.

Hopefully there are valid instructions on this somewhere in the world...

Ian

Blocking the slow lane
    Try emailing Stan Walker from IBMWR about it. I think he's had success bleeding the brakes on his R1150RT.

Or you could sell me that RS for $7500.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Originally posted by jdiaz
    Or you could sell me that RS for $7500.
    Hah! That would just about cover the cost of bleeding the brakes on that damned thing!

I can''t sell you the RS. The last time I saw you ride an RS was many moons ago at the Georgia Mountain Rally. I believe that you practically destroyed the belly pan on yours by riding it around the corners too fast.

And I simply can't stand to see good equipment abused!

Ian

Ian, there's another special tool that wasn't mentioned, and that's using Moditec to test the brakes after bleeding.
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Originally posted by fish
    Ian, there's another special tool that wasn't mentioned, and that's using Moditec to test the brakes after bleeding.
    Really!? What does it test?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

According to my mechanic, it tests for the presence of air in the system, and for proper function of all the sensors and the servo pump.

He said that he bleeds the system from about 8 different points, and definitely flushes things as per spec.

I think I am going to give up on doing this myself.

$200 to bleed brakes. Ouch!

Ian

Blocking the slow lane
    Originally posted by Visian
    I can''t sell you the RS. The last time I saw you ride an RS was many moons ago at the Georgia Mountain Rally. I believe that you practically destroyed the belly pan on yours by riding it around the corners too fast.
    Scraping bodywork? No, that wasn't me.

That was the best riding weekend I ever had on my K1200RS tho.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Originally posted by jdiaz
    That was the best riding weekend I ever had on my K1200RS tho.
    Oh... this was *way* before the K12RS came out... I believe you were riding a Kblue K100 or K1100.... I am pretty danged sure it was you.

This was like, 1997 or so.

Ian

ps => next time you & Sue come to GMR, I will take you on some roads that will give you even greater "bliss".... just ask GJH & WP

Blocking the slow lane
    I had my K12RS at the '98 GMR, missed the '97 GMR with a wiring harness burnout on the way to the rally, had my R1100RT at the '96 event, etc etc. I'm pretty sure you are talking about '98.

http://homepage.mac.com/jondiaz_34/....ikes/k12rs.jpg
    Last edited by jdiaz; 10-15-2003 at 01:27 PM.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

OK... maybe it wasn't you... because we first met at the MOA National in Morganton... 96, after talking via IBMWR for a year or so more. Ancient history!

Coulda sworn it was you, though... I remember thinkin: "jeez... what an animal to grind down the bellypan on a K!"

Still won't sell you mine for $7500, although after seeing what a PITA it is to bleed the brakes on this sucker, I don't know....

Ian