Thread: camping trailer

camping trailer

My wife and I are thinking about buying a camper trailer to pull behind her trike. We would appreciate any suggestions or advice and experience on different brands and styles. We're also considering a camping trailer to pull behind a truck that hauls your bike inside. I've seen several different styles at the rallys.
    Mike Barnett
    94 K1100LT

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Try browsing the link below to glean some camper insight.

http://bbs.gwrra.org/board/messages/...tml?1066212061

You didn't say what your wife's trike is, but keep in mind that a camper can weigh between 600 to 800 pounds by the time you pack it with stuff. So pulling one is quite a chore. If her trike is a Suzuki Intruder, it might not be suited to pulling a camper. But if it is a triked Gold Wing, no problem. Some other questions:

Will the trike/trailer weight differences be managable?

Will the bike electical system handle the extra load of lights, etc.?

Is your wife an experienced rider?

I have a cargo trailer that I pulled with my Wing, and recall vividly an episode on wet pavement in which the weight of the loaded trailer "pushed" the rear of the Wing into a slide. The momentary loss of traction was scary! My trailer was built from a kit I obtained from Harbor Freight. I still have the trailer, and plan to one day do the modifications necessary to drag it behind my K1100LT.

Also, several years back, a rider was killed about 20 miles south of where I live when his right side cargo trailer wheel got off the pavement and into a jagged rut on the shoulder. The trailer flipped and in the subsequent chaos he was thrown from the bike and hit by a car. His trailer tongue was not equipped with a swivel hitch (360 degree rotation), and the speculation was that if it had been, he might have been able to ride it to a safe stop.

With all the negatives considered, pulling a trailer / camper can be a great way to go for riders who tour a lot. And the investment can easily be justified when you consider the cost of motel rooms over say, a five year period.

I would be interested in hearing about what you eventually do. And if you one day see a homegrown cargo trailer being pulled behind a K1100LT, wave ... it is probably me.

Regards,
    Rick
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.